Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Start Code and Spare Key

Cuhleb

I'm getting ready to pick up a 2010 vlx. The seller said the boat only uses the boat start code and does not have a spare key. Is this true? I know newer boats also have a back up key so I was surprised to hear I have no back-up...

Must be a late production run that year to have the touch pad in it. My ‘10 LSV didn't, no loss IMO. You can put a key in it and most who have the early touch pads would recommend putting one in. I have it on my ‘19 and disabled the code to use the start/stop button mode only. I hate the hassle and starting delay associated with the touch pad start. Kind of a safety issue time wise for us where we boat as well. Opinions will vary of course.

Edited by wdr
25 minutes ago, Cuhleb said:

It does not have the touch screen, but it does have a 1,2,3,4 keypad to press the code in. 

Sorry, that was what I meant. Still a sketchy PITA that probably needs the key as a back up.  

On 4/28/2019 at 6:00 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I disabled the code in mine too. I also thought the screen started in 2011. 

2011 the first year of the dreaded MTC screen with the pin start code, 2012 they installed the back up key switch so yuo don't get stranded should the MTC fail.

They don't fail do they?. Just kidding, of course they fail every 4 years or so.

Installed the back up key switch on my 2011, hardest part was getting the wire into the plug back at the engine without it l;ooking like a bodge job.

I have the Instrictions from Malibu for the 2011 conversion if this is of use, just PM me your email if required

On 4/27/2019 at 3:00 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Can you disable the code in a 2018?  When disabled, do you just need to have the key in "ON" position and use start/stop to fire the engine?  I am not a fan of the delay either but haven't had much time to look at all the menu's.

12 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Can you disable the code in a 2018?  When disabled, do you just need to have the key in "ON" position and use start/stop to fire the engine?  I am not a fan of the delay either but haven't had much time to look at all the menu's.

Nevermind.  Found it in the manual.  This will make my wife very happy.

• Like 2

One thing you won’t find in the manual is how to shut off the engine and leave the radio on. Fortunately a crew member had the answer. On shut off, touch and hold the stop button until the engine stops. The radio will remain on. That was the second most annoying thing with that screen that I changed once the fix was posted. Thanks to whom ever that was. 

23 minutes ago, wdr said:

One thing you won’t find in the manual is how to shut off the engine and leave the radio on. Fortunately a crew member had the answer. On shut off, touch and hold the stop button until the engine stops. The radio will remain on. That was the second most annoying thing with that screen that I changed once the fix was posted. Thanks to whom ever that was. 

But there is no way to have the stereo on without the main power button "on", right (meaning the entire boat has to be powered up)?  I miss the option of just turning the key to the left and getting the stereo only.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 3:00 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I changed the settings on my 7" panel so I didn't have to enter the starting code.  Thought cool....but then I removed the key and boat still started.  Is this right?  Are my only options "punch in code" or "anyone can jump in my boat and startup the engine"?  I figured there was a key "ON" position so if the key wasn't in place then the boat wouldn't start from the button,  but after putting in the key, the only option is to crank motor.  There is no "ON" position and even if there was, the engine still starts without key in boat.

I guess we are back to using the code.  We don't keep the boat in the water, other than vacations, but I would hate to come down to the lake and find the boat missing.

ahopkins22LSV
51 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I changed the settings on my 7" panel so I didn't have to enter the starting code.  Thought cool....but then I removed the key and boat still started.  Is this right?  Are my only options "punch in code" or "anyone can jump in my boat and startup the engine"?  I figured there was a key "ON" position so if the key wasn't in place then the boat wouldn't start from the button,  but after putting in the key, the only option is to crank motor.  There is no "ON" position and even if there was, the engine still starts without key in boat.

I guess we are back to using the code.  We don't keep the boat in the water, other than vacations, but I would hate to come down to the lake and find the boat missing.

From my understanding the key is 100% backup. As in the key can be in the off position or removed from the boat and the screen will still work. Your “key on” is the main power button. Then either the code has to be entered or you just push start if the code was disabled. I also believe that you only have to enter the code once if the main power stays on. If I was storing my boat on a hoist at my house I’d probably enable the code again, especially if you only have to enter it once per main power startup. 

• 2 months later...

newb here and just got a used 2014.  the mls ignition code has been disabled since I purchased.  I am wondering if I re-enable it will it force me to remember an old code from the previous owner or will it just prompt me to provide a new code?  I purchased from a random dealer and the boat came with no paperwork.  I don't mind using it as is, I just have small kids that like to push buttons sometimes, and I might find it handy to enable the code.  Thanks in advance

On 8/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

LIke Woody Allen once said...

Who cares what that pedo thinks?? lol yeah I wish I could have found a boat I liked at my local dealer, just wasn't in the cards.  Too hard to find all the options I needed during the middle of boating season, but not for lack of trying.  Oh well, I ended up saving a pile of cash and didn't have to capitulate on features.  Truthfully, my boat mechanic is really good, I can't imagine any reason why I would need to take it in to the local dealer.  Local dealer is still happy with me though as I buy all my boat gear, parts, etc there.

• 3 years later...