Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Phase 5 Hammerhead - recieved damaged

riot138

I was hoping to get some advice.  I ordered a 2018 phase 5 hammerhead yesterday and got it this morning.  I opened it up and there was a dime sized puncture not fully through in the board.  I emailed the shop I ordered from and they are going to start an insurance claim with the shipper. I believe it was damaged in transit since the box has the matching puncture in the same spot as on the board.  Once they hear back I will have a few options.  First one being to keep it and repair it myself and they will offer a discount or wait for the new 2019 boards to come in and I may have to pay a little more to get that since I got this one on sale and it was the last one.  How hard is this to repair and do repairs last.  I'm worried about globbing on glass and resin and it looking like crap and eventually water getting in.  What would you accept as a discount?  I paid $770 cdn w/ out tax and shipping so roughly $590usd.

board1.jpg

board2.jpg

The repaira on fiberglass boards aren’t bad at all. 

But if you don’t feel comfortable, take it by a local fiberglass shop and see if they will touch it up for you. 

Its always going to look like a repair, but the board will ride fine.

7 hours ago, riot138 said:

I was hoping to get some advice.  I ordered a 2018 phase 5 hammerhead yesterday and got it this morning.  I opened it up and there was a dime sized puncture not fully through in the board.  I emailed the shop I ordered from and they are going to start an insurance claim with the shipper. I believe it was damaged in transit since the box has the matching puncture in the same spot as on the board.  Once they hear back I will have a few options.  First one being to keep it and repair it myself and they will offer a discount or wait for the new 2019 boards to come in and I may have to pay a little more to get that since I got this one on sale and it was the last one.  How hard is this to repair and do repairs last.  I'm worried about globbing on glass and resin and it looking like crap and eventually water getting in.  What would you accept as a discount?  I paid $770 cdn w/ out tax and shipping so roughly $590usd.

board1.jpg

board2.jpg

I personally would not repair a brand new board. I would ask if they could get me a new one for the same price. That is unacceptable. 

If you somehow get a new board and get to keep that one I may buy it from you! I don't care about a little flaw. 

Seriously tho! If that happens let me know and I may buy it. Or tell the shop you know someone who would buy it at a very discounted price. 

Edited by CBray4
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

does the ding actually puncture the board?

If you look closely at the 2nd picture you can see the spider web of cracks.  It's definitely not waterproof now.

44 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Why on earth would you repair a new board?  This is on the shop/shipper.

First thing I asked was to replace it with a different one but they don't have any 2018s left.  So I was thinking I can ride a "fixed board" for say 1/2 price or fork out an $330 on top of the $770 to get this years model.  I am really leaning towards the 2019 but I just thought if the majority of people were saying it's not a big deal I would just take the discount and fix it.

2 hours ago, riot138 said:

First thing I asked was to replace it with a different one but they don't have any 2018s left.  So I was thinking I can ride a "fixed board" for say 1/2 price or fork out an $330 on top of the $770 to get this years model.  I am really leaning towards the 2019 but I just thought if the majority of people were saying it's not a big deal I would just take the discount and fix it.

To those that ask, why repair a new board?, this is why. He can easily get a discount or maybe even a full claim feom the shipping company and they most likely don’t come get it...

A little blemish on a board isn’t a big deal as long as the board performs. I would rather be able to shred and piece of plywood, than ride like a donkey’s rear end on a $700 board.... 

Have you ever tried to file a claim on shipping damage?  It is brutal.  BTDT.  You have to have pics, get carrier acknowledgement etc.  Unless I got the board for 60-70% off (still above dealer cost) I would send it back COD. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, saxton15 said:

Wait you paid $770 CND w/taxes shipped?  That's a great price.  I just saw this same board for over 1K CND.

I'd get the shop to replace it.  

It was $890 w/ taxes shipped.  There are no more 2018s left so it would have to be replaced w/ a 2019 and that I was told would be more expensive.

10 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Have you ever tried to file a claim on shipping damage?  It is brutal.  BTDT.  You have to have pics, get carrier acknowledgement etc.  Unless I got the board for 60-70% off (still above dealer cost) I would send it back COD. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

Thankfully the shop is taking care of the claim.  That is my dilemma if I can get 60-70% off should I keep it and fix it or should I opt for the newer board and pay a little more. 

10 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The person who shipped files claim.  In my experience with usps and ups it is a pretty quick and simple process if you follow directions.  Only time it gets complicated is if you used the ups store or someone elses ups account. 

Edited by oldjeep

If you can come out ahead cash wise get it fixed.  Surfing is already too expensive and any extra gas money is always a good thing. The damage is right by the ugly warning.  If you have a reputable shop around have them fix it and you can put a big sticker over the repair and warning.  

Take the discount and fix it. My soul craft was more than that board and it got dinged on the edge, I repaired and glassed it myself. Still rides great! I don’t care who you are, boards will get dinged up somehow, even small dings. 

Fix it and have fun  

• Like 3

I agree, if you get a good repair kit and do it right, it wont ever leak or be an issue and certainly wont effect how it rides. Use it to hem n haw a bit on phone and you should end up with a new board for half of what you paid for it. After the repair is done, put a nice sticker over it if you want and you will never know its there. Paying more for a 2019 that wont ride any better is a waste IMO.

I am not a hammerhead fan simply cause I like surf style much better and am not that great on such a slick feeling board, but both of my riding partners have one and they like the board a lot. You could ride the board for 2yrs and probably get all your money back later if you get a good discount, I would see this as an opportunity.

• 1 month later...

I priced out a 2019 - less than $50 more than you paid all in for your 18.  Yeah, they are silly MSRP prices, but I don't pay list for anything.  BTW, there are two versions for 19  - I am talking about the Danielo, not the Ghost.  Can't see there is any difference between them, BICBW.

hard to make that look anything but a repair but not hard to make a permanent water proof repair. you could repair that tonight and be ridding tomorrow. I would take whatever discount I could get and go ride. Other than looking like a small repair it will in no way effect the performance and when you get the next ding you wont fell near as bad.