Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electric Pickup

AJwakedevil

Is anyone else excited for electric pickups in the future? 

I think the instant torque is amazing for towing, the extra added weight sounds great for handling heavy 25' boats... but the styling is a little questionable. Anyone else keeping an eye on this segment?

I've been following it.  I think if Rivian does it right, it will be a winner.  It was just announced that Ford pumped $500M into Rivian.  This is after Amazon dumped a bunch into Rivian as well.  IIRC, the Amazon investment was $700M.

I find it interesting however I'm equally interested to know how the range of the vehicle is comprised under a towing load.  Interesting nonetheless.  

• Like 1

I would be one of the few candidates that doesn't need the range for 99% of my driving and when towing to my home lake...BUT for trips to Havasu, Powell, Lake Billy Chinook, etc. it wouldn't work.  So for those reasons alone I'd have to pass.

6 minutes ago, Falko said:

I'm hoping this conversion, or one like it, becomes more available.

https://www.equipmentworld.com/video-echodrive-bolt-on-kit-turns-pickups-into-hybrids-cuts-fuel-use-40/

Looks like it would only work on a 2wd.  Making it work on a 4wd would require a lot more work and parts.    That and $12,500 or a $200 lease a month isn't going to be worth it unless fuel prices go up significantly.  That is half my monthly fuel bill.

Not interested in being the 1st electric pick up owner either.  But Ford is sinking a significant amount of money in the technology via investment in Rivian.   Range estimates in the 400-500 mile range.  Is that towing or just unloaded?  Rivian is 4 wheel drive.  

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/24/investing/ford-rivian/index.html

https://products.rivian.com/

Ford has announced plans to spend $11 billion transforming the company in coming years, including a move toward electric and self-driving vehicles. It said Wednesday that this $500 million investment is in addition to that $11 billion effort. It also said the joint effort with Rivian is in addition to Ford's plans to work with Volkswagen to develop a number of vehicles, including electric ones.

42 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Not interested in being the 1st electric pick up owner either.  But Ford is sinking a significant amount of money in the technology via investment in Rivian.   Range estimates in the 400-500 mile range.  Is that towing or just unloaded?  Rivian is 4 wheel drive.  

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/24/investing/ford-rivian/index.html

https://products.rivian.com/

Ford has announced plans to spend $11 billion transforming the company in coming years, including a move toward electric and self-driving vehicles. It said Wednesday that this $500 million investment is in addition to that $11 billion effort. It also said the joint effort with Rivian is in addition to Ford's plans to work with Volkswagen to develop a number of vehicles, including electric ones.

I doubt any electric truck could go 400-500 miles towing anything bigger than an empty utility trailer. The weight and size of the batteries needed to accomplish that wouldn't make it efficient. I still think its a good idea to get the ball rolling, but the battery capacity technology needs to improve and actually be affordable.

Maybe Ford is making the big push because they seem to be lying about their emissions certs :lol: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-ford-emissions-idUSKCN1S21BD 

I like my car but the mileage is not near what was on the sticker and I drive pretty efficiently.

But, their profit is way up due to truck and SUV sales while phasing out their cars.

7 hours ago, Falko said:

I'm hoping this conversion, or one like it, becomes more available.

https://www.equipmentworld.com/video-echodrive-bolt-on-kit-turns-pickups-into-hybrids-cuts-fuel-use-40/

Yeper. If we get a vehicle that can meet most or all people I think you are on the money. Hybrids have a chance.

17 minutes ago, jaciche said:

I doubt any electric truck could go 400-500 miles towing anything bigger than an empty utility trailer. The weight and size of the batteries needed to accomplish that wouldn't make it efficient. I still think its a good idea to get the ball rolling, but the battery capacity technology needs to improve and actually be affordable.

Maybe Ford is making the big push because they seem to be lying about their emissions certs :lol: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-ford-emissions-idUSKCN1S21BD 

I like my car but the mileage is not near what was on the sticker and I drive pretty efficiently.

But, their profit is way up due to truck and SUV sales while phasing out their cars.

It mentions a Range of 230+ to 400+ miles at the bottom of their page for the truck.  Maybe the low end of 230 miles is with it being weighed down with a load.

Think about the land it would take to create a functional electric filling station, the urban price of real estate makes this whole thing a farce , but  betting against the only non bailout American motor company isn’t smart though

Up here they are putting electric charging stations into parkades.  Dedicated spaces in a multi-story (or subterranean) parkade makes sense.  Go up, not out.  Mind you, the whole e-vehicle thin is a bit of a farce.  BTW, I was overseas recently and the Swedes I spoke to all had e-cars; but a second ICE (usually a Volvo or Polestar - go figure ;) ) for winter or long drives.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Mind you, the whole e-vehicle thin is a bit of a farce.  BTW, I was overseas recently and the Swedes I spoke to all had e-cars; but a second ICE (usually a Volvo or Polestar - go figure ;) ) for winter or long drives.

I call these "reverse hybrids."  I would be far more interested in a hybrid like this, as the very small (and efficient) engine normally only serves as your range extender but for daily driving the batteries will get you by.

Electric truck is pointless for most of us.  It will never be able to go the distance and imagine trying to find a charging station with a boat in tow.  

A proper hybrid solution is what we need, and not the crap we can currently get.  Something more along the lines of all electric with a diesel generator to keep things charged for long distance runs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In HS (2001) I was part of a solar car race team and seeing the technology and efficiency of hub motors. I always thought the possibilities of having 4 hub motors would be awesome. 

Just imagine the traction control and off-roading abilities with it being able to completely control which wheel gets home much power. And we are not just talking applying the brakes like current systems use. 

Plus no losses from gear boxes or transfer cases. Like Nitrous, I believe a decently sized diesel generator as a range extender would be needed. Maybe have the entire roof a solar panel? 
I do not think I will be replacing my f250 anytime soon but I do have hope for the future. 

But at the end of the day, where do they anticipate getting all of the electricity or the raw materials for the batteries.  I don't really think it is that much better for the environment if you include the impact from the battery's and the source of electricity. 
But from a tech / gear head perspective I think it has lots of potential for performance and pushing the control in a 4 hub motor system. 

On 4/26/2019 at 7:29 AM, oldjeep said:

Looks like it would only work on a 2wd.  Making it work on a 4wd would require a lot more work and parts.    That and $12,500 or a $200 lease a month isn't going to be worth it unless fuel prices go up significantly.  That is half my monthly fuel bill.

With the way they work, it would work best on a 2WD. But I think on a true 4wd system where you don't have clutches in the transfer case, that power could be transmitted easily to the front diff. But in reality, the best option is to disable the hybrid system when 4WD is engaged.

The current cost is outrageous and even if you cut it in half, it wouldn't be great still. But just getting the little better fuel efficiency, less wear and tear, more low end power, it would be worth it to some.

Edited by Falko

All these companies will continue to push until it becomes more affordable.  Towing is definitely difficult but when I was in London over spring break I noticed that almost all the UPS trucks I saw were FULL electric.  That's a large box truck with packages so getting closer to "towing" type scenario.  The issue is that most people tow 1hr+ to a lake or river .. towing AND range .. you can't have both (today).  I tow less than a mile and only a couple times a year .. I'm more of the target audience (truck bed and light towing requirements).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/21/business/energy-environment/electric-ups-trucks-in-london.html

• 3 months later...

Yes I am watching with great interest. I am already a Tesla model x owner and love the car. Tesla is set to announce its pick-up which will blow all the others out of the water as they always do. Elon has said that it will have a towing range of 500 miles. Not to mention that they have the best and most accessible charging network of anyone. They will soon be able to charge that same 500 mile range in less than 30 minutes. No other manufacturers can even come close. 

My father in law has owned a  Model S since 2012, and after having it for weeks at a time, these things are the future. I've driven it on several long road trips with no issues whatsoever. I don't think it's a question of if, but when electric will take over the market. What's crazy is how quickly the battery technology is advancing. 

My bro with a Tige has gone full E-tard on the electric vehicles.  Says he can't wait for the Tesla truck to come out.  I think Elon Musk is gratified tv pitchman with (at best) questionable financial backing and track record.  I would't own a Tesla personally.  That said, anything that actually pushes technology I am a supporter of.  Best way to bring down oil prices and gas vehicle costs is to bring in competition.  In the end, theres nothing new under the sun and all these things will expire on us.  I still think the lifespan on petro vehicles wins out but I could definitely be wrong.