Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Malibu Response LXI with Corvette LS1 engine - Advice

Skiosaurus

I am new to Malibu and about to buy a 2005 Malibu Response LXI with Corvette LS1 engine.

I have not seen many references to the Corvette LS1 engine and am wondering if it is an oddball or called something else.

The boat is well kept and looks very clean but is there anything I should be concerned about or have checked before I buy it.

i have that engine in my 2003 Sunsetter LXI - it's a beast - especially on the top end.   i always recommend a lake test before dropping 20-25k on a boat.   If you have any specific questions about the engine feel free to messsage me.

I have the LS1 as well.  Great motor, parts aren't hard to come by...hardest part tends to be figuring out the P/N of what you need.  

It is funny they call it the Corvette LS1, as it is more similar to the Camaro/Firebird/GTO LS1 as it uses a cable throttle body where the C5 was throttle by wire.  But marketing is always better with Corvette on the fuel rail covers.

Indmar also (for some dumb reason) decided to ditch the GM coil near plug setup and did a coil pack setup on the back of the motor.  Coil actually cross reference to a 1996 Caviler, among a few other cars (but are cheap at least as long as you don't buy them from Indmar).  

Partial closed cooling is a big plus as well.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies,  I have another question.  There is a floor panel behind the engine cover and about the same width.  It has a chrome pull tab, like in the forward floor lockers.  I can budge it and do not want to break it.  Does anyone know how to remove it?

45 minutes ago, Skiosaurus said:

Thanks for all the replies,  I have another question.  There is a floor panel behind the engine cover and about the same width.  It has a chrome pull tab, like in the forward floor lockers.  I can budge it and do not want to break it.  Does anyone know how to remove it?

upward steady pressure should get it up.  Mine is tight but it comes up with enough oomph.  You definitely want to lift that and check for water leakage.  Can also try prying carefully with a big straight blade screwdriver.

Edited by UWSkier
On 4/26/2019 at 4:50 PM, Skiosaurus said:

I am new to Malibu and about to buy a 2005 Malibu Response LXI with Corvette LS1 engine.

I have not seen many references to the Corvette LS1 engine and am wondering if it is an oddball or called something else.

The boat is well kept and looks very clean but is there anything I should be concerned about or have checked before I buy it.

When I read your title.  I thought oddly, some people would think that is a special boat not having background.  Then to read it was literally asking that question. The coolest part about Malibu is that nice engines are standard.  Lightyears ahead of other boat technology.  In the early 2000's most boats were luck to have fuel injection, much kess murliport Fuel Injected monsters being common.  That is a big reason I like Malibu.

• 1 month later...

I appreciate all the replies. 

I love the boat and its small wake.  I ski in lakes with wake surfers so the only con is that I sometimes take water over the bow.  Luckily there are plenty of places to store towels.

My current issues are...

The oil pressure gauge not working overnight which seems to be a thing if it is over 5 years old.  It has plenty of new oil, the oil pump warm, engine temp normal so I am hoping it is the sending unit or a wire.

I am baffled by the big storage locker in the floor which seems to be plumbed to the bilge.  With an empty bilge, the water will empty at 10 MPH but when I stop and the boat levels out, the water drains back into the locker.

6 hours ago, Skiosaurus said:

I appreciate all the replies. 

I love the boat and its small wake.  I ski in lakes with wake surfers so the only con is that I sometimes take water over the bow.  Luckily there are plenty of places to store towels.

My current issues are...

The oil pressure gauge not working overnight which seems to be a thing if it is over 5 years old.  It has plenty of new oil, the oil pump warm, engine temp normal so I am hoping it is the sending unit or a wire.

I am baffled by the big storage locker in the floor which seems to be plumbed to the bilge.  With an empty bilge, the water will empty at 10 MPH but when I stop and the boat levels out, the water drains back into the locker.

It is plumbed to the bilge.  There should be a removable plug in the back of the ski locker if you don't water running into there.  It's the lowest point on the boat when at rest so naturally the water will flow there when you're stopped.