Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question about engine size

Carl

We have owned 2 Malibu boats. Our current is a 2013 Txi with the 350 hp. The wake is perfect. We are looking at a 2018 Txi with the 409. Will that wake be different with a bigger maybe heavier engine?  30 mph

Thanks, Carl 

Edited by Carl
Forgot
ahopkins22LSV

I had a 2013 TXi with the 350 as well. I have skied the new TXi a lot with the 409, not at 30 mph but from 32-36. The wake, in my opinion, is a hair better at all speeds. Why / how? I don't know, but that is what I feel. I don't expect any different at 30mph. Also, just because the 409 is more displacement and HP, does not make it heavier. The 5.7l 350 is a cast block (very heavy) and the 6.0l 409 is an aluminum block (not as heavy). I don't know specific weights, but it would not shock me at all to find out that the 409 is actually the same or less weight.

On 4/30/2019 at 9:11 PM, Steve B. said:

Plastic intake ? You mean plenum right ?

Steve B.

Intake manifold.  Plenum is a part of the intake manifold, not the manifold as a whole.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:20 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I had a 2013 TXi with the 350 as well. I have skied the new TXi a lot with the 409, not at 30 mph but from 32-36. The wake, in my opinion, is a hair better at all speeds. Why / how? I don't know, but that is what I feel. I don't expect any different at 30mph. Also, just because the 409 is more displacement and HP, does not make it heavier. The 5.7l 350 is a cast block (very heavy) and the 6.0l 409 is an aluminum block (not as heavy). I don't know specific weights, but it would not shock me at all to find out that the 409 is actually the same or less weight.

Crusader 6.0L 409 is based on the GM L96, same engine you’ll find in a base model Chevrolet / GMC 2500. 

Hate to break it to you, but that’s not an aluminum block. It’s cast iron. To get an aluminum block you had to get the 6.2L LS3, which Crusader doesn’t use and Malibu hasn’t offered since 2015. Back then it was called the Monsoon 450 (Indmar), not the 409. 

Specs for the L96 below, taken straight from Chevrolet’s web page...

34F006D9-DEE5-4691-BDD6-6EB872B6C8B9.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV
28 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Crusader 6.0L 409 is based on the GM L96, same engine you’ll find in a base model Chevrolet / GMC 2500. 

Hate to break it to you, but that’s not an aluminum block. It’s cast iron. To get an aluminum block you had to get the 6.2L LS3, which Crusader doesn’t use and Malibu hasn’t offered since 2015. Back then it was called the Monsoon 450 (Indmar), not the 409. 

Specs for the L96 below, taken straight from Chevrolet’s web page...

34F006D9-DEE5-4691-BDD6-6EB872B6C8B9.jpeg

My bad. I couldn’t remember to be honest and went with my gut

4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Intake manifold.  Plenum is a part of the intake manifold, not the manifold as a whole.

I'm just surprised they can mate a plastic intake to the heads and block. Wow.

Steve B.

9 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I'm just surprised they can mate a plastic intake to the heads and block. Wow.

Steve B.

They have been doing it since the launch of the LS1 in the 1997 model year.  Intake manifold on the LS1 in my boat is plastic, just like the intakes on my last 3 trucks.  Intake manifold on my BMW is also plastic, and that has been proven to handle a ton of boost as well without issue (mine sees 16psi on the regular...and folks have doubled that).  Plastic is the norm now.

So what motor is the m6di?? Thought it was an ls3. Noticed my new boat has a plastic intake also. Also different is the air intake now faces the front of the boat.

22 minutes ago, surfdude said:

So what motor is the m6di?? Thought it was an ls3. Noticed my new boat has a plastic intake also. Also different is the air intake now faces the front of the boat.

M6DI is either the L86 or LT1, depending on which intake manifold they used, as that's the only difference in the motor.  Those motors have some accessory differences as well that would not apply to the Marine version.

LS3 is a GEN-IV port injected motor.  The M6DI is a GEN-V direct injected setup.  

LT1

39 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

M6DI is either the L86 or LT1, depending on which intake manifold they used, as that's the only difference in the motor.  Those motors have some accessory differences as well that would not apply to the Marine version.

LS3 is a GEN-IV port injected motor.  The M6DI is a GEN-V direct injected setup.  

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

LT1

So you have verified it has the LT1 intake manifold and not the L86 manifold?  That would seem like a poor choice on GM's part for a marine engine.  

6 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

So you have verified it has the LT1 intake manifold and not the L86 manifold?  That would seem like a poor choice on GM's part for a marine engine.  

All I know is that it is a LT1 engine.

Just now, 23LSVOwner said:

All I know is that it is a LT1 engine.

Where did you get that info?  And is that because someone thinks it is or wants to market it as such?  The GM Marine site references the L86 on their site and NOT the LT1.  

16 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Malibu said it was based on a LT1.

Jesus, I'm going to quit posting anything on here.

Have a link or anything?  I have looked and have seen zero reference to Malibu stating the origin on the M5 or M6 engines 

GM Marine is showing they offer the L83 and L86:

https://www.gmmarinepower.com/products.html

29 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Have a link or anything?  I have looked and have seen zero reference to Malibu stating the origin on the M5 or M6 engines 

GM Marine is showing they offer the L83 and L86:

https://www.gmmarinepower.com/products.html

What is the difference between the L86 and the LT1?

It's semantics. The same thing as saying that the L96 isn't an LS engine.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

What is the difference between the L86 and the LT1?

It's semantics. The same thing as saying that the L96 isn't an LS engine.

Pretty sure the difference is the intake manifold

@Carl- I recall a promo driver mentioning the engine has been moved forward as of 2016 IIRC.  That will help the slalom wake.  As noted, bigger does not mean heavier, you need to drill down in the specification sheets as both engine and various transmissions have different weights regardless of displacement or power levels, more dependent on materials - cast iron, aluminum, plastic.  Engine weights can be a challenge to find.  A good resource is the GM Powertrain Marine engine website.