Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Unwrapping the new Bu: Observations and questions

gregtay

40 minutes ago, wdr said:

Your tow vehicle makes the boat look like a 25. 😊

Haha.. yes it does! Looks bigger (just taller) than my 2008 from the side but in the rear view mirror it looked about the same. Still hardly know I am towing anything back there even though the new boat is likely 1k heavier than the last one.

44 minutes ago, wdr said:

Looks great. I see you did pull the guide poles to get her in. I was stressing the 8’ high garage door clearance for a minute. Thank goodness for drop hitches and air bags! That GX looks like it gives you all kinds of overhead room.

I am really impressed how the GX tower lays down flat, they really planned that out well.  We were going to be close fitting in the garage, we have an 8 foot high door but it has a brick façade on the outside, so it is 8' at in the middle and closer to 7' on the sides.  I had all the Malibu docs on tower heights for each boat and tower config and it stated the GX on a 23 w racks off was going to be 89" but in reality ours is closer to 87" and I can get another 2" or so if I move my swivel rack mounts to the upper mounts (they are a little "lower" when folded.) turns out I cleared the brick with no issues even with the mounts at the lower position (I will still move them up... I just prefer my boards at the update mount location up and out of the way nice and high on the tower.)  The Gx is a winner for anyone putting their boat in the garage.  Way overpriced.. but worth every penny.

Yep, pulled the guide poles which is way more of a PITA than it needs to be.  They were sitting right at 9" wide and that is the width of my door.  I could have MAYBE gotten it through but it was just too close to be something I wanted to try each time (I had zero margin for error.)  So I need to come up with a better way make the poles quick and easy to take off.

I had already let the air out of my airbags in that photo, not much rear end sag without them but they help level it a bit.  The SRT has really stiff suspension that doesn't move much.