Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview, Power Wedge, Radio Problems

I am brand new to the boat owner club.  Just bought a low hour (175) 2008 Malibu 23 LSV. We took it out for the first time this weekend.  Test drive last weekend went great.    Not so much this weekend.  The radio is unresponsive sometimes.  Couldn't turn it off at the end of the day.  It appears like you can control it from maliview, the small panel right of the steering wheel, and the rothgate radio faceplate.  Not sure how these are supposed to work together, but none are responsive right now.  The power wedge keeps giving me faults and is sticking down.  The mail view screen started getting fuzzy.  It is the worst on the right side, but got progressively worse all day.  

Seller handed me a receipt from a local Marina showing a throughly service and I thought all was well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Borf722

I will try to help as I just sold the same model/year boat after owning it from new.  First off you have a rather unique boat in that it is a 2008 with Malivue which came out for the 2009 model year.  at the end of 2008 with eh economy in the tank Malibu looked for ways to keep their workers busy and at the same time sell the tons of boats in inventory at dealers (many that went out of business.) One project was to create a Malivue retrofit kit for the 2008 23LSV remaining in market.  You have one of those boats.  (I actually owned my boat at the time this all happened but Malibu was nice and sold me a retrofit kit so I also had Malivue.) 

The RF controller on the side is basically a remote for the black box radio that is on your amp board.  I believe the unit you have is a BB2.  It isn't great, but I never replaced mine. I added an Exile Bluetooth dongle and just used it as is.  You are correct that Malivue can talk to the radio black box, basically it is hooked up to the radio the same way a transom remote would be (there is a remote wire connector.)   So if both aren't working I think you might have an issue with the black box radio head unit.  If you can't get it fixed I happen to have a BB3 radio and remote (slightly newer version) sitting in a box in my garage and you are welcome to have it for free if you pay the shipping cost.  I'd chase the wires and see if the BB on the amp board had something that needs tightened

Can't comment on the screen being "fuzzy", I never had an issue. (note many people will talk about a screen delamination issue but that is not the screen you have, different screen/issue.) 

Also note that when they retrofitted your boat to Malivue the replaced a ton of stuff so much of the electronics are more like a 2009 model year.  You have a new main Viper computer lots of new wires, and even a new depth gage sensor on the transom. 

Congrats on the boat... being low hour and with Malivue it should be a great ride.  If you want a nice surf wave (as good as a 2019) then add GSA and drop in two surf sacks in the rear lockers and you are good to go.

I knew my 2008 inside and out and upgraded it significantly over the years (G3.2 tower, 2010 windshield, GSA, etc.) so happy to answer and questions you have about your boat or help you out.

Cheers, -g

Thank you for all the information Gregtay.  So far it has run like a champ.  I have only pulled a tube and wake boarded behind it, but i just grin from ear to ear.  Last boat had a 115 hp outboard manual everything.  It has two large bags in the rear lockers (wavemakers I think), and all four hard tanks.  What is a GSA?  Once we figure out the electrical issues and the wedge I know it’s going to be awesome.  If I can’t figure out the radio I might take you up on the radio.  

The wedge might have a defective position sensor or a bad actuator. I think betting stuck was a pretty common issue of the years so do a search and see what comes up.

GSA = GoSurfAssist, it is an automated surf system like Surfgate (but on your hull is actually has some benefits over Surfgate.)

If it is stuck down it is likely an issue with the actuator.  If you are mechanical it is something that you can troubleshoot yourself.  Not uncommon for the actuators to start leaking which eventually causes corrosion on the motor inside.  The motor can be replaced, the only source I found for the motor is on eBay.  I searched for Lenco Motor.  It was around $50.  Here is a write up I did on the actuators.

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/66792-power-wedge-actuator-rebuild-2010-lsv/

I still love my 2010 which I bought new.

Kris