Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Just Ride tour - what to expect?

hethj7

The tour is coming through KC this year and I’ve never been.  For those that have, what should we expect here?   I gather folks sign up for sessions and assume that each session is a little bit of riding, checking out the boats, and presumably the pros offering up a few tips.   

For those in the KC area, the stop is on May 19th.    Registration is through [email protected].  

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

The tour is coming through KC this year and I’ve never been.  For those that have, what should we expect here?   I gather folks sign up for sessions and assume that each session is a little bit of riding, checking out the boats, and presumably the pros offering up a few tips.   

For those in the KC area, the stop is on May 19th.    Registration is through [email protected].  

Niiice.  What lake?

They made a visit to my area last year with the 24 mxz.  Jeff Langley drove the boat and talked us through some inverts and riding.  There was a morning and an afternoon session.  We attended the afternoon.  Many people surfed and then my buddy and I boarded.  Langley was pretty low-key.  I was very grateful that they did wait out a storm just for me to get a set in.  I loved the boat and the wake was massive.  I really enjoyed myself.  Not sure you'll have the same experience since you already own the 25 that they are pulling this year. I'd certainly recommend attending regardless.

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, onwi said:

They made a visit to my area last year with the 24 mxz.  Jeff Langley drove the boat and talked us through some inverts and riding.  There was a morning and an afternoon session.  We attended the afternoon.  Many people surfed and then my buddy and I boarded.  Langley was pretty low-key.  I was very grateful that they did wait out a storm just for me to get a set in.  I loved the boat and the wake was massive.  I really enjoyed myself.  Not sure you'll have the same experience since you already own the 25 that they are pulling this year. I'd certainly recommend attending regardless.

My experience as well from last year. I didn’t ride but helped drive all weekend. I was in the mxz a lot of the day with Chad Sharpe. The athletes are great and it was really cool watching them help everyone from surfing to riding. That was Friday and Saturday. Sunday was a wwa competition which was really fun to watch because those guys are trying to make the pro tour so they go ALL OUT lol. I was supposed to drive that too but my daughter was sick so I just watched a little bit of it :/

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

My experience as well from last year. I didn’t ride but helped drive all weekend. I was in the mxz a lot of the day with Chad Sharpe. The athletes are great and it was really cool watching them help everyone from surfing to riding. That was Friday and Saturday. Sunday was a wwa competition which was really fun to watch because those guys are trying to make the pro tour so they go ALL OUT lol. I was supposed to drive that too but my daughter was sick so I just watched a little bit of it :/

Yes, that was a great weekend.  We had a blast!!  And, it was the inspiration for the better half to buy a new to us boat!

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
39 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Longview. 

So, anything normally setup on land for the folks that aren’t on the water at the time?

Follow the wwa on Instagram. They have tons of pictures and videos of the tours. But yes, there is stuff setup on shore. It’s a blast!

So our family had the opportunity to do the Just Ride tour with Jeff Langley and Brian Grubb this past weekend (Good Friday of all days) out in Houston.  Here’s a not so short summary….but overall, it was an awesome experience so if you have the opportunity to go out with these guys, I’d highly recommend it.

First let me say that Jeff and Brian were fantastic.  Both were focused on making sure we had a great time throughout the day.  They were extremely nice, laid back and just fun to sit and talk with.  Even if we didn’t do anything more than hang out with these two for a few hours, it would have been a great experience.

We met the group out at the ramp around 11am.  Jeff and Brian brought a 25 LSV and our dealer had a 24 MXZ so they could take out two different groups.  Not knowing what to expect, we came armed with a small arsenal of boards and vests but they had the boats stocked with a decent variety of gear that we ended up only bringing one surfboard and one of the other kids we were with brought his wakeboard.  Both guys were super easy…if you want to bring your own gear, great!  If not, they had everything. 

Timing is everything….the wind that day was unique for the area.  It was coming in form the N at 18-20 mph and the boat ramp’s on the south end of the lake so we had some sketchy conditions at the ramp.  Both Jeff and Brian were super positive the whole time.  After a fun 5 or 10 min ride we made it to a spot that had decent riding conditions.  On the boat with me was my wife, our two teenage boys, another mom with her 8 year old son, and the two pros.  My eldest started wakeboarding and after a few minutes Jeff jumped up and started giving him tips on his toe side jumps, etc.  Next up was the 8 year old that could barely jump one wake but both Jeff and Brian were just awesome with him and super encouraging throughout his whole run.  Then my 13 year old was up and they both worked with him on his 360’s (surfing).  Then we spent a little time watching Jeff surf and Brian foil….it’s impressive to watch what they can do behind a boat.  They make it look easy.  I did manage to surf a bit myself so surfing behind a 25 LSV with Jeff Langley’s surfboard was knocked off my bucket list!

Other thoughts:

Just from my conversations and observations, I think the event details/experience is tailored by the dealership so YMMV.

If I had it to do over again, I would have both my boys go in prepared with specific areas/tricks they needed technical help in.  We definitely didn’t take full advantage of the expertise in the boat, but it’s early in the season and both were a bit nervous in front of the pro’s.  Maybe next time....

• Like 2
12 hours ago, CBray4 said:

I've been wanting to go to one of these too. Nothing ever comes to Oklahoma! :cry:

Come to KC!  Or they are in Springfield, MO the day before I think.   If you need a place to crash, my doors are open.  

ahopkins22LSV
54 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I have a confession. I don’t have IG.  And I have never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones.  Does this make me a bad human being?

I too have never seen a second of game of thrones. Here is a quick videos from our event. We staged at the bar on our lake that has a huge patio area. I’ve seen similar setups on beaches or bars for their other events. I think wwa is on Facebook too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We went to the Just Ride Tour last year here on LKN.  Awesome time and highly recommend it.  I was too new to the surf world to have an appreciation for the 24 that we rode.  We are scheduled this year for 1 pm on 6/2.  They had a local pro driving and giving pointers with a Malibu employee in the boat helping. They were able to get my buddy up who went - who bought a MC a few weeks before :plus1:

Edited by Five Cent Worth
typos

Alright, we had the KC event yesterday and made the best of the weather.  Luckily, it was the only recent day it didn't actually pour rain, but it was generally 60 and cloudy for the event with pretty chilly water.   

I stuck to my own boat as it was the first time I could surf it (finally got break in done), so I didn't ride with the pros.   But, the folks that did seemed to have a great time.   

Stateamind had a 22LSV and A22 on the water for demos, my 25LSV was rolling around, my buddy's 22MXZ was out, and then of course Malibu had their 25LSV out.   If anything, it was fun to just oooh and ahh at the collection of boats around the docks.    I'm still giddy that we now have a dealer in KC, so those of you with large dealerships nearby are probably laughing at me being able to look at 5 boats at once while not at the boat show.  

I was juggling kid's schedules as well and didn't get to stay into the later afternoon (when the sun finally broke through), but I would recommend this event to anyone.  Lots of cool boat owners there, a real laid back atmosphere, new boards to demo, and some cool swag was handed out.  

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 6:49 AM, CBray4 said:

No... They said it will be at Thunderbird.... YUCK!

They will probably only do that once... 

1 minute ago, MikeDe said:

They will probably only do that once... 

Yeah! The pro's were talking about how disgusting it was. 

2 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

Yeah! The pro's were talking about how disgusting it was. 

LOL!

i don’t miss anything about Thunderbird.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, you guys with 25's have some awesome rides!  They had two out for Lake Norman Just Ride Tour.  They are something else!!!

I couldn't get over how big the "sweet spot" is when surfing.  You can make so many errors left to right as well as back and you are still in the wave.  All photos and vids of the wave don't really do it just in my opinion.  Tony and Chad were very good.  They gave my wife some of the same pointers we have been trying to give her - but go figure she listened to the pros (:whistle:).

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

Edited by Five Cent Worth
  • Like 2