Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cutting fiberglass

Giesh164

I have a 19 t23 that I ordered with sound pack 1. My plan is to add a sub and enclosure under the helm. I need to cut a hole big enough to fit my enclosure in to and then make a trim piece to cover the hole. My question is, what tool would you guys recommend for cutting the fiberglass/ gel coat?  I may start with just a circle hole to fit a wetsounds free air 12. That way I can get my head in there to see what kind of space is under the dash. If there’s little room, I’d likely just buy a 12” free air for that 11” ish hole. Thanks 

Edited by Giesh164

Your removing the foot well that should come with it with a big circle where a sub could be mounted, you remove the foot well ,  whatever they come with I doubt you get a full helm fiberglass under the wheel the needs to be cut.  Opening will be there with something screwed to pre cut opening 

whether keep the foot well platform as where you mount the sub or build a wall snd possibly enclosure framed to existing opening using existing screw holes to mount it as well as a piece inside the opening as s two part system , some have even mounted enclosures to their foot well ( good luck with that )

Edited by granddaddy55

A jigsaw or scroll saw will do the job, but I use a rotary/spiral saw (like a Dremel Trio) to cut the fiberglass and gel.  A sawsall will also work, but it can really get away from you quickly and make a real mess.

Use masking tape to protect the area around the cut to reduce scratches, and bevel the gel edge with a file or sandpaper after cutting to prevent chips or cracking.

I really like my multi tool, I would also second a Dremel style tool.  I personally view a sawsall as a demolition tool.

• Like 2

I've made some really clean cuts with a jigsaw.  Just make sure you chamfer the gelcoat with a dremel sanding bit.  Also good for cleaning the cuts up overall.  I agree with @granddaddy55 that I'd bet there is a pre-cut panel in there...was he correct?