Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Doomswell Neo vs Nub

mrothwell

Seems like I've seen a lot of people that really like the Doomswell boards.  What's the difference between the Neo and Nubstep as far as riding style?  Which is preferable?  I picked up a new skim style last year and want to pick up a new surf style this year, I ride behind a VTX and it puts up a decent but not monster wave.  

Thanks. 

I don't know, but I just got a 2018 Neo Doomswell without demoing it and I don't really like it. I have owned a Phase5 Wire, Race and Donelo Diamond and this board is much harder to get used to. My son doesn't like it, our 3rd doesn't either, but it is a real popular board. What to do, what to do?

A Doomswell Neo was my first board. Changing out the fins makes a big difference and will change the feel of the board. Changing the fins made a big difference for me. It can be a good board to learn surf style if you have the right size, its bouyant. stable and a board you can recover easily with. The Neo can have a real "locked in" feel with quad fins.

The Nubstep has a pointed front end and if I compared the 2, would say its more manuverable for slashing and carving and has a bit less volume. Its a bit lighter than the Neo and easier to throw around. If you are used to skim, my guess is you will like the Nubstep better and it will be an easier board to get used to and enjoy.

Neither will compare to a custom board like Soulcraft or Chaos, but I am glad I had one to learn on and you can get them quite a bit cheaper than a custom.

are there other good surf style boards out there that are decent price?  I'm no good enough for a custom board, nor do I want to spend that much on one.

22 minutes ago, mrothwell said:

are there other good surf style boards out there that are decent price?  I'm no good enough for a custom board, nor do I want to spend that much on one.

How much do you weigh?  What devices/ballast do you have for making wave?  Do you want to do tricks or just straight surf?

I've got an 07 VTX.  Run all built-in ballast plus a 550 in each corner and have the wedge - sometime use it, sometimes dont.  I use a suck-gate that works quite well.  Usually about 700 lbs of People on-board and I make sure that I put enough of them in the bow to lengthen out the wave.

I'm around 185 lbs, and most of the people that ride with me are similar weights.  I want to start doing a few tricks, but nothing too spectacular.  I have an old surf style board, but it's really old school.  I just want a new responsive board that I can have a good time on.

Based on what you said, Doomswell should be a good option for you and the Nubstep is going to feel more responsive than the Neo in my experience. Neo has more surface area/volume due to board design, so it will be a bit more bouyant and easier to recover on. Really depends on your level of riding skill. Of course the size will also make a difference. Typically for 185lbs, I think they would recommend 4' 6" as the size for the board regardless of the one you get. I initially got a 4' 8" Neo as a beginner in 2016 and was 195lbs, I got it a little longer since I knew it would help me recover easier and make the board a bit faster and at the time my skills were basic and I was still figuring out how to stay in the wave once I dropped the rope, it was perfect for me the first summer but also wasnt long before I was wanting the 4' 6" since the shorter the board, the easier it is to toss around and carve.

Since then my skills have improved dramatically and I am also down to 170-175lbs. I am currently riding a 4' 6" SC Voodoo. I can ride as short as 4' 4" without much issue, the shorter you go, the more pumping you do, but I like to ride actively. This 4' 6" Voodoo is my favorite board to date. Recent video below, finally figured out how to imbed video by using youtube channel.

22 hours ago, mrothwell said:

I've got an 07 VTX.  Run all built-in ballast plus a 550 in each corner and have the wedge - sometime use it, sometimes dont.  I use a suck-gate that works quite well.  Usually about 700 lbs of People on-board and I make sure that I put enough of them in the bow to lengthen out the wave.

I'm around 185 lbs, and most of the people that ride with me are similar weights.  I want to start doing a few tricks, but nothing too spectacular.  I have an old surf style board, but it's really old school.  I just want a new responsive board that I can have a good time on.

I've got a Hyperlite Shim which I think is a great lightweight board that carves nice and is pretty fast.  You can change out skegs to tune it to your style or if you want to do tricks.  At 185# I would go with the larger one (5'3").  It will not cost as much as a custom and give you 90% of the fun.  As with all top end boards be careful.  They are delicate.

So to break it down into easier terms...

Neo - Surf style.. will not compare with shim or other skim style boards that others mentioned in this post... Good for ariels, pop off wake.. if you feel it is to tight, remove the back two fins to loosen up.. Not a beginner board as other stated.. mid to pro level board.. Most beginners will hate this board

Nub - Hybrid style board... cross between a surf and skim style.. Less rocker on the board. board to me is more responsive, easy to spin, does provide pop off wake. As with skim boards, recovery from aerials is more difficult as the boards like to dip their noses (due to less rocker) on steep waves...

I have 4 boards.. skim... hybrid, surf, long board... none are the same manufacture and each rides different as they different styles.

What style do you want to ride is first question... Then do you want multiple boards a one board that is somewhat good at everything...  

• Like 1

I already have a nice skim, Victoria, that I love.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Neo last night.  Killer deal, so if I decide I dont like it, I can sell it.

Thanks for the input.

I am considering these two boards as well. I am 175  5 .11”   I think I want a neo, but not sure and want to scoop up on the year old board deals. 

Skills at this point, can only do a 360 on a big byerly. So maybe just above beginner.

Frankly just wanting a board I can improve on and that is easier to maneuver than the beast I am riding now.  Would love to start ariels.

The 2018 boards are a great deal right now, that's why I ended up getting one.  I'm in Idaho, and it's still cold here, so not sure when I'll get it out.