Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to tow tube on 99 Response LX

sspinali

I dread asking this but where do you guys tow your tubes from on this model of boat? Is there a way to tow it off of the back or do you use the pylon? We primarily ski but do have to tow a few of the little ones every once in a while.

7 hours ago, sspinali said:

@oldjeep you're talking about the bar at the back platform? That bar will hold all that load? Do you have any pictures on how you attach the rope from there?

Yes, the bar at back.  The finger in the middle holds rope.   My inlaws learned their lesson about using the pylon after getting twacked in the back of the head with a tube rope. 

I tow from the pylon, with a flat HO tube.  It allows me to put that tube exactly where I want it every time, and I have less control over it when I attach to the bar in the back.  But, then I can only have 1 passenger in the boat, maybe 2 because the back seat has the rope going back and forth above it.  The back bar can definitely hold the load, and we have pulled skiers up from them in the past.

I tow my tube from the transom hooks and a traveler. I have nightmares of a tube submerge or wave jar ripping out my grab bar or pylon. With that said, I will pull light skiers on two skis from the grab bar just so I can have more ppl in the boat. 

Below circled in red is where we always tied off for tubing.  Rather not tube at all but when my kids were young that was the number one sport.

Even has a special tang for looping the rope.  Never saw any issues.  

image.thumb.png.b27d91fc2f8b3ed284b71e8277ead1a4.png

• Like 1

Having removed that same hardware on my boat, I think you might be surprised at just how small the hardware is holding that unit onto the transom, and the hardware itself isn't nearly as beefy as some of the newer billet aluminum bars.  For sure it had washers in front of the nuts, but definitely lacked any kind of backing plate.  Having said that, same could be said for the cleats.

Anyway, I'm not sure it is worth the risk of spider cracks to pull a tube...there's a reason many towers don't recommend/allow the towing of tubes due to the stress.  I've towed a tube from the pylon and transom hooks but couldn't bring myself to put the rope on that transom bar.

• Like 1
martinarcher

I'm with you.  I've had that grab bar off my boat and had the exact same thoughts.  The pylon is mounted to the stringers with structure that bridges the stringers and big bolts.  It's about as strong as it gets when it comes to tow points.  

That said Malibu moves boats around with cranes and they pick them up by the bow and transom d-rings.  

image.png.caca149b1eaf15c0fa705f5a012ae688.png

• Like 2

I still have my 6 and 8 year old convinced that our boat isn't capable of pulling tubes....:whistle:  It's saved me from having to buy any, and forces them to try other things.  Both of ours have been on the skimmer/trainer pretty much since they could walk before moving up to skis/boards.

• Like 2