Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A20 with 409 Engine, What Grade Fuel

Just bought a new 2018 A20 with the 409 Monsoon, dealer says use medium grade fuel (89 octane), what are your experiences?

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

The owner manual for PCM/Crusader says 87.

Yep, I ran 89 last summer and it was fine but I reread the manual this spring and will be switching to 87 to save a few dollars. 

ahopkins22LSV

I’ve never run non-ethenal. Never had an issue. Dating all the way back to my dads 98 Moomba outback too. Just followed the manual for octane requirement. 

I don't use non-ethanol. These are the exact same engines that GM uses in their truck lineup. From a fuel system standpoint, the only difference is the in-tank fuel pump (which is also fairly equivalent to what's in a car/truck). There is really no tangible benfit to using 0% ethanol vs 10% ethanol. The fuel system is designed to withstand 10%.

• Like 2

Great feedback guys, thanks so much!  Guess the 87 octane with 10% ethanol will be the drink of choice for my boat.