Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Everything about a 2005 Malibu I-Ride

James212

Hello everyone. I’m new to the group and new to the boating world. Two weeks ago I bought a 2005 Malibu I-ride for what I felt like was a steal. The boat is nice (has a few dings in the sides and a couple small tears in the interior). I’m trying to get more info on the boat. Nice upgrades, problems, things to look out for... etc. I noticed the ballast system is in the center, filled it up and couldn’t really tell a difference in the wake. Thought about maybe getting a bag for the rear. The boat has a tower and speakers so I’m good there. Having a hard time trying to find anything after market for this boat. Would love to seadek it but can’t find the kit for the boat. Also having a hard time finding a Bimini top add-on also. Any helpful tips/upgrades, or “stay away froms”would be much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you guys and thanks in advance. 

Hi James,

I own a 2005 IRIDE that I bought used in 2011.  Mine has the Titan 3 Tower, Wedge, MLS center ballast, factory bimini. I replaced the factory cover with a Evolution Cover. Mine has the fiberglass swim platform with the black plastic grip.

I have not done too many mods to it.

If going with a new cover, and choosing an evolution type cover (no puddle poles), definitely opt for a center ring or a hang tyte system because I do get sagging in the cover right before the rear ski locker.

Does yours have the wedge?   That will make a difference in the wake (and also burn some more fuel in the process).  I have a couple bags and use them when i am low on people ballast and it does make a difference.  This is the same hull as a 99-04 VLX, with a direct drive engine set up, so the hull has potential and is a proven hull.

I ski and wakeboard behind it.  I do not surf so no comment there.

I did order the Launch Seats from Malibu to create more seating in the cabin

I have wanted to seadek the platform but as you said, there is not a kit for it, plus the price keeps me from getting into the project.  I do keep the platform covered as the black plastic will start to run onto wet fit and then on the vinyl when left out in the sun.

I haven't had any major problems with the boat just mostly wear and tear (head unit, fuel sending unit, raw water pump, thermostat, alternator).

Any questions let me know.   I've had the boat awhile now.

Paul

2 hours ago, PaulH86 said:

Hi James,

I own a 2005 IRIDE that I bought used in 2011.  Mine has the Titan 3 Tower, Wedge, MLS center ballast, factory bimini. I replaced the factory cover with a Evolution Cover. Mine has the fiberglass swim platform with the black plastic grip.

I have not done too many mods to it.

If going with a new cover, and choosing an evolution type cover (no puddle poles), definitely opt for a center ring or a hang tyte system because I do get sagging in the cover right before the rear ski locker.

Does yours have the wedge?   That will make a difference in the wake (and also burn some more fuel in the process).  I have a couple bags and use them when i am low on people ballast and it does make a difference.  This is the same hull as a 99-04 VLX, with a direct drive engine set up, so the hull has potential and is a proven hull.

I ski and wakeboard behind it.  I do not surf so no comment there.

I did order the Launch Seats from Malibu to create more seating in the cabin

I have wanted to seadek the platform but as you said, there is not a kit for it, plus the price keeps me from getting into the project.  I do keep the platform covered as the black plastic will start to run onto wet fit and then on the vinyl when left out in the sun.

I haven't had any major problems with the boat just mostly wear and tear (head unit, fuel sending unit, raw water pump, thermostat, alternator).

Any questions let me know.   I've had the boat awhile now.

Paul

Thanks for the response. I’m honestly not sure if it has the wedge or not. I’ll have to check it out when I go to the lake this weekend (my mom is letting me keep it in her boat house). Which brings me to another point. I have to find a trailer because it didn’t come with one, which is honestly proving to be more difficult then expected. 

On the seadek stuff... about how much did you come up with on cost? I saw on the website I could order the template kit and send it in. I figured to just do all the floor and swim platform, it wouldn't be that bad (pretty sure my swim platform is fiberglass also). 

On the cover, I will look into what you suggested. I talked to Malibu and the factory covers are outrageous! I found one that would fit at the academy sports here in town, but it doesn’t look like it would last more then a couple season. The Georgia heat and sun eats up regular tarp like material.

I have to figure out what’s going on with my Speedo. It doesn’t work, but the depth finder does so I’m guessing it may have a bubble/trash  in it or something?  Can’t really play with it until the water warms up a little it, and having no trailer makes it hard to work on. It’s not sitting in the water, but I can’t get to the back with it being on the boat lift. 

If you know of anywhere to look for a used trailer that I don’t know about I’m taking tips there also. I’ve been checking the usual stuff like eBay and Craigslist. I’m hoping to maybe find one around town in someone’s back yard that maybe needs a little work. I called a couple places around here that will build a custom trailer and that’s just not in the cards. I have no idea which tower mine has on it but I will try and post a picture of it. I tried to ad it as my profile picture but it seems to be to big or something 

Become a paying member and you can add pictures with ease.  With the membership come discounts at a number of retailers.  Sounds like you will be spending some bucks as it is and the discounts should come in handy....

• Like 2

Used trailer will be hard to find.  Try this site, only inboards, and the places you are looking.

This boat shares the same Hull/engine layout as one of the 04 and earlier sunsetters( check specs on here for that, sv23 hull with direct drive engine layout), any trailer for those should work.

The tower would be either a t3, which has four mounting points and sweeps towards the back of the boat, or two mounting points and swoops towards the front( similar to almost all current towers). The t3 has a good record of being solid.

Wedge is a foil attached to the back of the boat , your platform will have a door to access it, you will see it right away if you open that little door.

I assume you have the factory depth finder,  FYI you can’t find parts for that if it goes, I tried to find the parts to hook mine up but was told the parts are no longer available.

For seadek I only looked at doing platform so I used their prices online 

Good luck with the speedo.   Could be a couple things but definitely want to see it underneath and make sure that checks out.

• 2 years later...

Couple of tips that I use on my boat. Change the fuel filter every year. It’s under the floor hatch right behind the engine. You can buy it on Amazon. Change the impeller every year, which is at the front of the engine. Easy to do as you just take out the four screws holding the cap plate on. You can buy impellers online on Amazon. Make sure to lubricate the new impeller before putting it in. Lubricant should come in a small tube with the new impeller.  (Actually, I remove my impeller at the end of the season and put a new one in at the beginning of the next season). Try to use non-ethanol fuel if you can. Hard to find 89 octane non-ethanol. If you can’t, then use Sta-bil or another fuel stabilizer -every tank and especially for winter storage. Otherwise, the ethanol will eat up your hoses and fuel lines. I also add Marvel Miracle oil to my fuel. 

if you’re looking for a trailer, I bought a new replacement one from green bean Marine [email protected]. Spoke to a guy name Will. The numbers I have for them are 601–942–7231  Or 601–856–1729. 

Edited by Imin41
Update