Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing trailer guide poles (how to make it easy/fast)

gregtay

Took delivery of our new 23LSV today and it looks like I need to remove the guide poles to get clear the 9' garage door (they sit about 9 feet apart.. and I can't be perfect centering it every time:-O) Our last trailer you just grabbed them and they pulled out (tehre was a big metal sleeve and they just loosely fit in it) but with the new Malibu trailer the are bolted on.  Anyone come up with a good solution to be able to remove them without pulling out a rachet to removed the 4 bolts?  Would a pin hold it in place enought (looks like they actually need to be tightened in place to prevent them from moving around too much.  I am sure I am not the first person to run into this. thanks.

5 minutes ago, Sixball said:

I wish that would work but they way the designed the trailer it looks like they need to be bolted tight in place.  I did find a few threads where people cut the poles and added a pipe insert to make a joint, I think that is what I am going to need to do.

Sorry I have the same issue when putting the boat in the garage.  Only 9 foot wide door.    I use a box open end wrench one one side with a ratcheting box wrench similar to below on the other.  Two bolts per side.  Hassle but once you do it a few times becomes pretty quick.  If someone has a better solution would love to hear it.    Also I wrapped heavy black tape on the ends where it contacts the trailer since R&R multiple times removes the paint causing rust....   

image.png.86b76f07c7e820607e4e597d253805cf.pngimage.png.af5b36bd680119ff7f9951a592fb0493.png

Edited by ORMailbuboater

I drilled and tapped a hole in the sleeve, then use a plug/set crew (Flush mount) to hold the poles in place. Still need a tool to remove them but it is quick and easy.

31 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Sorry I have the same issue when putting the boat in the garage.  Only 9 foot wide door.    I use a box open end wrench one one side with a ratcheting box wrench similar to below on the other.  Two bolts per side.  Hassle but once you do it a few times becomes pretty quick.  If someone has a better solution would love to hear it.    Also I wrapped heavy black tape on the ends where it contacts the trailer since R&R multiple times removes the paint causing rust....   

image.png.86b76f07c7e820607e4e597d253805cf.pngimage.png.af5b36bd680119ff7f9951a592fb0493.png

Used the same tools last night for my first "removal".. it works, but certainly not as easy as my last trailer. Did more searching and I think the mod of adding a sleeve is the best idea (which is basically how my last trailer was set up from the factory: ) if I can easily get my hands on some 1 9/16 SS pipe.  See this post:

Just now, oldjeep said:

Someone last year chopped them off above the trailer, added a piece of pipe that fit inside and then bolted one side and pinned the other.  If you search, you might find the thread. 

yep, found that, thx. Now in search of 1 9/16 ss pipe 

8 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Used the same tools last night for my first "removal".. it works, but certainly not as easy as my last trailer. Did more searching and I think the mod of adding a sleeve is the best idea (which is basically how my last trailer was set up from the factory: ) if I can easily get my hands on some 1 9/16 SS pipe.  See this post:

Must have missed that one.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like I have a mod in my future on the trailer!  :)  

I just drilled mine at the bottom where the bolts are and use a locking pin. To get them tight I changed out one of the bolts for a bolt with a handle on it. Simple and no tools needed

1 hour ago, KHaglan said:

I just drilled mine at the bottom where the bolts are and use a locking pin. To get them tight I changed out one of the bolts for a bolt with a handle on it. Simple and no tools needed

Photo?

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, KHaglan said:

65D7AD40-0C90-4963-83F5-98976C07FEA4_zps

What year is your trailer?  on a 2019 trailer the mount is different.. I really with it was similar to what you have in that photo.  The new design does not have a socket the pole sits in (which is a really poor design)... you stick the pole down in and it is completely loose to just flop around, then you basically bolt it to the side of a brace that has two angle guides on it to ensure the angle is correct as it is tightened up.  One solution might to be to back and mount a socket tube down on the bottom similar to what you have, then we would have something fixed to slip the pole into and secure it to with pins, etc.

Can you get away with just removing one of them?  I used to just do the side that was most difficult to see while backing up. Kept a couple ratchet box end wrenches in the console of my truck . Kind of a pain but not too bad.