Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What’s the finish/treatment on the aluminum?

Slurpee

Howdy All you folks that know more about aluminum finishes and coatings than me.  That’s most of y’all. 

What is the finish on the aluminum plate at the helm?  The one with the sport knob mounted to it. 

There is unsurprisingly a whole industry of choices for finish, anodizing, thickness, etc,  etc. 

I want to know because I’m doing a custom panel to replace the existing one and want it to match.

So what’s the technical specification I need to ask for?

Do you have a picture? Most shops can match the color or come real close to it if you bring in the piece you are trying to match.

Should most likely be normal anodized and not hard anodized. Hard anodized is just a thicker coating. 

The brushed portion may be the hardest grain to match.

That doesn't look to much like a custom tint on the anodizing to me but I would have your local shop look at it so they can match it. 

The "brushed" look is done in a machine referred to as a "time saver" in the industry. It looked like a glorified wood jointer for metal when I saw one.

For the color, I was in the same situation as you where I wanted new rack "fingers" to match the bases on my boat. I did some research and found a company that specialized in anodizing aluminum in Sacramento, CA (relatively close to the original Malibu HQ in Merced). I know that as of a few years ago the towers were still built in California and shipped to Tennessee; I saw a truck loaded with towers on the freeway at one point, I wish I had taken a picture. When I took the existing rack "fingers" that came with my boat and the new ones I wanted to have match, the guy I met with looked at them and said "yeah, that's our gray color".

Take a look at my thread here for contact info, etc.