Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV 04-05 or 06 ???

Lptexastornado1

Since there is another thread on here talking about the wedge and how it affects the surf wave, my question is similar but different =)

I'm looking to join the Malibu Club and in my price range I’m seeing 2004 and 2005 23 LSVs with Illusion tower and Manuel Wedge. I know I need to be careful and find one that has already fixed and replaced the Damper Plate. 

I have found a 2006 with Power Wedge and the titan tower. 

I know the Illusion tower can have some movement and some say the Titan Tower is better but honestly I like the look of the Illusion Tower better. 

We wakeboard 85% of the time and Surf 15%. We might surf more in the future but currently not as much. I’m coming from a Tige 21V that has a little adjustability to the wake with the TAPS plate and can get a nice lip to the wake that I like. 

My question is this, is the power wedge worth the upgraded price over the Manuel Wedge? I have heard that the Manuel Wedge is all you need you either use it or not. 

Is the Titan Tower a good or bad thing vs Illusion tower?

I am torn I like the idea of the Manuel Wedge because I don’t have to worry about potentially replacing the actuators if they go out. But also like getting into a 2006 and not dealing with the Damper Plate Failure. 

Im coming from a 21’ boat and have 5 little ones (well my 5th one is due any day now) so I’m only looking at 2004-2007 (I’m trying to stay away from a lot of electronics I’m kinda old school) 23 LSV’s not the 21’ and trying to stay under $35k. Makes it tougher to find a good deal on a 06 with Power Wedge so the decision might be made for me when it actually comes down to it. 

FWIW, pretty sure damper plate issues continued into 2006.  But, they were still relatively rare, so finding a boat that has already had one replaced is severely limiting your search. 

I have a 2006 boat and have never had an issue with the damper plate. I never really even think about it.

2006 was also the first year of the power wedge.  Like you, I'd just as soon have the manual wedge, or upgrade to the floating wedge.  But, if working, a power wedge wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I have the Illusion tower on my 2006 and have never had an issue with it.  But, Titan is a good tower.  I had a choice back when my boat was new, and I chose Illusion.  If I had it to do over, I might go with Titan III.

Titan III is the best 4 point tower ever made.  I owned an 06 with that and it was terrific.  Tall, but very sturdy, without creaks and rattles.  No maintenance for me.  My buddy's Illusion needed new bushings and still rocked back and forth some.  I think the power wedge is worth the upgrade, depending on how much it is.  You can move the power wedge to get different positions for steeper or rampier wakes, like what you are used to with your Tige.  The older wedge, was just put it down and accept what you get, or move ballast to your liking.  

Wasn't the dash different in 2006?  I liked my 06 with switches, which gave me lots of opportunity to install various items and still have it look factory.  

18 minutes ago, srab said:

FWIW, pretty sure damper plate issues continued into 2006.  But, they were still relatively rare, so finding a boat that has already had one replaced is severely limiting your search.

'04 and '06 could have the problem, but less likely than the '05.  '04/'06 could be a decent gamble - '05 = replaced or better take another couple Grand off to cover it.  I don't think it impacts the big block boats either, an option on the 23LSV.

Interesting I didn’t realize it went into 06 potentially. I’m not super afraid of the damper plate issue since I have read a bunch about it and sounds like if you pay attention to the noise your transmission or VDrive (as much as I have read I still don’t know where the Damper plate tech is 🤦‍♂️) is making then you should be able to catch it before it causes real big problems, like failure and parts being thrown around. 

I need to look up more pictures on the different titan towers to understand what the difference is. 

Seems like the adjusting feature of the  power wedge is  potentially a nice upgrade. 

Any other real differences In these years?  Different trims or styles of dashes I’m not super concerned with more worries with big failures or problems vs big upgrades or changes (like Power Wedge vs Manuel Wedge) that I might kick myself for not splurging now and trying to get. 

So far from what I have read above and on other threads is it seems like it is a toss up on the towers and wedges. 

2 hours ago, Lptexastornado1 said:

Interesting I didn’t realize it went into 06 potentially. I’m not super afraid of the damper plate issue since I have read a bunch about it and sounds like if you pay attention to the noise your transmission or VDrive (as much as I have read I still don’t know where the Damper plate tech is 🤦‍♂️) is making then you should be able to catch it before it causes real big problems, like failure and parts being thrown around. 

I would say you don't have to worry about collateral from the damper plate, because what would be damaged is the bell housing. The bell housing is actually the problem. It causes the damper plate to fail.

Edited by MadMan
  • 1 month later...
On 5/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, Lptexastornado1 said:

Awesome thanks for the pictures!

Did you find a boat yet? There are dash differences like the 04-05 having a simpler dash layout, wheras the 06 and 07 have the malibu cruise and you can see the ballast fill info a bit easier in the dash, the 04-05 will have perfect pass wakeboard pro and the dash does look a bit more dated. In 07 the gauges get prettier and i believe 08 is when they switched to the strange MUX switches which I would personally avoid.

Ya I picked up a 2006 23 LSV Wakesetter a couple weeks ago. It has the Illusion tower and power wedge. So far I’m loving it. 

• Like 3