Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water dripping prop shaft

Hey crew!

had my first ride today with our 2004 xti. mounted diy-gen2-style surftabs this winter so i was a little bit nervous but all good. i had a little bit of a problem though. in between the propeller coupling and shaft seal (dont know how its called, please see picture) there was some water dripping in, like one drop per second.

dcfdc1-1555440627.jpg

i didnt have this issue last season. could it be the cold water temperatures? the water is like 5 degrees celcius, still a lot of snow on the mountains around the lake. is there a easy fix or is it better to have someone professional to fix this for me?

cheers

Edited by Screwdriver

Pretty much considered normal for that type of shaft seal to leak some water. I have read in a couple places varying amounts of drops per minute as a norm and I have experienced different rates with the old wax style versus the newer Gortex style seals.

Honestly why spend money on something that ain't broke?  The packing is designed to drip a little bit, you can check the torque on the nut if you are concerned, but what you are describing is just fine.  I have packing rope in my spare parts bin, but honestly I checked mine last year and it's still fine and the boats over 20yrs old now.

Since its your first ride of the year, the wax is probably all dried up.  It will absorb some water, soften up and expand and seal a little better as it gets more use.  Totally normal.  You should end up at a drip rate of one drip every 10 seconds or so.