Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo cutting out in rough water

SpaceSurfer

Like the title says. I lose all sound (tried Bluetooth and radio) when going through some choppy water in my ‘15 23 LSV. Stock’ish stereo. I had the amps retuned and a custom sub box. 

I tried disconnecting everything coming/going to the amps but later realized if that was the problem, I’d get some sound loss but not all so the problem has to be somewhere ‘higher up.’ 

Edited by SpaceSurfer

Check power and ground to the head unit.

Make sure all of the terminals on back of the battery switch are tight.

when looking at the connections, check to see if any of the crimped on ring connectors have play in them.

• Like 1

when you say you lose all sound, is the head unit still appear to be on?  How many amps do you have?  Give us your audio setup so we can assist or help troubleshoot.  If you have multiple amps and "ALL" sound completely cuts out, then indeed it is higher up.  If the head unit is still on when it cuts out, then you might be able to rule out a bad ground and you may want to look over your RCA/Patch cable input our output if you have an inline Zone driver (EQ). is your BT receiver built into your head unit?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SpaceSurfer said:

I lose all sound (tried Bluetooth and radio) when going through some choppy water

Interesting. I have the same issue on a 2016 22 VLX with OEM system (1 pair tower speakers with amp, but no sub installed). I haven’t given it much attention as we don’t spend lots of time in chop but the few occasions that we do when we hit a good bump everything goes momentarily silent then comes right back. Just had the boat at the dealer for some warranty work...wish I would have remembered this was an issue!

I just re read the original post. I thought it was powering off when reading previously. 

In this case, the amp signal wire would be the first thing I check. Its most likely splitting off the head unit into all your amps. If the connection at the head unit signal wite was loose, this could happen.

• Like 1

Thx, yea I'm planning to check all the wiring for on the head unit next. My contortionist skills will be put to the test...Good point for the amp signal wire. Since the sound comes/goes, it's less likely any power cables to the head unit itself...

3 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

when you say you lose all sound, is the head unit still appear to be on?  How many amps do you have?  Give us your audio setup so we can assist or help troubleshoot.  If you have multiple amps and "ALL" sound completely cuts out, then indeed it is higher up.  If the head unit is still on when it cuts out, then you might be able to rule out a bad ground and you may want to look over your RCA/Patch cable input our output if you have an inline Zone driver (EQ). is your BT receiver built into your head unit?

head unit has to be still on because if i'm listening to bluetooth, no way would it be able to connect/reconnect so quickly. The system is the standard 3 fosgate amps with fosgate in boats and the malibu icons on the tower with a fosgate subwoofer. No EQ. Headunit, I think, is the Fosgate RFX3000 but I'm not sure about that.

Edited by SpaceSurfer

to figure out if it's the head unit and not wire related you could always unplug the red/white RCA main outputs that source your amps and use an adaptor RCA to mini jack and plug into your phone/ipad/ipod and go run some waves over :)

3-5mm-stereo-mini-plug-to-dual-rca-jack-6-in-1.jpg.bc80203140d944cb14913e89cc997913.jpg

• Haha 1

I would check the large-ish white connector at the black box. A friend of mine had some issues with that thing. The contacts inside of the connector were super-loose and not making good connection. It was causing abrupt power issues in the audio system.

• Thanks 1
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, SpaceSurfer said:

Like the title says. I lose all sound (tried Bluetooth and radio) when going through some choppy water in my ‘15 23 LSV. Stock’ish stereo. I had the amps retuned and a custom sub box. 

I tried disconnecting everything coming/going to the amps but later realized if that was the problem, I’d get some sound loss but not all so the problem has to be somewhere ‘higher up.’ 

So you know it is a vibration-induced problem, and chop can be violent. The next step is to try an isolate/eliminate the cause, in sequence, one audio component and one interconnect at a time. Btw, with the delayed interruption caused by the slow amplifier turn-on, the intermittent cause could be much shorter in duration than the pause you hear, and that delay could tend to mask diagnosis. A good place to begin is with the amplifier trigger lead. Perhaps a 12V LED tied into the turn-on/off trigger, placed in a shaded location, would be easy to see (fast-acting and flickering) while going thru chop. You could use this same LED to selectively test every positive supply and ground termination. You can also induce manual vibration while in the garage by moving or tapping on every component/connector you can trace and access. It might be resolved by a strategically placed wire/harness strain relief.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2019 at 3:52 PM, boardjnky4 said:

I would check the large-ish white connector at the black box. A friend of mine had some issues with that thing. The contacts inside of the connector were super-loose and not making good connection. It was causing abrupt power issues in the audio system.

BINGO. Large white connector behind the head unit is the culprit. Soon as I even touched it, the sound cut out. Dealer is having their mobile tech take a look if he can recrimp the connector since it's still under warranty.