Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim platform gel coat

I’m resurfacing my swim platform. Removed the old rubber and replacing with some of the cheap foam off eBay. 

I took the platform off to make it easier to work with and noticed the gel coat has flaked off the bottom. Any suggestions to stop the bleeding?

I bought some gel coat to do the repair and upon closer inspection I’m wondering if the underside is actually bottom paint and not gel coat. It is very dull and not smooth like a shiny gel coat. 

Anyone know?

From my understanding.... the bottom has no gel coat, it is the resin mixed with graphite... Again not fact.. but how it was explained to me from my mechanic.

What @kerpluxal said is what I have heard as well.  If it's annoying you because it doesn't appear it would be problematic or cause further harm/damage, you could always spread a thin layer of Bondo with a putty knife to fill it back in.  Let is cure, repaint the underside of the swim deck with a bedliner from Autozone.  The bedliners are damn durable or indestructible and may help from any other areas that could come off down the road.  That is what I would do....