Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 23lsv balast setup for surfing

Timholsten

I have a 07 wakesetter 23lsv.  I have a 910lb piggyback bags in each rear locker .  the rest of the tanks are factory.  It has aftermarket surfgate.  I am having,trouble dialing in for surfing.  It surfs decent but the wave is short and the top washes out alot.  Any suggestions to get a better wave.

Speed is probably the main thing if wave is washing out, but certainly bow weight is a big key to making the wave longer. Suggest bow bag....and perhaps 500lbs of lead to spread out as needed.

I regularly go out with 2 friends. 1 has a 2006 247 (5k of total ballast, GSA surf tabs & the 8.1 engine) and a 2010 VLX (roughly 4k of total ballast, Misson suck gate & the 383 Hammerhead engine) both have triangle bow bags and fill them for best wave that is nice and long. Both boats put out a phenomenal wave with that setup, 3 of us on the boats.

Seems like new models are similar and need extra bow weight even with stock ballast, just probably not as much. I have gone out with another friend twice this year on a 2019 21LSV. It has all the "pro" ballast including bow tank under seats....but no extra weight over bow seats. With everything full, the max we can put the wedge on is 3rd position or the wave is too short. On 3rd position for wedge, the wave is still long enough to fall back and then drive forward for tricks, wave form is great with nice lip for airs and good height. We tried full wedge to see what it would do, but without that extra bow weight , the boat struggles to get to speed (800ft elevation), wave was washy cause so tall/short and rpm's were screaming.

Next time we go out, I am gonna take my 500bs of lead to see what the potential of that boat is. I suppose we could have dropped some rear ballast and run more wedge to see what it would do, but how we have it set up so far put out a very good wave as it is with 2-3 people in the boat. (I have not surfed behind many new model Malibu's yet, but its the best Surf Gate wave I have ridden behind to-date, good push all the way thru the wave and I can recover a good 20+ft back). All ballast full, wedge on 3rd position and surfing @ 11mph the rpm's run around 3700 with 2 of us in boat....with wedge on 1st position down and all other things the same, rpm's are 3400.

I have the same set up in my 2007 23 LSV but with the bow sack as everyone has suggested. Adding a 750 lb bow sack really did great for lengthening the wave.  I may not fill it up full if we have lots of people in the boat. Minor tweaks in speed and wedge position can help get the wave really dialed in.

We run our 2007 with full factory ballast (front, middle, rear), wedge on 2 or 3 from the bottom and custom Wakemakers 975's in each rear locker with a Nauticurl wake shaper.  If we don't have enough "heavy hitters" to sit up front we fill a 675 Sumo bag roughly 2/3 full to lengthen the wave.  We are always moving either people or 150 pound bricks around to perfect the wave as it seems to change a little each time we go out depending on how many people are in the boat.  We have found going 11.6 to 12 mph makes the wave a little more firm which we really like.  It is a bit of work to get everything dialed but doesn't take too long.  While I love our boat eventually we will get a new one where we have surf gate and can push a button on the screen.   

On 4/15/2019 at 10:30 PM, Timholsten said:

I have a 07 wakesetter 23lsv.  I have a 910lb piggyback bags in each rear locker .  the rest of the tanks are factory.  It has aftermarket surfgate.  I am having,trouble dialing in for surfing.  It surfs decent but the wave is short and the top washes out alot.  Any suggestions to get a better wave.

As others have mentioned... bow weight.

Next question.. what speed is this happening at... are you achieving your your target speed?

3 hours ago, JWBeav said:

While I love our boat eventually we will get a new one where we have surf gate and can push a button on the screen.   

If you really love your boat you could add a surf system for that push button affect. But be warned I did this and am now stuck with this boat for the foreseeable future because my one main reason for an upgrade is now gone....... :biggrin:

• Like 3

Yes, GSA is on the wish list.  Kojak has it on his boat and said dialing in the wave is much easier.  A guy at Wakemakers here in Bend told me that he uses both the GSA and the Delta shaper on his '05 and the combo creates a really nice wave.  JCON or Kojak, have either of you tired this option?

4 hours ago, JWBeav said:

Yes, GSA is on the wish list.  Kojak has it on his boat and said dialing in the wave is much easier.  A guy at Wakemakers here in Bend told me that he uses both the GSA and the Delta shaper on his '05 and the combo creates a really nice wave.  JCON or Kojak, have either of you tired this option?

I haven't.  With GSA, I really don't see the need to run a shaper along with it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kojak said:

I haven't.  With GSA, I really don't see the need to run a shaper along with it.

I agree.. I can't imagine running both enless the GSA install wasn't done right.  You can easily create a situation were the wave convergance is delayed too much and the surf side wave never really forms as it never meets up with the opposing wave (meaning it just win the war without a battle... and that is an unsurfable wave.)  The point is there is a limit to how much you want to delay convergance and GSA+a shaper on the side would likely get you there but it is really going to depend on the boat. The point is.. you should (and don't) need anything other than GSA and some weight in the boat.

• Like 1