Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zero Off - Upgrading to single puck system

Chaabo

Hey forum,

My ski buddy recently bought a new Nautique (the overpriced, ugly, squared one) and the pull behind his boat with the single puck ZO feels so much better than the one my Bu delivers. Behind his boat I have a constant tight line throughout the course, the system picks me up out of the turn so much smoother and accelerates me into the wake nice and progressively with a ton of pendulum swing into the next ball. It just feels like from another world.

I’m not super impressed with the wakes though, but I’m far from being a real shortline skier, so the whole micro tuner gizmo thing doesn’t do much when I ski.

I still prefer the wakes behind our old little Response. And of course it’s sleek looks. :)

My 2010 Response is equipped with the old dual puck Zero Off and no matter what setting I use on my boat, the pull never feels that good and natural.

Soo - I was thinking about upgrading the dual puck system to the new single puck version.

Anyone here that did that conversion?

What does it involve besides a new ECI gps puck?

Can my “old” ZO headunit be updated to work with the new single puck?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

@Chaabo:  I would head over to the BOS (ball of spray) website and read through the couple of threads on that topic.  From my understanding it will be a 2 step process, the single puck upgrade and a software update, which sounds like the item that makes the pull feel so much better and softer.  The puck change has an effect although not as dramatic as the software update.  There is also a comment on ski all 6.

Interesting feedback on the wake comparison to the RLX and thanks.  How short were you running?  I would guess that as the line gets shorter at least up to 39, the RLX certainly would hold it's own as IMO 35-38 is quite the sweet spot for the SV23 hull.  Outside of this forum it certainly seems that the RLX, RLXi does not get quite the slalom wake love that it should.  I guess this group does not consume as much Kool-Aide, LOL. 

Okay, good info here!

My understanding was about the same, I had just hoped for someone who already went through that process and could confirm it first hand.

Theoretically the process should be as follows...

- Remove old pucks

- Install new ECI single puck with new wiring harness

- Get old HU updated to work with the ECI single puck

- Get the latest software version installed

The new puck is $450, HU software update is free, but I would have the dealer to install it, latest ZO software is another $50 and again, I would have the dealer to do it. (Have no PC/laptop and no ECOM cable).

I might stop by my local Tommy’s and check if they are able and willing to do that and what they would charge for doing the updates.

Re - my skiing...

It was only the 3rd set of my season and I still have to get back in shape, so I just shortened to -22. The 15off wake (34mph) was perfectly fine, the -22 hump was terrible and even my buddy who owns that boat skips -22 completely. He starts 15off and shortens right to -28 after that. :lol:

Edited by Chaabo

Quick update...

I contacted my local Malibu dealer (Tommy’s Florida) about my upgrade.

They just got back to me after inquiring with Malibu. Unfortunately the update is not possible. :( The issue is obviously, that the new Zero Off does not communicate with my motor’s ECM.

Sounds a bit weird to me because I read all over the waterski forums that even 2009 Nautiques had been upgraded to the single puck + latest ZO version without a problem.

Maybe it’s because I have just the std LCR engine, or whatever.

I’m too lazy to get into it any further and will just keep on skiing with what I have.

Edited by Chaabo
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, there seems to be a silver lining at the horizon.

It’s always good to have the coolest neighbors. Tim Hazelwood (owner of Hazelwood Ski World in the UK) inquired with his brother George, who said, it’s absolutely doable without even changing the ECM.

As suspected, it is a matter of getting rid of the 2 old pucks, installing the ECI single puck, flashing the HU and uploading the latest software.

I’ll keep you posted...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 4:21 PM, Chaabo said:

Ok, there seems to be a silver lining at the horizon.

It’s always good to have the coolest neighbors. Tim Hazelwood (owner of Hazelwood Ski World in the UK) inquired with his brother George, who said, it’s absolutely doable without even changing the ECM.

As suspected, it is a matter of getting rid of the 2 old pucks, installing the ECI single puck, flashing the HU and uploading the latest software.

I’ll keep you posted...

This is correct, and glad to hear you are up and running.  For some older boats you might need a new ECM or reflash, but if the ECM was zero off capable already, its a zero off software update that's needed.  

11 hours ago, Chaabo said:

Alright then...

I’m running now the latest ZeroOff Software (Rev.S) with the ECI single puck. :biggrin:

...and does the pull seem the same as on the bumpnautique?

3 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

...and does the pull seem the same as on the bumpnautique?

Yup, love it! Way better than my old Rev.Q pull.

16 hours ago, Chaabo said:

Alright then...

I’m running now the latest ZeroOff Software (Rev.S) with the ECI single puck. :biggrin:

The plus setting on Rev S is the bees knees for heavier skiers.  Before Rev S, the boat used to run on me and I had a real hard time getting free of the boat.