Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing Hard Water Spots

I recently bought a 2003 Response LXi.   The gel coat is in fantastic shape (no oxidation), however the previous owner boated in very hard water and there is significant hard water spotting.  It's not immediately noticeable unless you're standing at the right angle in the right light, but it's driving me nuts.   I tried to buff them out using Meguiar's Flagship cleaner & wax with a DA polisher and foam cutting pad.   Although it sure made the gel coat pop.....the hard water spots still remain.    

I'm trying to avoid having to wet sand.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am surprised the buffing did not remove them. I run in hard water alot and have a black boat, gets a buff/ polish/wax twice a year and I use "Hotsauce" for every time I pull it out of the water, gets rid of water spots instantly. I would hit it again with another type of compound. and do not be afraid of wet sanding, if it needs it, it needs it!

I had some water spots on one of our Seadoos that wouldn't come off, even with straight vinegar. Boat Bling's Hot Sauce took it right off. Now I use it every time we take the boat or Seadoos out of the water.

TheMalibuCrew has a Group Buy going at this time.

Link to Group Buy here.

I'm surprised that the buffing didn't take it out either.  I also am in water that's pretty hard.  As others have stated, try Hot Sauce.  I have used that, as well as Speed Gloss from Performance Boat Candy, and both work well.  I think Hot Sauce may be better for removal of older spotting like you have.  As @mackie12 said, don't be afraid of wet sanding.  It's not difficult at all and it sounds like it may be what you need to do if the Hot Sauce doesn't work for you.  When I got my RLXi, I had to wet sand the entire thing and once the sanding was complete, I polished it, and put 2 coats of wax on it and it looked absolutely amazing.  I just finished prepping it for this season and used 2 coats of polymer sealant using @ibelonginprison  formula and it looks the best it has since I purchased it.  

Try using. A cut compound instead of a cleaner and wax.

heres what I use.

im pretty religious about my wipe downs and details so I rarely have to use the heavy cut compound. But with a black boats I have definitely used the medium cut.

follow up the super finish with the Jescar polymer sealant, and it will be much easier keeping those water spots off

DB406735-7F3E-4B93-9F77-19C44BB7D16A.jpeg

0846CEA0-782D-429E-9BE0-95AB67593C57.jpeg

2C97DE0C-5597-48EC-A3D3-3D74A3B5F3C6.jpeg

D94B165A-102C-413D-AD0F-C6B0C693B845.jpeg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Try using. A cut compound instead of a cleaner and wax.

heres what I use.

im pretty religious about my wipe downs and details so I rarely have to use the heavy cut compound. But with a black boats I have definitely used the medium cut.

follow up the super finish with the Jescar polymer sealant, and it will be much easier keeping those water spots off

DB406735-7F3E-4B93-9F77-19C44BB7D16A.jpeg

^^^^^This is exactly what I used this year on the RLXi.  Fantastic products.  If you follow this recipe, you would most likely be able to avoid a wet sanding. 

Thanks guys.   Yeah, I think these spots have been there for quite some time (could be years).   The boat is in overall fantastic shape.   The owner did a good job keeping looking nice, he just didn't have the level of detail that I do.

A full orbital polisher will make much quicker work of any water spots and surface blemishes, I reserve the random D/A orbital for the sealant and wax application 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Foam should be ok for water spots. Deeper surface scratches and blemishes I’d use the wool

ive been using these for almost 2 yrs

Chemical Guys BUF_HEX_Kits_8P Hex-Logic Buffing Pad Kit (5.5 Inch) (8 Items) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTGDR9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iYVYCbFTG63GP

Chemical Guys are the exact pads I'm using.   I use orange for cutting, white and black for polishing.

I use this stuff religiously for hard water spots with great success: https://www.zep.com/product/zepcommercial/shower-tub-tile-cleaner

It's cheap and readily available.  Obviously you need to follow up with a wax afterwards, but it takes any water spots away with minor effort.  As others have said, wet sanding is very straight forward as well, you shouldn't be afraid of it.  I am wondering if you have "sealed" your water spots in with a couple coats of wax?  You need to use something to remove the wax/polish to get down to the water spots.

I have always used the 3M Finesse It II on an orbittal da type polisher. The Finesse It II does a pretty good job with the right pad. I will say that after using the Finesse It II and the Jescars at the beginning of last season, I get very few spots, as long as I use Hot Sauce.  After a full season last year the only place with spots was right above the rubrail where the water collects.

• 1 month later...

I have used a water and white vinegar mix with great success. Approx 8:1 ratio in a spray bottle..Will have to re wax when you are done as it strips everything.