Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

In search of Mechanic that can Flash 03 Wakesetter ECM

Hello all!

I have been in search of a tech in the NH area that can flash my 2003 Wakesetter ECU. I have been having issues with surging etc and apparently its due to the ECU needing a flash for that year. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?! Most marinas can't book me for months. 

2 hours ago, PaulG21 said:

Hello all!

I have been in search of a tech in the NH area that can flash my 2003 Wakesetter ECU. I have been having issues with surging etc and apparently its due to the ECU needing a flash for that year. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?! Most marinas can't book me for months. 

Aah yes.  The '03 Monsoon idle flair...  I wonder how you even get your hands on the ECU image file for that.  Suppose Indmar maybe has it.  That was such a dumb problem they created with that model year to fix a dumb problem they created with the '02 model year.

10 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Peter @ smoothwatersports?

I appreciate the response! he is 4 hours away but sadly I will drive that at this point. This issue is beyond annoying...makes picking up a boarder a task and docking between other boats impossible. 

9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Aah yes.  The '03 Monsoon idle flair...  I wonder how you even get your hands on the ECU image file for that.  Suppose Indmar maybe has it.  That was such a dumb problem they created with that model year to fix a dumb problem they created with the '02 model year.

I hope to God they do, dont know a way around it. Such a terrible little glitch. And apparently no place around here can do it? 

3 hours ago, PaulG21 said:

I appreciate the response! he is 4 hours away but sadly I will drive that at this point. This issue is beyond annoying...makes picking up a boarder a task and docking between other boats impossible. 

@SmoothWaterMan is a great asset for those in the Northeast. 

You mention coming close to a stall.  Mine does not do that, idle just goes up and down between 500 and 900 rpm.  By avoiding going in and out of gear quickly multiple times helps.

formulaben
On 5/1/2019 at 8:18 PM, UWSkier said:

What was the problem wit the '02 models? 

14 hours ago, formulaben said:

What was the problem wit the '02 models? 

To protect dummies from hammering on a cold engine, in '02, they introduced a new cold-engine mapping that would often mean stalling out going in and out of gear when the engine was cold.  We had four of these boats in our ski team program and they all had the "clunking out" issue.  It was annoying, especially motoring around docks early in the morning or right after launching.  For '03, they added logic that would rev the engine anytime it detected a precipitous drop in RPM.  This was the annoying "idle flair" that the OP is dealing with.  Tightening the line would be a pain because as you pulled in-out-in-out of gear, the RPMs were fluctuating all over the place.

There was an updated flash to fix both of these issues.