Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Back Up Camera Video Feedback issue

dielawn

Hi Team,

I had a backup camera installed in my 2015 VLX 22. The camera install was done professionally and the video cable/power cable were run properly along the same side as the other power/electrical cables. The camera works fine and looks good until the engine turns on, then it gets 95% distorted. I also bought a replacement camera just to see if it was the cameras fault and the same thing happened with a different branded camera. Should I buy a video filter for the yellow RCA cable? If the cabling is run properly and grounded as well as it could be, what else can be done to eliminate the feedback I get when the engine is on? Anyone else come across this issue? Let me know.

Thanks!

where is the camera getting power and ground, and how is it being turned on?

This isn't directly helpful for you, but I installed a backup camera in a prior car.  Did it the way I always do, tapping the backup lights for power to the camera.  For whatever reason in this case that didn't work well.  I instead used a relay with the backup lights as the trigger and the camera went back to looking great.

I'm assuming you've tried a different yellow RCA cable just to be certain that's not the problem?

So if you've switched cameras, and you've confirmed that the cable isn't the culprit, you are down to power and ground.  Where are you getting power, and where is the camera grounded?

I am going to double check on where the power source cable is coming from and make sure its direct and not tapping into another power cable somewhere. I watched a youtube video that said I should just add a small 10$ capacitor to the video feed to eliminate the noise. Gonna try that out also.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed one on my 2015 22 VLX and every time I start the engine, the video cuts out completely. I would love to know how yours was installed.

I am going to attempt to connect a small cheaper 10$ capacitor to the video feed to see if that will stop the engine feedback/noise from interfering with the video image...

@rx7mann

The Video cable was run along side the rightside/driver side gunnel.  I will take some photos when I attempt to install the capacitor.