Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Owner Intro - 1997 Response LX

bmxdadca

Hi Everybody!

I just purchased a 1997 Malibu Response LX.  I made the purchase knowing the boat needed a new motor, and some cosmetic repairs due to neglect.   I'm excited to get started, it looks like I'm not the only person that would like to start a used boat ownership with a new motor.  That being said I think I am going to purchase the long block from either Michigan motorz or marine engine depot and install myself.  Both companies are in the same price range.  I would like to deal with the company that has the best service record, in case something goes south.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.   I plan on purchasing new exhaust manifolds and risers since originals look marginal.   Any tips and tricks from people that have done this project would be very helpful.  I have found a few great threads that will help a lot.  I will try and follow through with this post until it is on the water.   

Thanks,
Kevin

epFXzqchLFHSXuZqeCClZF7NEUfPdJCgVIdMyqBe

Nice!  Inquiring minds want to know, what's wrong the existing engine? Good news, the engine is in the middle (where it's supposed to be) and your not dealing with back seats and V-drives, so easy in and out... Lot's of experience on this forum, and great hulls on the "97 Responses. Good luck and welcome!

Thank you for posting that thread!  I haven't read it all yet, but I did see a recommendation for Michigan motorz.   I'll work on getting some better pictures.  Most of the pics I have are of connections on the motor so I can keep track of things.

hfqgqZ6y4hGypEyZ8m42VoJq7wxtZAa5XgUEJbE5

I truthfully haven't gone through in detail to identify all of the issues with the engine.  A marine tech the previous owner sent the boat to told said the block was cracked.    I did spot what looks like a crack in this picture.

ETjXkLgzwz78RFaS6pc0L7USt6XZWhv_N-ZGHZdK

The engine oil had water in it also.

When I pulled the port side exhaust manifold it was full of some very rusty water (same side as the crack), and the drain valve on that side was also stripped.  Maybe that's why it didn't get drained?

The gasket on the starboard riser was leaking externally.  The gasket material was so far gone due to the large sheets of rust breaking off,  I'm sure is was leaking internally also.  

The engine hours are at 2230.  So after these few findings and having such high hours I think I just decided I'm OK with a refresh and I bought it accordingly. 

I have a huge list of items that need repair from trailer bunks to the empty speaker can on the tower (I guess it fell out?)   

Hopefully this will be a fun project and be on the water soon.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

@bmxdadca:  The engine R&R on your boat is very easy.  If you use the typical cherry picker, you will most likely end up taking the trailer wheel off to get the engine up and over the gunnel. Michigan Motorz is very well respected and a great source.  Sounds like a very typical improperly winterized block crack.  Pull the engine + trans as a unit.  Also, pay attention to the engine mount positions (ie- don't disturb them) so you will be close when you re install so only minor adjustments needed to get proper alignment.  Might be a good time for a new damper plate also.  FYI - the full lump you are removing scales around 800+ lbs

Thanks for the feedback on Michigan Motorz and all of the tips. That kind of info is just what I need.   I was wondering if I should change the damper.  I'll add it to shopping cart.