Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading sound system in '09 Yamaha 232 Limited S

merlinjet

Hi folks, new the forum and I'm coming out of the chocks with a few questions. I'm upgrading a 2009 232 Limited S with a new sound system. Here's my equipment list:

2 x Kicker 6.5" (65 watts RMS)
4 x Kicker 8" (2 in the cabin, 2 in tower cans) (150 watts RMS}
1 x Kicker 10" Freeair Sub (175 watts RMS)
Kenwood KMR-M325BT w/KCA-R55MR remote control
2 x Polk D4000.4 or 1x Rockville RXM8BTB 8 Channel Amplifier

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/pad4000
https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rxm8btb/

Since I'm a noob at this, I have some basic questions:
What's the general consensus on this equipment list?
How would I configure the amp(s) to the speakers to get the best output?
For those of you that have put cans on a 232 Limited tower, is this in the "too hard to do" category from a wiring perspective?

Any input would be welcome. I don't really know my a$$ from third base about audio installation but want to give it a go.

is that what you have on hand, or looking to go with? With limited audio experience, I would highly suggest finding a credible retail source that can assist with these very questions, and many more. 

I would steer clear of that 8 chnl amp. It appears that its only going to work as a single 8 chnl amp or two 4 chnl amps. This means, that in the best configuration, the woofer will be tied to the tower volume. SO say you wanted to use "FADE" as a simple tower/in-boat volume control, you lose woofer volume if you want to dial back down tower volume. Conversely, if you dial down the in-boats to play the tower louder, the woofer will be playing somewhat by itself in the cabin zone. 

Given that list of speakers, id go with a 5 or 6 chnl for the in-boats and woofer, then a 2 chnl or bridged 4 chnl for the tower speakers.  

I have not purchased any equipment yet.  I was waiting to get some feedback from the forum before dove in.  How would I set up a 5 or 6 channel to run 4 150w 8" speakers and 2 65w 6.5" speakers?  II suppose I could change the speaker selection if that's the fly in the ointment. I don't have a choice on the two 6.5's since they fit between fixed cushions in the bow.  However, the two 6.5's I am replacing with the 8's in the aft cabin could stay 6.5's, but I was hoping to boost the sound level back there with the 8's.  The 10" sub would also be an add to the cabin setup.

Edited by merlinjet
3 hours ago, merlinjet said:

How would I set up a 5 or 6 channel to run 4 150w 8" speakers and 2 65w 6.5" speakers?

It would only power the pair of 6.5" and 8" in-boats and woofer. 

Separate amp for tower pair. 

Ok, so how about a 5 channel, say 100 x 4 @ 4 ohms for cabin: Channel 5 bridged for sub, parallel the 8's, and series on the 6.5"?  Two channel 100w x 2 parallel for tower 8's?

4 channels, 4 speakers = 1 speaker p chnl. Again, dont hesitate to enlist the help of wham ever you are purchasing from. They can assist with the proper speaker and RCA configuration, amp setup and tuning. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:55 AM, MLA said:

4 channels, 4 speakers = 1 speaker p chnl. Again, dont hesitate to enlist the help of wham ever you are purchasing from. They can assist with the proper speaker and RCA configuration, amp setup and tuning. 

I think I'm going to try the Exile Javelin 5 ch with their Zone Controller Preamp.  The preamp mated to their Bluetooth receiver basically eliminates the need for the new HU.  I be wiring using the diagram in the link attached (fifth one down).  Will I be able wire the cabin 8's and 6.5's as they depict?

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/Exile_XM_Amp_wiring_guide.pdf

Edited by merlinjet

Ok, settling in on reality here, I've come up with a new 2 amp plan:

Replace existing Seaworthys with Kicker 6.5"s in the cabin and bow and add the Kicker IB Sub. These would all be powered by a Polk 5000.5 amp.

Add 2 x Kicker 8" cans to the tower powered by a Polk 2000.2 amp.

All these controlled from an Exile ZLD 3 zone controller with BT receiver. This makes the replacing the HU/remote a waste of time and money.

The Kicker 8" replacement I planned for the rear cabin 6.5"s became a real pain trying to match amps to their power demand (150w) and integrate them with the bow 6'5"s as a zone. So, I'm going the KISS route and sticking with 6.5"s for now all around; will add 2 more 6.5"s midship next year, maybe. Now I'll have 3 zones; cabin, tower, sub, all managed from the ZLD. All this comes in right about at my budget...includes some refurb stuff from Polk but I'm OK with that.

Better plan?

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...7PAD5K5_DL.PDF

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...7PAD2K2_DL.PDF

1 hour ago, merlinjet said:

The Kicker 8" replacement I planned for the rear cabin 6.5"s became a real pain trying to match amps to their power demand (150w)

Dont get too hung up on those numbers. If the 8" will fit, go with it. You will gain the benefits of the larger speaker, regardless of wattage. Any 5 chnl or 6 chnl will drive the 4 in-boats and woofer. 

Have you considered a 3 or 4-zone controller with blue tooth already integrated? No need for another external device. the 4-zone would allow the bow to have its own volume level or the with the 3-zone, you get a dual 4-band EQ that allows for independent tuning of the in-boats and tower. And no redundant sub woofer cross-over to deal with. 

7 hours ago, MLA said:

Dont get too hung up on those numbers. If the 8" will fit, go with it. You will gain the benefits of the larger speaker, regardless of wattage. Any 5 chnl or 6 chnl will drive the 4 in-boats and woofer. 

So, the Polk 5000.5 puts out 70w RMS...that's good enough for the cabin Kicker 8's?

7 hours ago, MLA said:

Have you considered a 3 or 4-zone controller with blue tooth already integrated? No need for another external device. the 4-zone would allow the bow to have its own volume level or the with the 3-zone, you get a dual 4-band EQ that allows for independent tuning of the in-boats and tower. And no redundant sub woofer cross-over to deal with. 

Most definitely considered that idea but who makes a marine grade zone controller like that?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my final setup:

2 x Kicker 6.5" (cabin)
4 x Kicker 8" (2 in the cabin, 2 in tower cans) 
1 x Kicker 10" Freeair Sub 

JLM300/3 (tower and sub)

JL M400/4 (4 cabin)

Exile ZLD MKII controller w/ BT

Got some good deals on refurb equipment so I was able to stay within budget.

Edited by merlinjet