Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 RLX Replace Hammerhead with Monsoon?

Looking at a 2007 Response LX with high hours on a 383 Hammerhead.  Assuming the Hammerhead has limited life left in it, I was wondering if it could be replace with a Monsoon instead?  Any other ideas or suggestions besides finding a RLX with lower hours?

yah these engines can clear 2,000 hours if maintenanced correctly.  I have an 08 with 575 hours on it.  Everyone gets tripped up on boat hours but if the maintenance was good, then they should go for a long time.  If I'm not mistaking, I rolled 20K in my truck and checked the hours and that was about 500 (if I recall).  Now I know these are performance engines/Higher RPMs but 500-600 hours isn't much!

Thanks for the responses!  Hours are 1300 on the RLX.  Maybe not excessive but without good history due to multiple owners, makes me nervous.  

I sold my Tige 20i to get a better long line slalom wake.  I typically ski 32MPH at 15/22 off and the wake is punishing.  Go 36 and 28 and shorter and it is tolerable.  In defense of the 20i, I must admit anyone who has ever boarded behind it raves about it.  I'm just not a boarder.

I am also considering a Nautique sport/air in the 99-01 year ranges.  Any comparisons of the long line wakes behind it to the RLX or RLXi?

On 4/27/2019 at 5:04 AM, Virginiaray said:

Thanks for the responses!  Hours are 1300 on the RLX.  Maybe not excessive but without good history due to multiple owners, makes me nervous.  

I sold my Tige 20i to get a better long line slalom wake.  I typically ski 32MPH at 15/22 off and the wake is punishing.  Go 36 and 28 and shorter and it is tolerable.  In defense of the 20i, I must admit anyone who has ever boarded behind it raves about it.  I'm just not a boarder.

I am also considering a Nautique sport/air in the 99-01 year ranges.  Any comparisons of the long line wakes behind it to the RLX or RLXi?

Nautique is a more solid boat, but its wakes aren't as good as the RLXi or RLX.  If you were talking about the Ski Nautique from those years with the "bubble butt," then it's a different story.  Those were really outstanding wakes.  Better than the current Nautique for long-line.

Pretty sure my truck with 180,000 miles is over 7,000 hours. Different use and all that obviously.

If the engine and hours make you nervous there are other boats out there. Keep in mind the Response LX was essentially unchanged from 99 - 2016? (or whenever they finally stopped making them)

ps. I happen to have a 99 with the monsoon for sale if interested.

@Virginiaray:  If your focus is a ski tug, and slalom wakes are the priority, stick with the 3 event options.  Any of the attempts at crossover versions will compromise the slalom wake.  I am sure you have seen the Hammerhead threads on this site, if not some worthwhile reading as you consider your next boat.  Most engine issues are not wear out, there is usually a human element involved that leads to failure:  improper winterizing, overheating, poor maintenance, etc.  Another option for an engine freshening would be a new short block, have the heads freshened at a machine shop and use the ancillaries from the existing engine, that would keep the same ECU viable, although this option would require someone with some engine experience.