Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealership Negotiation- How far did you haggle?

a1costly

We have moved into exploring either brand new 18 or 19 model 22 or 23 Lsvs. We’ve heard that you can typically negotiate down from their “dealer” price. (1 person I spoke to said 43% down which seems insane). For those new boat buyers out there that were able to negotiate, what were your experiences? We will be dealing with a Texas area dealer most likely and understand it may vary by boat/time of year/sales person/area.

Any input is helpful!

This topic has been beat to death.  Using the search function should help find loads of information. 

With the economy doing pretty well, and being springtime, your negotiating power is a little bit limited.  43% would be a steal.  Boat dealers also might be able to make up their own MSRP, so that doesn't help much either.  

I had a hard time finding a thread when I did search, maybe just bad search skills. Any idea what keywords to search? Maybe I need to expand my vocabulary!

Here is the thread  https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/67059-new-24-mxz-price/&... and I think this is the general thinking on TMC (from that thread): "A simple google search on Malibu boat pricing will take any potential buyer to numerous TMC threads that all state basically the same thing; MSRP minus: 20% = decent deal; 25% good deal; 30%  great deal; 30%+ = desperate dealer, year end closeout, buyer/dealer relationship. "

Obviously some people get a much better deal than that (I had a few dealers offer my over 30% on leftover 2018s when I started looking a few months ago but couldn't find a boat I loved.  As other said... the key is making sure you are starting with the true MSRP/Sticker price generated from Malibu and not with any crazy additions for "Dealer Prep" (freight is real and I believe Malibu standardized the cost for all dealers based on their zip code... but I can't confirm that.)

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, gregtay said:

Here is the thread  https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/67059-new-24-mxz-price/&... and I think this is the general thinking on TMC (from that thread): "A simple google search on Malibu boat pricing will take any potential buyer to numerous TMC threads that all state basically the same thing; MSRP minus: 20% = decent deal; 25% good deal; 30%  great deal; 30%+ = desperate dealer, year end closeout, buyer/dealer relationship. "

Obviously some people get a much better deal than that (I had a few dealers offer my over 30% on leftover 2018s when I started looking a few months ago but couldn't find a boat I loved.  As other said... the key is making sure you are starting with the true MSRP/Sticker price generated from Malibu and not with any crazy additions for "Dealer Prep" (freight is real and I believe Malibu standardized the cost for all dealers based on their zip code... but I can't confirm that.)

Is your bold text the same if you are doing your own build vs buying a boat a dealer already has on their lot?  I know you can do better on a boat that has been sitting for a while.  I would think you could always get a better deal on an in stock boat versus building your own even with comparable specs.

Let me know if you are going to buy from Texas Malibu - I have an excellent sales contact for you there.  I just replaced my 14 23 LSV that was lost in the Lake LBJ floods with a new 18 and am very happy with the process and my sales guy.  Not a lot of new 18s left that I could find.

I also have a contact at Waterski America in the Dallas area if you prefer to buy up there for some reason.

5 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Is your bold text the same if you are doing your own build vs buying a boat a dealer already has on their lot?  I know you can do better on a boat that has been sitting for a while.  I would think you could always get a better deal on an in stock boat versus building your own even with comparable specs.

Yes.. as long as the dealer has order slots available they would much rather sell a boat they don’t have to floor on their lot, market and carry cost on. Ordered boats have the absolute lowest cost for a dealer.

6 hours ago, Leftlane said:

Let me know if you are going to buy from Texas Malibu - I have an excellent sales contact for you there.  I just replaced my 14 23 LSV that was lost in the Lake LBJ floods with a new 18 and am very happy with the process and my sales guy.  Not a lot of new 18s left that I could find.

I also have a contact at Waterski America in the Dallas area if you prefer to buy up there for some reason.

+1 for Texas Malibu.  Just bought a '19 25 LSV and they were great.

11 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I actually think it is the opposite, you will get a better deal on an ordered boat versus one on the floor since they have less expenses associated with it.... unless it is a holdover or demo.

6 hours ago, gregtay said:

Yes.. as long as the dealer has order slots available they would much rather sell a boat they don’t have to floor on their lot, market and carry cost on. Ordered boats have the absolute lowest cost for a dealer.

And the time of year makes a difference too since the factory wants to level load their production in the off-season.

Now that it's May, in a strong economy, your dealer's not bluffing if they say they can sell the boat you're looking at to someone else by following weekend. Unless they screwed up the color scheme.

Also very possible this time of year that ALL the production slots for 2019 are spoken for.  No new orders.  Wait till 2020.  

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

And the time of year makes a difference too since the factory wants to level load their production in the off-season.

Now that it's May, in a strong economy, your dealer's not bluffing if they say they can sell the boat you're looking at to someone else by following weekend. Unless they screwed up the color scheme.

3 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Also very possible this time of year that ALL the production slots for 2019 are spoken for.  No new orders.  Wait till 2020.  

Right. Some dealers may have a few slots left to slide around but there’s only 9 weeks or so of 2019 production left. Then you can get an early 2020 slot for 5-6% more.