Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Unwrapping the new Bu: Observations and questions

gregtay

55 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Haha no worries, just something that grabbed my eye. 2277 would be the prop I started with too. I think you posted that picture for the voltage.

Actually it looks like we did have the wedge in LIFT in that photo... that is what the little Orange marker next to "LIFT" means, right?  We were running through a checklist of settings to test.  (I am still getting use to how this new display shows everything, last boat had the square non-touch Malivue (with nice analog speedo/tach) which honestly was a little less cluttered.  I am sure I will get use to the new set up but there is a lot going on on that screen!) 

Edited by gregtay
3 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Actually it looks like we did have the wedge in LIFT in that photo... that is what the little Orange marker next to "LIFT" means, right?  We were running through a checklist of settings to test.  (I am still getting use to how this new display shows everything, last boat had the square non-touch Malivue (with nice analog speedo/tach) which honestly was a little less cluttered.  I am sure I will get use to the new set up but there is a lot going on on that screen!) 

(and that would lead to another question for everyone... when do you actually use the wedge in lift mode?  I am guessing when skiiing for hole shot? I get the concept of getting the back of the boat out of the water but doesn't it cause the bow to plow a bit (which I would think would make the boat less efficent in the water?)

16 hours ago, gregtay said:

Today I had the chance to go down and help unwrap our new 23LSV that showed up from the factory yeseterday. The team from Seattle Boat was super awesome and invited me down to their receiving location to spend some time with our (at least soon to be ours) new boat.  First off.. it looks AMAZING!  My wife did the colors this time around and it turned out so beautiful (and this was even before it was cleaned up and polished.)   The team at Seattle Boat got right to work got most of the rigging done while I was checking out the boat (that wasn't the plan, but they jumped on it and had it together in about an hour) and after a bit they said they were headed to the lake and drop it in the water for the first lake trial and invited me along (how could I say no!) which really added to the experiance of the day.  It was nice to finally experiance the M6 in action! (and yes.. it is quiet!)   They will finish preping the boat over the next week and we plan to take delivery a week from Friday. Photos below of the whole process today:)

A few basic details on the boat: '19 23LSV - White base with Azure Met/Graphite Met.  Interior: Graphite w/ light graphite accents and Ebony trim w/ Azure piping and full stitching.  M6di motor, Gx tower.  Skipped flip down entery seats and Wake View (didn't want a bunch of metal in the boat for the kids to bang themselves on.)  

A few observations from my short time with the boat:

1. The M6di really fills the engine compartment :-O.  We ran it on the hose and it was indeed quiet even out of the water with the exhaust blubbing. It was so quiet that their tech was trying to figure out what the "funny noise was" only to realize it was just the sound of belts and pullies because the motor itself was so quiet that it didn't make any noise.  It was also very quiet on the water. Super happy with the motor in my little bit of time with it.  Ran it through it's paces and it has tons of power for a 23LSV at sea level. Can't wait to load her down and surf. 
  2. Wireless charging option - We added this at the last minute thinking it was only the holder on the helm but I saw that it also included a wireless charging spot next to the driver in a little cubby... sweet! 
  3. Gx Tower looks great.. I was a little worried about this one since we hadn't seen one in person.  Racks pull off with less effort than the G3 setup (and I have to remove them to get the boat in the garage.)  To raise and lower the tower you can't just "hit the down switch".. you have to hit a "power/lock" button first, then UP or Down (again, good to know, takes away the risk of someone hitting the button accedentally )  Quality of this tower is amazing.
  4. The Gx bimini is designed for the surf boards on top to sit at an angle (my G3.2 bimini had them straight)... nice touch so that the rope is less likely to grab a board. 
  5. Seat swival for lowering tower: I have always seen the need for the helm seat to be swivaled to put the Gx down and someone mentioned that is required otherwise you hit the seat (and can tear it) - That doesn't seem to be the case on a 23LSV, the tower goes fully down without any interferance with the helm seat in it's normal locked position. Maybe if it was raised or slid further forward, but it was in a pretty normal position and the tower does not contact the seat (this was a really nice thing to find out, i didn't want to have to worry about the tower hitting the seat.)
  6. Much like many other new boats mine was littered with random leftover hardware from teh factory... even some in the rear cupholders which you would think they would just grab out when wrapping it for shipping. Just seems to be the norm but I am sure that is just part of cranking out so many boats per day. No worry, Seattle boat will have it all cleaned out for delivery
  7. Seattle Boat went ove the boat and pointed out a few blems and small (very small!) dings in the gelcoat that they want to get fixed (not sure I would have even noticed them!). Nothing major, but it was nice to know the people prep'ing my boat want it absolutly perfect :) I feel like I don't have to worry about a thing.. they will make sure everything is perfect at delivery.
  8. The rear camera is mounted very crooked (very obvious)... again, zero attempt at quality control or someone would have caught this. Just made us all laugh a little. They will get it fixed up.
  9. We did a two-tone trailer (black/azure met) and it turned out GREAT!.. color matches perfectly. The stock wheels are nice but don't look as good as some of the bigger wheels but we need every inch we can get for garage clearance. I also added the undermount spare holder (I like the idea of having the spare out of the way and closer to the trailer axle vs. adding extra tounge weight.
  10. The new flip down swim step is sweet. Really glad we went with this option.
  11. There were lots of reports of the M6di reading high voltage.... well mine was reading right at 14.2 volts the entire time we were on the water.  So maybe Malibu changed something recently.
  12. The heated seat was really nice out on a cold Seattle day:)  (wife said this was a must after demoing a Supra with one.)

Question:  I need to add my own tower speakers, plan is either 4xIcon 8's or 2xRev 10's.  I noticed the mounting holes on the Gx are a little different from the normal speaker mounting holes... 4 holes instead of 2.  Anyone know what type of adapter I need to mount up some speakers? (see photo below.)

Lower res photos for now... I will save posting nice high res shots in the delivery thread when we actually get to delivery day :-).  Just wanted to post all of this up in case some of the detail helps anyone who is trying to work up an order and can't find any good info on colors/options, etc (plus I am just really excited that that boat is finally here!)

Big thanks to the TMC community in helping answer all our questions as we ordered up our new boat!  Could not have gotten everything so perfect without everyones help. We miss our 2008 23LSV... but the new boat is such an awsome step forward!

An lastly... huge THANK YOU to the team at Seattle Boat... they have gone above and beyond to help me with this order and they were so kind to let me join them today for the unwrapping.  Can't wait to take delivery next week!

IMG_2601.jpg.957f63700bd99ebebe0370adeef5dafe.jpg

All wrapped up!

IMG_2607.jpg.2a77826c30327093a3b746775ccbc5ba.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg.e7ab4ebec0682c460bc424f3d7e7b6b8.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg.e97591d07a124c57e233e2f4e94d8925.jpg

6.thumb.JPG.02f01a5a356a6bab6d1252a2ee692c38.JPG

IMG_2624.jpg.ff2c1f03d4bffc4ab940a1adfa0a75f1.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg.b54a88419f01ea58bc1a7171444db6d0.jpg

First power on :)

IMG_2646.jpg.4e0cbcbe2ffbb3dc9d73b77d7817499a.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg.f91501c6e8b8e0336f5d107b50b3d5be.jpg

5.thumb.JPG.95ed9bd25ae4d53133588899bfeb8582.JPG

IMG_2665.jpg.33099fe534de752070f2b1fbf632cd9b.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg.2126b90eaf659eaf9bd17eae9720303b.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg.0656ff619922db0084df22bbdb03854f.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg.87f80b7296c42c82f428d04e64d5cfd8.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg.dc9ca87bfffaf2f58c3e3ec6063aa634.jpg

Speaker mount holes in the Gx. Not sure if I need an adapter?

IMG_2671.jpg.c0e2e467ec805a4ec8b4029531e85d92.jpg

Angled surf storage on the Bimini

IMG_2644.jpg.e8e8caa5d470bd03e4d10b104b2a8d80.jpg

Second wireless charging pad

2.thumb.JPG.a38be6c158ebbee292fdfa9c9f88f36f.JPG

Azure Met 2 tone with Graphite Met bezels

3.thumb.JPG.218d682d8921510cd4df1a04bd11bb44.JPG

IMG_2634.jpg.9754b77b36af572f46b1eff7e3d088ab.jpg

Azure stitching

IMG_2669.jpg

Ok finalizing a order as we speak. Just saw a MXZ come in with the GX tower. I think I have to have it. Ordering a 23 lSV with the M6. After trying yours out are you glad you went with the M6 and the GX? Coming from a 2014 LSV with the 450. Still want to hit 40+ mph so if I want to foot from time to time.

Thanks

Kaddman

10 minutes ago, kaddman said:

Ok finalizing a order as we speak. Just saw a MXZ come in with the GX tower. I think I have to have it. Ordering a 23 lSV with the M6. After trying yours out are you glad you went with the M6 and the GX? Coming from a 2014 LSV with the 450. Still want to hit 40+ mph so if I want to foot from time to time.

Thanks

Kaddman

Yes... coudn't be happier (but very limited time with the M6, but the 15 mins I drove around doing manuvers put a smile on my face.)  I was coming from 23LSV with the G3.2 tower and the 5.7 Monsoon 350 motor. The M6 had a ton of power and as I mentioned earlier in a quick test we topped out at about 43 (can't comment on if the wedge was stowed or in lift when we did the test and it may have climed higher if we gave it a few more seconds... it was just a quick test and I only had the boat a full throttle for 15 seconds or so.)  The tower really is nice, super solid, has little cabin lights up top which are nice.  I origianlly felt the G3 looked a little better but now that I have seen the Gx on the boat I really like the look.  I went with a color matching hoop (black in my case) which I highly recommend.

52 minutes ago, gregtay said:

(and that would lead to another question for everyone... when do you actually use the wedge in lift mode?  I am guessing when skiiing for hole shot? I get the concept of getting the back of the boat out of the water but doesn't it cause the bow to plow a bit (which I would think would make the boat less efficent in the water?)

I use the lift setting every time I throttle up when surfing, just to keep the RPMs and noise down while getting to speed more quickly.

I may learn something just by saying this but I was told the lift mode only works for wakeboard speeds and doesn’t engage if speeds are set in the 10-11 range. Anyone can correct me if this isn’t true.

ahopkins22LSV

I only use lift for surfing if we are super heavy, and the one time I wanted to see if we would get on plane for wakeboarding... we did, but we don't wake board :lol:

I am surprised you didn't get an alarm for being in lift at 25mph+, I think that is when the alarm sounds. If you use lift for launching while skiing you will have to ignore the alarm and leave it in lift, because above a certain speed (I forget what) you can't stow the wedge.

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I use the lift setting every time I throttle up when surfing, just to keep the RPMs and noise down while getting to speed more quickly.

I may learn something just by saying this but I was told the lift mode only works for wakeboard speeds and doesn’t engage if speeds are set in the 10-11 range. Anyone can correct me if this isn’t true.

I swear I can notice a difference for surfing too, but I have never timed it. Maybe I will this year. It probably depends on boat, engine, transmission and prop setups. May not make much of a difference to some, but will for others.

1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I swear I can notice a difference for surfing too, but I have never timed it. Maybe I will this year. It probably depends on boat, engine, transmission and prop setups. May not make much of a difference to some, but will for others.

I think it’s a big difference. Enough that if I forget to back off the throttle, I usually get told to drive better the next time.

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, powbmps said:

That trailer is sweet looking as well.

Trailer turned out really nice considering we made the color change at the last minute when they finally informed me we could do Azure Met on the trailer. I saw Malibu did some Azure Met on the 25LSV trailer they are using for their tour this summer. Ironically we didn’t have the option for just the fenders in that color, the two tone option was the only one that offered it. I think they were in the process of updating the ordering tool when we were ordering.

I find the lift feature to be particularly useful when pulling little kids. When they are skiing (trainers or double skis) or wake boarding, lift helps get on plane at the slower speeds (15-18) and can actually help clean up the wake. For surfing, lift can help mellow the wave and make it seem a bit less scary for the kids, while still providing a great wave.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I only use lift for surfing if we are super heavy, and the one time I wanted to see if we would get on plane for wakeboarding... we did, but we don't wake board :lol:

I am surprised you didn't get an alarm for being in lift at 25mph+, I think that is when the alarm sounds. If you use lift for launching while skiing you will have to ignore the alarm and leave it in lift, because above a certain speed (I forget what) you can't stow the wedge.

I believe it's 26 mph is when it starts yelling at you. My family used to ski with our 22VLX wedge in lift mode all the time and it was great. Now our neighbor has a TXi so no need :)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, NWBU said:

Can lift mode be set to automatically set in lift after throttling down, or do we always have to put it there?

13 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Can lift mode be set to automatically set in lift after throttling down, or do we always have to put it there?

If the wedge is down (any position) and you hammer the throttle, it should automatically go in lift mode. The wedge has to be down already though in order for it to engage into lift mode.

48 minutes ago, Suggy said:

If the wedge is down (any position) and you hammer the throttle, it should automatically go in lift mode. The wedge has to be down already though in order for it to engage into lift mode.

Basically AutoWedge but with a little Lisa rice lift, right?

3 hours ago, Suggy said:

This hasn't been my experience but then again you don't usually hammer the throttle for surfing, which is mostly what we use it for.

46 minutes ago, NWBU said:

This hasn't been my experience but then again you don't usually hammer the throttle for surfing, which is mostly what we use it for.

correct, it doesn't go into lift mode for surfing as you don't plane out for surfing. For wakeboarding speeds it automatically goes into lift mode and once up to speed deploys to the correct position.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Suggy said:

correct, it doesn't go into lift mode for surfing as you don't plane out for surfing. For wakeboarding speeds it automatically goes into lift mode and once up to speed deploys to the correct position.

Thanks for confirming.

3 hours ago, Suggy said:

Now wondering if it is enabled by a speed cruise setting or by throttle response? Was wondering why I never see it move on surf setting unless done manually.

4 hours ago, Suggy said:

I am sorry to derail the thread too far...but I am pretty sure this is true.  It is also true with Nautique and their trim tab (NCRS).  Although I think there would be a little bit of benefit, it seems the manufacturers believe that the delay in the wave forming would make customers less happy, since getting to surf speed is usually so quick anyway. And that would be a lot of back and forth on the wedge, wearing out actuators a lot more quickly.  

On 4/19/2019 at 5:36 PM, dalt1 said:

Now wondering if it is enabled by a speed cruise setting or by throttle response? Was wondering why I never see it move on surf setting unless done manually.

You have me thinking now... I believe it is enabled by cruise as well as throttle. I know for a fact the wedge has to be deployed in any position, and it will go to lift then back.

Looks great. I see you did pull the guide poles to get her in. I was stressing the 8’ high garage door clearance for a minute. Thank goodness for drop hitches and air bags! That GX looks like it gives you all kinds of overhead room.