Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Generation Vinyl Fading

bbattiste247

Anyone notice the new colored vinyl turning white under its cover? After putting on my cover overnight, I see these white spots where the cover was resting. They eventually fade away, but similar to the era or dark covers turning light vinyl dark. This wasn't in the sun, but left overnight and it appears that some condensation had formed, leaving the spots..

20190416_080007.jpg

20190416_075959.jpg

Mine stays inside so I haven't seen "cover issues" yet. But the wife has already been jerking my chain about the new upholstery showing water spots more than the '10 did. I tried reassuring her that with a little seat conditioner the problem will be solved, I hope. :Doh: Haven't had the time to test that theory yet.

if that is the case of the vinyl soaking up the moisture I wonder if a light dusting of scotchguard over the vinyl would help that

Did we ever decide if 303 protectant was recommended for the new vinyl?  The 303 cleaner was recommended, but not the protectant.  It is very inert sort of stuff, so I have a hard time thinking it would hurt, but wondered if the collective intelligence of the crew has come up with an answer.  I wonder if 303 would help prevent the above from happening.  

I think those are good old fashioned water spots.  I suspect they will wipe off with more water and a towel.  

20190216_085155.thumb.jpg.c24757acbbc1989ba8b816f74677fce5.jpg

ahopkins22LSV
30 minutes ago, COOP said:

We have seen it here. It always goes away. It appears to be water or moisture that soaks into the vinyl.

That’s what I’ve noticed too. Even just out on the water from getting in and out of the boat. Since it goes away almost immediately I honestly stopped thinking about it. I don’t think it’s putting the vinyl at risk and I thought it was just because we had the black and graphite colors. 

54 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Did we ever decide if 303 protectant was recommended for the new vinyl?  The 303 cleaner was recommended, but not the protectant.  It is very inert sort of stuff, so I have a hard time thinking it would hurt, but wondered if the collective intelligence of the crew has come up with an answer.  I wonder if 303 would help prevent the above from happening.  

I think those are good old fashioned water spots.  I suspect they will wipe off with more water and a towel.  

20190216_085155.thumb.jpg.c24757acbbc1989ba8b816f74677fce5.jpg

They go through the effort of listing the products they want you to use but then don't even get specific on the names? "Babe's Boat Care Wash"? What is that?  Why not just say "Babes Seat Soap" and/or "Babes Seat Saver".. of did they mean neither of those an instead only use Babe's Boat Bubbles on your seats?    And "All Purpose Vinyl Cleaner" is on the lable of a ton of products, no clue what they actually want you to use.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, wdr said:

Mine stays inside so I haven't seen "cover issues" yet. But the wife has already been jerking my chain about the new upholstery showing water spots more than the '10 did. I tried reassuring her that with a little seat conditioner the problem will be solved, I hope. :Doh: Haven't had the time to test that theory yet.

This one stays inside too, but we were on an overnight trip, so I covered it to keep the cats and coyotes out.

Why does Malibu vinyl seem “cheaper” than the other major brands.  Mastercraft, Supra, and Centurion etc etc, seem so much better.  Not by a little bit, by a long shot.  It’s frustrating!  Is it just me?  

Edited by kayt425
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, kayt425 said:

Why does Malibu vinyl seem “cheaper” than the other major brands.  Mastercraft, Supra, and Centurion etc etc, seem so much better.  Not by a little bit, by a long shot.  It’s frustrating!  Is it just me?  

I personally feel this vinyl is a huge upgrade. It’s way more comfortable and is easier to clean then the textured stuff. I don’t know how this makes it cheap. Drop water on your pant leg, that spot gets darker until it dries right? Drop water on your dirty truck, it looks cleaner until it dries to show that your truck is still dirty. The vinyl is not fading, it is just changing when there is water on it. Does it stay for a minute after the water on the surface dries? Yeah, but it goes away very quickly every time. We have 60 hours on our 2019 with this vinyl and if it was actually fading, you can trust me I wouldn’t be making this post - it would be quite the opposite.

• Like 2

Nearly every manufacturer uses spradling brand vinyl. Of course different textures and patterns, but it’s all the same high quality brand wholesaler.

These are the publicly available products and colors. https://spradlingvinyl.com/sim/catalog-patterns/

There are many that are used by Malibu and others that are proprietary to those manufacturers and not available for purchase otherwise. I was told this directly by Viper Customs, because I wanted to mimic MXZ vinyl on my A22 that I had re-done. I ended up using Carbon Fiber (which Axis used as a bolster material for a while) as well as Grey and Red Simtex (Which Malibu uses a lot). You'll probably also recognize Trexx.

Edited by boardjnky4

Geez you guys are ruthless!  IXFE is too predictable.  (Funny and witty yes i admit!) But too predictable with the response LOL.  

Listen, I know its an upgrade from the old vinyl.  I’m still  deciding on my 2019 boat.  (Weather here had been terrible for the entire spring limiting demo opportunities) I’m on a demo tomorrow finally!!  25LSV with Tanner from my local dealer.  Awesome people!   I love the new 25 LSV.  Great boat!  So I’m not here hating on Malibu.  Ive owned a Malibu VLX and a 23 LSV.  Both purchased brand new and sold at the end of season.

BUT if you take off the Malibu goggles for second and  sit in a new Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautique, Supra, or Centurion and then HONESTLY ranked the vinyl 1-5 best to worst based on look, feel, and initial quality?  Even though the new Malibu vinyl is good, i personally think they could do better.  I’d rank Malibu last (again, just considering vinyl and thats it)  Especially the threading - it still seems to pull apart easily.  And it makes me mad, because they could do better.  

Now continue to flame on 🐤🐤

Edited by kayt425