Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

De-winterization Questions

Dealer winterized our boat at the end of last season (2016 22VLX). I called to schedule a time to de-winterize and was told it would be end of May. 

I decided to tackle the job myself and believe I covered everything. Replaced the impeller and new gasket. The dealer left a plastic bag of clamps/plugs and I managed to put them back at the blue numbered stickers. #3 was nearly impossible but managed to get the plug back in. 

I feel reasonably confident everything is back in place but had a few questions. 

(1) I noticed the coolant reservoir on top of the engine was dry. I plan to pick up some Indmar antifreeze and fill it back up. Is it typical for dealer to drain the closed loop portion or is it likely I was just low?

(2) I have not run the boat using a fake a lake after de-winterizing. My plan was to back the trailer into the water and to check everything out while still on the trailer. The ramp we launch at is quiet and it shouldn’t be an issue. Any reason to use a fake a lake and start prior to launching?

1)  I've never owned a closed cooled boat so I'm definitely no authority on this but I'm pretty certain you don't normally drain it without refilling it.  If the fluid is changed per the maintenance schedule, then it would be changed but should be serviced to full as the coolant also serves as a corrosion inhibitor during layup.  Perhaps it's just that (hopefully) it's just the reservoir that is low?

2)  For sure it is best to be on the water versus fake-a-lake.  Way too many stories of things going wrong with those things, especially with impeller priming, which leads to a toasted impeller and an overheat condition.  Just go slow and really take your time checking for leaks and correct engine temp before leaving the trailer.  This isn't a timed event and there is no prize for finishing fast.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, formulaben said:

1)  I've never owned a closed cooled boat so I'm definitely no authority on this but I'm pretty certain you don't normally drain it without refilling it.  If the fluid is changed per the maintenance schedule, then it would be changed but should be serviced to full as the coolant also serves as a corrosion inhibitor during layup.  Perhaps it's just that (hopefully) it's just the reservoir that is low?

2)  For sure it is best to be on the water versus fake-a-lake.  Way too many stories of things going wrong with those things, especially with impeller priming, which leads to a toasted impeller and an overheat condition.  Just go slow and really take your time checking for leaks and correct engine temp before leaving the trailer.  This isn't a timed event and there is no prize for finishing fast.

I had the same thought on number 1, especially after reading threads about coolant levels dropping after use of the heater.

Regarding number 2, my only thought with the fake-a-lake was getting water into the system before getting it on the lake. My only concern was that the pump somehow needed to be primed before putting it in the lake. I'll make sure to take my time on the ramp and let everything get up to temperature before leaving the trailer.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Just bump the throttle to prime.  And next time don't let them leave the impeller and plugs out if you pay someone to winterize.  The only reason places do that is so that they can charge you twice (winterization and summarization).  Boat should be put away ready to drop in the water.

I understand the idea of asking the dealer to put it all back together after winterization, the cynical side of me (and it is a big side) would wonder if they winterized at all, or winterized it properly, if the boat came back looking the same as when I dropped it off.    

Also, being a non-engineer, the idea of the impeller sitting smashed in the raw water pump housing during the off season would keep me awake at night.

35 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I understand the idea of asking the dealer to put it all back together after winterization, the cynical side of me (and it is a big side) would wonder if they winterized at all, or winterized it properly, if the boat came back looking the same as when I dropped it off.    

Also, being a non-engineer, the idea of the impeller sitting smashed in the raw water pump housing during the off season would keep me awake at night.

Never had an issue with leaving impeller in, and don't know of anyone who actually pulls and leaves them out for the winter.   Even when my inlaws used to have the dealer winterize their Malibu the boat was stored ready to go, not with a baggie full of parts to reinstall in the spring.

24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Never had an issue with leaving impeller in, and don't know of anyone who actually pulls and leaves them out for the winter.   Even when my inlaws used to have the dealer winterize their Malibu the boat was stored ready to go, not with a baggie full of parts to reinstall in the spring.

I should clarify that in my situation the dealer left the impeller in but disconnected the inlet hose to the raw water pump. The clamp for the hose was in the baggie with the other plugs that were removed. I changed the impeller while dewinterizing.