Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cap and Rotor Mounting screw sheered off

LateNightSalami

So, I was changing the cap and rotor on my 08 VTX with a monsoon 340 and came to find out that fore-ward screw that mounts the cap to the piece that the rotor sits on had been sheered off. The lower end of the screw is stuck in the piece that the rotor sits on. This is just under the rear ski pylon so it is very hard to get to. Any ideas on how best to fix this without have to take off the whole distributor? I have the ski pylon out. Maybe I can get a long drill extension with a small bit and drill out the old screw body?

Also, to change the cap and rotor I had to take the plenum off. Needed to use a putty knife to break the vacuum of the gasket so I could lift it off. The gasket looks fine. I called Tommy's of Detroit and they said it should be fine but I am paranoid. Do other people reuse plenum gaskets or do you replace them every time you have to take them off?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by LateNightSalami

Does the broke off screw have anything left sticking out? I have had hood luck cutting a line in the end of broken screws to allow a flat head to back them out.

Unfortunately no, it is a worst case scenario where it is even with the hole it is in. I am thinking of getting a drill bit extender (a long one) and seeing if I can't drill the screw out. Then either use a bigger screw or a zip tie with the new hole. This is going to be a real pain...

4 hours ago, LateNightSalami said:

Unfortunately no, it is a worst case scenario where it is even with the hole it is in. I am thinking of getting a drill bit extender (a long one) and seeing if I can't drill the screw out. Then either use a bigger screw or a zip tie with the new hole. This is going to be a real pain...

If you do go to drill it out, make sure and use a center punch first. 

I don’t know the screw size, but a left handed bit as mentioned above can sometimes catch a screw and back it out as you are drilling. If the screw is big enough, a small extractor should get it out. 

I know the zip tie in the hole method works, but I hate it.

Another method I have use after drilling a small screw out, is to fill the hole with JB weld completely and imediately put a very small, fine thread, machine screw into the hole. When the JB weld dries, take the machine screw out with a screw driver, then you have a good sized pilot hole for a new coarser thread screw.

• Like 1

Pull the distributor off.  Then use either a screw extractor bit or a left handed bit.  New caps come with oversized screws to use if you have stripped out the holes. 

Do not attempt to drill it out in place, there is no room. 

As for the plenum gasket, I have reused mine twice so far.  As long as you don't rip it, it is fine. 

Edited by oldjeep
  • Thanks 1