Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Problems with 2009 VLX Malivew screen?

I have a 2009 Wakesetter VLX with the Maliview screen (running vA16). I've seen on here that people have been having issues with the screen on Maibu's of this year randomly turning on and off.

I just got the boat this winter and have only been on the water 4 times. This first couple times went fine with no screen issues. I went out yesterday and the screen took a couple minutes before turning on at all. Once it did turn on a few minutes after starting the boat, it worked fine the entire time I had the boat out. When I took the boat out today, my screen was worse. For the first 20-30 minutes this morning, my screen was all wavy (see YouTube video below):

I tried shutting down the engine, turning it back on. I also tried completely shutting the battery power to the boat and turning that back on. No matter what I tried, the screen was like what is seen in the video...all wavy.

Luckily, after about 20-30 minutes it started to clear up a bit. Just enough to see what is on the screen, but still a little bit wavy. Then after another 10 minutes or so, it cleared all the way up and started working perfectly fine. I had the boat out another hour or so and the screen worked flawlessly the rest of the trip. After the boat was off for about 5 hours, I went and checked the screen. This time, the screen started right up with no issues at all.

I looked behind the screen to see if anything might be loose, but it doesn't appear to be a simple check (see attached image of under the dash). The connections I could easily check appeared to be tight. Would the problem I am having likely be a loose connection? Or would it likely be something else?

Could it be a temperature thing? The other times I took the boat out, it was later in the day (and warmer). Today was a little cooler in the morning and once it warned up a bit, it started working just fine.

How would you go about addressing this? I'd hate to have a big day planned and the screen ruin the entire day!

Thanks!!!

Under Dash.jpg

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this wavy screen? What should I try to see about fixing it?

Thanks!

Possible fix if anyone is running into the same issue:

I stopped into a Malibu dealer close to me and talked with a service tech. As soon as I started to describe the issue, he immediately said it was likely a low battery. He said if the battery is a little low, the boat can still start up fine, but the screen might not have enough power to run correctly. He said he's run into that before and just making sure the batteries are charged fixes the issue.

He also said a lot of people (including me) are under the assumption when the battery perko switched is turned off, the batteries are completely shut down. This isn't the case and the do drain over time if not charged. He suggested just leaving a trickle charger plugged in when the boat is not in use.

This makes sense as I do not know how old these batteries are. They came with the boat when I purchased in this past Winter. I did charge them (with a trickle charger) when I got it, and again before I put it in the water. This would likely explain why the screen worked fine the first couple times I took it out (shortly after a full charge), then had the recent issues (possibly once the battery was drained a little after the boat sat for a while before I took it out again).

It also likely explains why the problem only presents itself when I first start the boat. After a period of time (maybe after the battery charges enough), the screen starts to work fine and I no longer have any issues the rest of my day on the water.

If anyone searches the forum with a similar problem and comes across this thread, try to make sure your battery is fully charged.

This is why I always recommend an onboard battery charger. Just plug the boat in when you get home and you always have fully charged batteries when you head to the lake. So many boats get put away with partially charged batteries, then underperform next trip out. Especially if you park in a cove and play stereo at the end of the day.  Rarely does the drive to the ramp charge the batts all the he way up. 

I'm new to boating so this was a good thing to learn early on. I live on the water so my boat is on a lift during the season. Now I'll make sure to always plug in the trickle charger each time I end a trip out on the water.

I'm sure there's tons more that I don't know yet :)

Bummer. The battery is not my problem. I am back to thinking this is a loose connection somewhere.

I took the boat out today for a couple hours and the screen never started working. It was just a blank screen for the first couple hours. Then in some rough water, the screen started to show some life and get all wavy. When I would hit the top of the dash, the screen would change. Each time I would bump the dash or push on the screen itself the wavy screen would change and almost come into focus.

The functionality actually works just fine. When the screen was almost in focus, I could use the buttons to switch screens, set rider presets, etc...all just fine. It's just the display is not showing some of the time and not showing clearly other times. It sure sounds like a loose connection to me. Does anyone know where the connection to the display screen is (from the above attached picture of underneath my dash)? I don't want to go messing around with a bunch of wires if I know which specific one I should check to make sure its got a good tight connection.

Thanks!

Edited by Fish209

Between the backside center mass of the Malivue and the dreaded POS black box (RFX-3000 on my ‘10) is a blue RCA cable that is the actual screen cable between the 2. It has clear screw on cable end caps to secure the cable to the heads. I would check the cable connection for the blue cable at the Black box, behind the amp board, to ensure it is seated into the Malivue screen receptacle. I couldn't count the hours I spent diagnosing, strain relieving, soldering and other wise screwing with that damn thing to make sure I had good connections for the radio, Malivue etc... It possibly could be loose on the backside of the Malivue, but that is highly unlikely as that end felt like it was inserted with a bearing press when I was messing with mine. Goodman luck. Bill

A low voltage issue will cause dash/screen issues but mostly MUX issues in my experience. What you describe sounds like the blue cable. I had ALL kinds of other issues with the connections on the BB for the radio and the MR-55 remote in the dash. That was isolated to the radio and dash remote functions though. Short of a bad or loose cable connection I would “guess” the screen, but I think that is unlikely. The screen really has no function except as a TV. The left and right push buttons have their own ports, cables and connections on the back of the respective sides of the screen. The tach and speedo are the same as well. The MUX if so equipped are run through the Viper and aren’t connected directly to the screen. A quick tell would be to power up the Malivue and smack the amp board. In this situation this is the best diagnostic tool you have for that POC. Good luck.

I messaged the old owner of the boat asking if he ever had any issues with the screen and he let me know the blue wire did come loose one time. He made sure it was a good connection and didn't have the issue again. This and wdr idea of the loose blue wire makes me really think that is the problem.

Problem is, where is this darn blue wire? I see a couple really thin blue wires that all seem like they have good connections to what I can feel. All the wires exposed when I look under the dash are zip tied together tightly so I can easily access any of them individually. I easily removed the black Medallion box cover which only really exposed the fuses. Is the connection at the end of the blue wire I'm looking for inside this box in the attached image under the dash (where all the fuses are)?

What blue wire should I be looking for and where is the connection I should be checking? How can I access where it connects to the back of the screen?

Thanks!!!

Box.jpg

Edited by Fish209

I reached out to previous owner that I purchased the boat from and he helped out. He let me know he had this happen to him and it took him a while to figure it out, but eventually did. It was a loose connection.

Here's what worked for me if anyone else has this issue:

It was a blue wire under the dash. The AV cable that goes into the blue box (pictured) towards the bow when you are under the dash. Make sure that video cable is plugged in securely. Then follow it all the way back up the back of the dash to where it connects behind the screen. Make sure that connection is secure also. Both mine appeared okay, but after wiggling and push both ends in, the screen is now working fine.

Blue Box.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Update (in case anyone searches with a similar issue):

The screen worked for a bit after my last attempt to make sure all the cables were tight and secure. Then it just went completely blue and never changed no matter what I tried. It was just a solid blue screen. I took it in and they initially thought the entire screen needed to be replaced. They ordered a new screen and after putting it in, the screen was still just solid blue. They returned the new screen and talked directly with a Malibu technician. The Malibu tech told him to try replacing the RCA Audio/Video cable.

I purchased an $8 Cable and wouldn't you know it...that seems to have been the problem! My blue screen is gone and I can see a fully functioning screen for the first time in months.

So, if anyone has similar issues with their MaliView screen, definitely try replacing the RCA Audio/Video Cables first!!!! Easy and CHEAP fix!!!!!

• 7 months later...

How did you reach the back of the screen? Did you take the screen out of the dash or were you able to unscrew the pan on the underside and reach it. I’m having a problem where my screen is just scrolling through the same screen like an old projector playing the same picture. I can’t even read what is on the screen because it is scrolling through to fast. 
thanks in advance. 

Edited by Hoff09
7 hours ago, Hoff09 said:

How did you reach the back of the screen? Did you take the screen out of the dash or were you able to unscrew the pan on the underside and reach it. I’m having a problem where my screen is just scrolling through the same screen like an old projector playing the same picture. I can’t even read what is on the screen because it is scrolling through to fast. 
thanks in advance. 

Yours sounds like you may have a stuck or faulty button. I had to pull the cluster to reach the blue video cable on the back of the screen on my '10. I had to remove a screw in the center top of the gauge cluster and remove 2 nuts from the under side of the dash pad. There are 2 bolts with bases epoxied to the bottom of the cluster that hold it in the lower dash pad. I then had to roll the cluster out towards me top first. Go easy, the epoxy is thin on the bases and when you reinstall it tape those 2 bolt head ends up so you don't gouge out a piece of the dash. I had to lift the upper dash pad that the screw goes into slightly to get the cluster out/in as well. Also make sure that you grab the clear plastic screw on head to remove or reinsert it from the cluster. Those cables are pretty flimsy. You may be able to discount or find fault with one of the buttons by removing one or more wiring harnesses from the cluster. The buttons that controlled scrolling through the screen were most positioned on the right side of the Malivue IIRC. Leave everything else hooked up and remove that head, power it on and you may ID the issue. Good luck. Bill 

I took the screen off and after messing around with all the wires was able to narrow it down to a bad rca cable replaced it and everything is good now. I do agree those 2 bolt heads are a pain to keep from hitting the interior seen where the screen has been taken out before and it scratched it a little bit. Thank you for the help. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with my 2010 VTX.  Dealer was of NO help whatsoever, aside from recommending that I replace the Viper for $1100.  I'll try this fix in a couple of weeks when I return to our lake home.  

Thanks to Fish209 and wdr for all the great investigative work and persistence to solve this issue!  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I just bought a 09 VLX and the screen is doing the same issue as above.  The picture of the viper unit above shows 2 RCA wires. I have one but it’s hooked up closer to the black wire. Does anyone know the proper setup?