Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat lift bunks

NAM75

I take my Response to my parents lake 3-4 times a year.... weekend and 1 week of vacation...pretty busy with wake boats.

I used to tie up to the dock with bumpers.... but a neighbor had a boat lift for cheap!

It is in good condition, but the bunks are vertical 2x10. They are adjustable width wise. Is this ok? 

Most other lifts I’ve seen have the bunks horizontal... like a trailer.

I guess I could add a set of vertical bunks and end up with 4” width?

Thanks Crew! 

Only issue with doubling up the 2x10’s I see, is the lack of flexibility. The 2x6’s on my lift flex/bow enough to nicely follow the contours on my hull when boat is lifted up. I would be worried of pressure spots causing damage to the hull having doubled up 2x10’s.

I would remove the old 2x10 bunks all together and get some PT 2x6’s, cover them with bunk carpet (on the cheap available at eBay) and mount these instead. 

Edited by Chaabo
  • Like 3
50 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

Only issue with doubling up the 2x10’s I see, is the lack of flexibility. The 2x6’s on my lift flex/bow enough to nicely follow the contours on my hull when boat is lifted up. I would be worried of pressure spots causing damage to the hull having doubled up 2x10’s.

I would remove the old 2x10 bunks all together and get some PT 2x6’s, cover them with bunk carpet (on the cheap available at eBay) and mount these instead. 

I completely agree with this.  Also, measure your spacing on the trailer bunks and match that with the hoist.  Then confirm that the measurements are consistent with where the stringers are located in the engine chassis system.  After that, you're good to go.