Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on how much my boat might be worth

erikj

2 hours ago, gregtay said:

Outrageously expensive (can’t remember exactly... but I want to say $10k?) and shipping is at least $1k. I think I paid 3k for mine and $500 to get it shipped to me. 

Yeah the dude told me 11k installed

25 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

If you are happy with the boat and just want surf automation, why not put a few grand into this one by adding GSA and any ballast automation you may need.

FAR cheaper than buying a newer boat...

Yeah I was actually just checking this out, would be a cool build but holy time investment. https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/diy-surf-devices/stealth-gates-diy-surf-gates-on-2007-lsv-r93/

I would think if you didn't do the whole controller, GPS thing then you could get into it for ~$1,000

For me 4k on a GSA is kind of out of the question.. 

8 minutes ago, tbullard said:

I don't I just bookmarked them a few months ago when I saw them mentioned here.

Looks like they are actually in my neck of the woods here in UT, I sent them an email, pretty solid deal for sure. 

23 hours ago, erikj said:

For me 4k on a GSA is kind of out of the question.. 

Paid TMC members get 10% off.  But of you can't afford 4k on an upgrade, how do you think you could possibly afford a newer boat?  

The Infinity Wave option is neat.  Theirs doesn't have a controller and I hear the wiring is a real crap show, but otherwise a nice product.  You can likely do their setup, fixing the wiring and get a different controller while being ahead money wise, but I don't think I would run their product as-is.  

1 minute ago, Nitrousbird said:

Paid TMC members get 10% off.  But of you can't afford 4k on an upgrade, how do you think you could possibly afford a newer boat?  

The Infinity Wave option is neat.  Theirs doesn't have a controller and I hear the wiring is a real crap show, but otherwise a nice product.  You can likely do their setup, fixing the wiring and get a different controller while being ahead money wise, but I don't think I would run their product as-is.  

Haterade. 

I could for sure afford a new boat at a higher monthly payments but dropping 4k out of pocket is a different story.   Plus 4k is a rip off for what you get, infinity is half price.  Tell those guys you can't run it out of the box, pretty sure they will tell you otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, erikj said:

I could for sure afford a new boat at a higher monthly payments but dropping 4k out of pocket is a different story. 

Pretend like you are paying the higher payment, put extra in the GSA cookie jar, break jar and spend money when you get to $4k.  Reap the benefits of surf system AND new lower payments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, erikj said:

Haterade. 

I could for sure afford a new boat at a higher monthly payments but dropping 4k out of pocket is a different story.   Plus 4k is a rip off for what you get, infinity is half price.  Tell those guys you can't run it out of the box, pretty sure they will tell you otherwise. 

Why wouldn't you simply save the payment difference up and buy a surf system?  Doesn't sound like a bigger payment would be in your best interest.

Did I say you couldn't run the Infinity out of the box?  No.  Would I?  No.  A member here I am friends with recently did an install on a Centurion and discussed with me the hack job of wiring they do.  Then you don't get an automated controller.  So you are getting a lesser system for that lesser money.  As I said, again: You can likely do their setup, fixing the wiring and get a different controller while being ahead money wise, but I don't think I would run their product as-is.  Wiring is real important on those, as if something jacks up with a tab down, you are going to have a bad day.  Reliability is key here boys and girls.

https://lubbock.craigslist.org/boa/d/lubbock-malibu-wakesetter-23-lsv/6850758309.html

I’m actually selling my 2005 23’ LSV. Has 464 hours engine replaced at 300 hours by previous owner due to oil pick up line dropping and engine failure current engine has 164 hours I have it listed at $38k. Have had two offers for $35k. Actually was doing a lake test to sell it to a guy that drove in 5 hours to get it. Fortunately for him damper plate let loose a spring. I had run it up the lake and it was perfect. Heard a tiny rattle turned off engine and the spring stuck between starter and flywheel so no start. Guy had to go home boatless. Good thing for sea trials. Would’ve hated a call two days later saying boat was broken. Anyways getting repaired now gonna cost about $2k but Engine will be checked out by mechanic and damper/flywheel problem for that engine year will be fixed. 

Edited by joaquin12345
Added location
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, joaquin12345 said:

Anyways getting repaired now gonna cost about $2k but Engine will be checked out by mechanic and damper/flywheel problem for that engine year will be fixed. 

Make sure they install a new bell housing as well. Many believe that is a contributor to the failure. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Make sure they install a new bell housing as well. Many believe that is a contributor to the failure. 

Good call.  At least one guy on here checked his out after a flexplate failure and found that the bellhousing was out of spec - center was not center. 

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Good call.  At least one guy on here checked his out after a flexplate failure and found that the bellhousing was out of spec - center was not center. 

Yep.  It seems on the '05 it is a matter of when, not if, it will fail.  Had these been sold in a higher volume I would imagine a class action lawsuit against Indmar for the problem.