Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass shut down engine

Crew,

I purchased a 2004 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV (Monsoon 340) used and this was the first weekend we were able to take it out.  The boat started right up without issue and we went for about an hour ride.  The Perfect Pass was working fine.  I was using it to reference speed but was not using the "crusie control" function at all.   We brought the boat back to the house for lunch.  I shut off the battery switch at the end of every use.  We then take it out again and once it is started up, the Perfect Pass keeps beeping for no reason.  The screen is switching modes, blacking out, and then turning back on without anyone touching it.  I did notice the entire time that the voltage meter was bouncing around 9-11 volts while the Perfect pass was malfunctioning.  We were not pulling anyone and decided to drive a bit.  I was cruising along at 25 mph when the screen shuts off, turns back on and then the boat immediately shuts down.  The engine is shut down and will not restart.  The battery still have plenty of charge and will turn the motor over but the engine will not start.  The boat was towed back to the boat slip and we wrangled it onto the lift.

I turned off the batteries and let it sit for about 45 minutes.  I then switched the batteries back on and attempted to start the engine.  The engine would turn over and attempt to start but would not run for more than 2 seconds.  The entire time the Perfect Pass is beeping and showing a blank screen.  The screen is blank but lit up.  I confirmed there is fuel in the tank and everything was working fine until the Perfect Pass lost its mind.  

Please let me know if you have any ideas or help that could help me get my boat back on the water.

Thanks,

Bogan

I am not seeing the correlation between the P/P and motor not running. there is nothing that I am aware of in the P/P system that will not let the boat start. Pull the power supply for the P/P and see what it does.  Also, feel free to contact Perfect Pass for help as they have one of the best customer service' I have seen in a long time!

16 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

I am not seeing the correlation between the P/P and motor not running. there is nothing that I am aware of in the P/P system that will not let the boat start. Pull the power supply for the P/P and see what it does.  Also, feel free to contact Perfect Pass for help as they have one of the best customer service' I have seen in a long time!

Pp is very ground sensitive, pp issues usually point to grounding issues on the boat. 

I'm with @mackie12 in that a 2004 boat will have the mechanical PP system and should not effect the boat at idle/start at all. Perhaps the starting issue and the PP issue are not related - or are both caused by a low battery?  But why would it start and then stop because of a low battery?  Mystery?

OP, you can easily unplug the PP servo in the engine compartment and unwind/disconnect the pull cord if necessary so it will have no impact on the butterfly valve.  See how the boat runs then.

Thanks for the help.  I am going to contact Perfect pass this afternoon.  I have heard they have good customer service.  The wierd part of a bad ground is that the Perfect pass is lighting up and beeping so it has power, but the engine will not start.  The batteries have plenty of power to turn over the engine.  the engine starts and then immediately shuts down like it is starved for fuel.  The fuel tank is full and the boat ran without an issue the entire morning.  It was only when the Perfect pass acted up that the engine would not run... 

2 minutes ago, Bogan said:

Thanks for the help.  I am going to contact Perfect pass this afternoon.  I have heard they have good customer service.  The wierd part of a bad ground is that the Perfect pass is lighting up and beeping so it has power, but the engine will not start.  The batteries have plenty of power to turn over the engine.  the engine starts and then immediately shuts down like it is starved for fuel.  The fuel tank is full and the boat ran without an issue the entire morning.  It was only when the Perfect pass acted up that the engine would not run... 

Before you call perfect pass, lay down with your head under the steering when and look for a ground bus bar.  Make sure all the connections there are tight.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Before you call perfect pass, lay down with your head under the steering when and look for a ground bus bar.  Make sure all the connections there are tight.

I'd check the connections at the battery as well. Maybe they didn't get tighened all the way after the winter.  I tend to agree with everyone else that PP is likely just being impacted by the issue byt is not the root cause (and making a lot of noise to you think that is the problem.)

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I'd check the connections at the battery as well. Maybe they didn't get tighened all the way after the winter.  I tend to agree with everyone else that PP is likely just being impacted by the issue byt is not the root cause (and making a lot of noise to you think that is the problem.)

this would cause both issues he is having, boat not starting/running and P/P issues (Ground). 

9 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

this would cause both issues he is having, boat not starting/running and P/P issues (Ground). 

Although the fact that the boat turns over indicates that the starter has a good ground.  Won't hurt to check, but it seems unlikely that the connection with an issue is at the battery.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Although the fact that the boat turns over indicates that the starter has a good ground.  Won't hurt to check, but it seems unlikely that the connection with an issue is at the battery.

I agree.  Every other electrical component on the boat works as designed and the battery connections are tight.

One other area to check - Alternator output.  If the alternator is not putting out the necessary voltage, PP will keep "resetting" as you are currently seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I was finally able to get to the lake and check the boat this weekend.  I did everything that was suggested and still had no luck.  On closer inspection, one of the electrical connectors to a terminal to the fuel pump had broken and disconnected.  I installed a new connector and she fired right up.  Thanks for all the help and support.

piggybacking off that, why do our boats not have fuel pressure gauges installed from factory? On my Sportster I installed one as they are a great tool in diagnosing problems.

Edited by mackie12

Interesting that that would cause your PP to freak out, unless the broken connection was shorting to ground.

If you still experience weirdness in the future around this, check the key switch.  The PP positive wire and the lanyard circuit (purple wire) share a post on the keyswitch.  If that's loose or those connections in the switch are faulty, it could cause both your PP to freak out and your boat not to start (but crank and crank and crank).