Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GPS on 2019 Malibu

Gsxrnick

I wanted to share some information that I had a very hard time finding. I recently purchased a 2019 Malibu wakesetter 22 MXZ and I wanted to be able to use the GPS. You still have to purchase a GPS antenna. Amazon is a great place for this and the Navionics sd card for your region. On the 2019 Malibu's, where you plug in the SD card and antenna is in a new location. It is not on the back of 7" display down on the side. I found this out the hard way. The new location is behind the dash on the drivers side. To access it you will need to pull up the cushion in the very front of the boat where there is a storage box. Remove the 4 screws. You can access the subwoofer from here as well. Above where the subwoofer is you will see a black control panel. You screw your antenna in to that and also you can pull the square rubber piece off to find the access to the sd card slot. Pretty simple to do but not a lot of info on it yet being that it is so new. Hope this helps anyone who is wanting to view the lake maps on their boat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the same as it has been for several years, they have just moved the panel away from the screen with the hull change. I assume it's because of an interference thing but could be to just relocate it under the "Sealed" helm and off the back of the screen which is still on the dash. Same panel, different location.

4 hours ago, Gsxrnick said:

I wanted to share some information that I had a very hard time finding. I recently purchased a 2019 Malibu wakesetter 22 MXZ and I wanted to be able to use the GPS. You still have to purchase a GPS antenna. Amazon is a great place for this and the Navionics sd card for your region. On the 2019 Malibu's, where you plug in the SD card and antenna is in a new location. It is not on the back of 7" display down on the side. I found this out the hard way. The new location is behind the dash on the drivers side. To access it you will need to pull up the cushion in the very front of the boat where there is a storage box. Remove the 4 screws. You can access the subwoofer from here as well. Above where the subwoofer is you will see a black control panel. You screw your antenna in to that and also you can pull the square rubber piece off to find the access to the sd card slot. Pretty simple to do but not a lot of info on it yet being that it is so new. Hope this helps anyone who is wanting to view the lake maps on their boat.

where did you locate the gps antena 

19 hours ago, Gsxrnick said:

I'm sorry I can't seem to load any pictures on here cause the file sizes are all to large to load up. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

image.thumb.png.d4bea5e3bc8b6e51afac2ef2699bb2fc.pngimage.thumb.png.de344b191b33b87053fe4bcd3440d3db.png

Thanks for the help bud. Those were basically the same pics I was gonna post. Trying to get pics on here was kicking my butt

Very interesting, it looks like the displays are both LVDS now. This makes a lot of sense as each of the components can be replaced independently. I'm surprised that there haven't been more reports of a broken dash display; I know I dropped the observer mirror arm bolt on the display once before I was more careful and put a towel over it before removing the bolt. with this new setup not having an integrated display it may mean that it could be easier for me to find a computer second-hand or on one of the parts sites that I can try to hack to get custom preset pictures loaded.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:10 PM, Gsxrnick said:

Thanks... helpful thread, already ordered up a GPS and the maps card:)

2 hours ago, gregtay said:

Thanks... helpful thread, already ordered up a GPS and the maps card:)

Glad it could be of some help to you.

• 2 months later...

Any recommendations for where can I purchase the map or SD card for my '15 24 MXz?  Boat is equipped for GPS, but just does not have any maps installed?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the thread.  Just added GPS to my 2019 Malibu 21' VLX.  You can basically order just about any GPS antenna off amazon. Mine was $12.  Just a note that it needs to be installed where it has direct access to the sky (obviously) so I installed it next to where my blower vent comes out in front on the starboard side and above the compartment seen in the pictures already posted on this thread.   I ordered the Navionics Platinum Maps for my region for about $165, updated the card and put it in.  Mine picked up the signal immediately but I guess others have had to wait a bit for the signal to acquire.  Now I have navigation.  The shop quoted $751 to do it for me.   

7 hours ago, rickshamo said:

Thanks for the thread.  Just added GPS to my 2019 Malibu 21' VLX.  You can basically order just about any GPS antenna off amazon. Mine was $12.  Just a note that it needs to be installed where it has direct access to the sky (obviously) so I installed it next to where my blower vent comes out in front on the starboard side and above the compartment seen in the pictures already posted on this thread.   I ordered the Navionics Platinum Maps for my region for about $165, updated the card and put it in.  Mine picked up the signal immediately but I guess others have had to wait a bit for the signal to acquire.  Now I have navigation.  The shop quoted $751 to do it for me.   

Got a friend with a 2019 VLX wanting this too. Where is the port to plug in the card, under the steering wheel or you got to get under the windshield area?

• 9 months later...

This has all been extremely helpful.  I just rec'd the Amazon antenna and the Navionics+ card is on the way.  My boat is in dry storage about an hour away so I haven't had a chance to get in there and compare to what you guys have shown in the pictures.  Without actually being in the boat just yet - do any of you guys have pictures on insights on how you access this area where the antenna connects and the SD card installs.  I've seen a couple of mentions of going through the back of the seat in the bow area...?  

• 1 month later...

I was looking to reproduce the success on this thread with a 2021 24mxz. Does anyone have any insight to where the SD card goes. I don’t see it on the medallion box which appears to be under my dash, not in the compartment behind the cushion and over the sub. The 2021 owners manual still says with a Navionics card there should be GPS functionality.

On 5/22/2021 at 12:31 PM, encarnate said:

I was looking to reproduce the success on this thread with a 2021 24mxz. Does anyone have any insight to where the SD card goes. I don’t see it on the medallion box which appears to be under my dash, not in the compartment behind the cushion and over the sub. The 2021 owners manual still says with a Navionics card there should be GPS functionality.