Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Truck brakes

mackie12

Morning Bu Crew,

I will be changing brakes on my truck (Chev 3/4 Ton DSL) and am curious on what pads/rotors other are using. I have done my research but am waffling on buying "Powerstop" kit, all reviews are good but on the same note alot of Dmax owners are saying OEM are the best way to go. anyone have any experience?

7 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

Morning Bu Crew,

I will be changing brakes on my truck (Chev 3/4 Ton DSL) and am curious on what pads/rotors other are using. I have done my research but am waffling on buying "Powerstop" kit, all reviews are good but on the same note alot of Dmax owners are saying OEM are the best way to go. anyone have any experience?

I did powerstop on my DD (Scion tC).  They are ok.  Not a ton of improvement from the stock brakes/pads.  I probably wouldn't go with them again for the sole reason that they were more expensive and didn't give me the performance gain I was hoping for.

I've run the power stop, EBC black, EBC green, and NAPA, to name a few.

Power stop were nothing special. They did last a decent amount of time, no noise or pulsing during their lifespan.

EBC black are OEM style. They stopped better than the OEM they replaced, but they didn't last very long. I think OEM went 20k and the EBC went around 15. This was on my wife's car that is all stop and go driving.

EBC green are a step up from black on the performance level. They stopped better than stock and lasted almost as long. These were on a little car so can't comment on comparison to SUV/truck use.

NAPA, just put those on the truck. They feel more substantial in initial feel but overall in hard braking I don't think they are better than the OEM 'yota.

EBC makes some nice pads and stand behind their product.  Back when I had my '02 Avalanche, I did a lot of work to improve it's awful braking.  I found the EBC Yellow Stuff pads to work well but they liked to chew up rotors.

My go to now has been Akebono on pretty much everything.  They are an OEM supplier for a few brands, not overpriced, perform well and tend to be lower on the dust side of things.  I learned my lesson long ago about avoiding your typical auto parts store pads.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

Thanks gents, think I am going to stick with OEM and upgrade the brake lines, I here that helps with the "Sponge" feeling....

I wouldn't bother with the brake lines unless they are worn/damaged.  Flushing the brake system would be a good idea though.

15 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I wouldn't bother with the brake lines unless they are worn/damaged.  Flushing the brake system would be a good idea though.

This. Many people overlook the brake fluid changes. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and will start to get spongy, especially when the calipers start to get hot. It also becomes pretty acidic.

I am running powerstops.  I replaced my rotors, calipers, lines and fluid at the same time.  I had to replace calipers as two were failing.  For me, it was cheaper to go with the complete package than to keep OEM. 

Overall, they are just like others said, ok.  Would I run them again, maybe for the drilled and slotted rotors but not a significant difference over OEM.

I haven't had to do rotors on my 2014 or 2018 Rams. And only one set of pads on my 2014 Dodge. However on my 08 I did quite a few. Rotors were right at $70.00 each and the calipers were about $45 each. And they looked identical to the OEM. However, I always used OEM pads. They were worth paying for. On all the other trucks I can pull them in and change the pads quicker than delivery/pickup at the shop.

I went to the power stops on both my wifes escalade and my f250. They look nice and were much better then the brakes that were on my truck when I got it. But the rotors were warped and had crappy pads. 
I put a Baer brike kit on a previous truck (01 gmc 1500) and that was a huge improvement. But it was also a 6 piston caliper. 
The power strops are great for the price but are not comparable to a true upgrade (BAER, SSBC, Brembo etc.)

I just did the fronts on my 2500 Ram Cummins. Went with OEM. The originals lasted 85k. My backs are still okay. My rotors were perfect.

• Like 3