Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering pivot connection assembly ???

I recently changed my steering cable and the part that the cable slips through it right before the rudder attachment,  steering pivot connection assembly moves a bit..

im wondering how much play its supposed to have or none.. calling it a Pivot joint maybe it should be more free and my tight steering might have been this? i might email Malibu and see what they say about the function of this..

anyone have info on these?

Product Description:

Malibu Boats steering pivot connection assembly where the steering cable pivots in the stern of the boat.

Product Specs:

Sometimes the cause of stiff steering if the pivot becomes corroded

Painted machined aluminum

11 inches long

Brass pivot joint

Unique assembly manufactured by Malibu

NOTE: This is a built to order item from Malibu. Depending on availability the part may take up to 21 business days to complete.

2 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

This part? If yes, then yes is should rotate a bit. But the two black plastic nuts and silver lock but should be tight and not move. 

F39C5E2E-AE99-4864-A3C2-47A1C33D90AE.jpeg

2C1C727C-9361-421B-9C67-BB11F91F7237.jpeg

Yes that!! thanks..

it states in description this could cause stiff steering, so my curiosity is its function, how much play should it have? i guess sill know next trip out because i installed a new Steering cable with assembly, so if my steering is still stiff under a load and jerks hard right on full startup WOT, ill look to this part?

BTW on side note do ALL rudders have that little adjustment piece on the inside top area to make it more true? how does that work?

1 hour ago, thebill said:

Yes that!! thanks..

it states in description this could cause stiff steering, so my curiosity is its function, how much play should it have? i guess sill know next trip out because i installed a new Steering cable with assembly, so if my steering is still stiff under a load and jerks hard right on full startup WOT, ill look to this part?

BTW on side note do ALL rudders have that little adjustment piece on the inside top area to make it more true? how does that work?

If your steering is jerking hard right on WOT then your rudder is improperly adjusted.  But that pivot should be able to swing side to side without being so loose that you get any vertical movement out of it.