Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Malibu: Heater Question

KzooGolf

We recently took delivery in Michigan of our new 25 LSV.  In a quick tour around the lake, we decided to trial the heaters.  It did not appear that the temperature produced was very warm during our initial trial.  I wanted to see if this is typical or if I should expect a warm/hot temperature from the heating system?  Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

I don't like where the drivers seat heater outlet is placed and I can barely feel the heater, so the driver's seat is a waste. I have two other heater outlets that pull out and they seem to work fairly well, but when the hot air travels thru the plastic vent system, it seems to loose some heat...it works minimally, but I do feel some heat from them. If the boat engine is not running, they produce no heat.  

38 minutes ago, KzooGolf said:

We recently took delivery in Michigan of our new 25 LSV.  In a quick tour around the lake, we decided to trial the heaters.  It did not appear that the temperature produced was very warm during our initial trial.  I wanted to see if this is typical or if I should expect a warm/hot temperature from the heating system?  Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

The amount of heat they produce is directly related to how hot the engine is so they will not generate much heat until the engine is up to operating temp.

I've always thought the fixed vents are a waste.  The pull outs are useful, but to really be warmed you should tuck them into a shirt or other piece of clothing.

I think the heater works pretty good. The first few times out it worked pretty good. It did take a while to build heat while the boat warms up. 

PLEASE CHECK THE ANTIFREEZE.

I had my boat serviced by the dealer at 10 hrs. Soon after we started smelling antifreeze, I checked everything and all was good. (Never pulled the engine cover, I just checked for leaks, and we did not have any alarms going off) However at 26 hrs I had an alarm go off. When I dug in deeper my antifreeze was low, so I filled the reservoir. Now I am watching very close. We went for another ride and got another alarm. I had to fill the reservoir again. If the dealer filled the reservoir that is almost 3 qts of antifreeze. Since then we now have 37 hrs on the boat and have not had any more alarms.

I was in contact with the dealer through all of this. What we concluded was that when they did the 10 hr service they spilled some antifreeze on the top of the engine, that was the smell. Then the extra usage was the heater burping air and it finally burped it all out. (There have been many instances of this posted on here) But Dang at 26 hrs. I will also add the stereo guy moved my heater around but never disconnected it. That may have caused more of a release.

1 hour ago, Sparky450 said:

I think the heater works pretty good. The first few times out it worked pretty good. It did take a while to build heat while the boat warms up. 

PLEASE CHECK THE ANTIFREEZE.

I had my boat serviced by the dealer at 10 hrs. Soon after we started smelling antifreeze, I checked everything and all was good. (Never pulled the engine cover, I just checked for leaks, and we did not have any alarms going off) However at 26 hrs I had an alarm go off. When I dug in deeper my antifreeze was low, so I filled the reservoir. Now I am watching very close. We went for another ride and got another alarm. I had to fill the reservoir again. If the dealer filled the reservoir that is almost 3 qts of antifreeze. Since then we now have 37 hrs on the boat and have not had any more alarms.

I was in contact with the dealer through all of this. What we concluded was that when they did the 10 hr service they spilled some antifreeze on the top of the engine, that was the smell. Then the extra usage was the heater burping air and it finally burped it all out. (There have been many instances of this posted on here) But Dang at 26 hrs. I will also add the stereo guy moved my heater around but never disconnected it. That may have caused more of a release.

My dealer noted the heater causing some burping in the system as well.  We also smelt and saw some antifreeze on top of the motor(cover off) when it arrived from the factory and we weren't sure if that was from a spill or some sort of a overflow issue.  So at this point just keeping a close eye on things.

I think the heaters are not terribly effective, and add another step for winterizing. I was in a buddy's boat with seat heaters--similar to a car.  That was awesome, and I will do it in my next boat.  If it's not a factory option, I would have it done after-market.

16 minutes ago, ejj said:

I think the heaters are not terribly effective, and add another step for winterizing. I was in a buddy's boat with seat heaters--similar to a car.  That was awesome, and I will do it in my next boat.  If it's not a factory option, I would have it done after-market.

My family enjoys the heater.   Super effective?  Maybe not.  But, enough to take the chill off my wife and kids and keep them happy when stuffed under a towel?  yep!

No extra winterizing steps either - at least on Malibu, they are part of the closed cooling system since 2016.   

3 hours ago, ejj said:

Now an option for heated seat. And it is OH SO NICE!!:biggrin:

10 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Now an option for heated seat. And it is OH SO NICE!!:biggrin:

Yep... we love the seat heater on the new boat... but now my wife wants to drive all the time so she can sit there :-O

You have to wait until the engine warms up for them to heat up. Another good trick is to put them under a towel. We find they work really well.

56248129_10109781599772490_1354780401968

Edited by rsutton1223

When we added the inline heater Y pipe this year obviously we got heat at idle that is very warm and now even our heat at speed seems to be hotter all the time, more core exchange st speed also making a temp improvement ?  Wife really liked the stupid cheap mod!!  

Though TMC member who put in the Amazon $10 Circ pump was the real winner snd then you have heat no engine on instead of racking hours to stay warm!

snd with the fixed under dash  euro vent relocated to bottom of new sub wall , the gator step snd your feet stay very warm with the increased performance and the gator step holding the heat 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

When we added the inline heater Y pipe this year obviously we got heat at idle that is very warm and now even our heat at speed seems to be hotter all the time, more core exchange st speed also making a temp improvement ?  Wife really liked the stupid cheap mod!!  

Though TMC member who put in the Amazon $10 Circ pump was the real winner snd then you have heat no engine on instead of racking hours to stay warm!

snd with the fixed under dash  euro vent relocated to bottom of new sub wall , the gator step snd your feet stay very warm with the increased performance and the gator step holding the heat 

Keep in mind this does not apply to the closed cooling engines since 2015.  I put it on my 2006 and it made a world of difference.  

Funny story, my local shop saw the Y and thought it would be better to reroute the %$#^ thing to the engine block like most are done without asking me about it.  I noticed the heater was not functioning well and figured out what had happened.  I was upset and made them put it back.  Thankfully the part was still laying on a bench, so it just cost them some labor.    

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 1

You’d think by now they would have a burping vent for close cooled heater? ,  you can add more fluid to system and it would  naturally back fill the heater ?

On 5/3/2019 at 7:07 AM, rsutton1223 said:

You have to wait until the engine warms up for them to heat up. Another good trick is to put them under a towel. We find they work really well.

56248129_10109781599772490_1354780401968

There's a fleece blanket at Bakes online that has a connection for the heater hose, my wife and son love it.