Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Relay needed amp noise at ignition

hawaiianstyln

My Exile ZLD is turning on before my Exile amps which is creating an annoying loud high tone 2 second “zip” noise.  I have never had this issue in nearly 30 years of installing car audio.  Maybe i got lucky!?  Apparently i need a relay at the amps or at the ZLD/EQ, which one not sure?

my setup does not include a head unit.  I am deckless.  My source in the entire boat is only the BlueTooth exile module. I doubt i need a relay before that, should be relay at the amps correct?  

What relay do i need for 3 exile amps and a good source to buy the relay?

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

are you sure it's the zld?  Have you tested by unplugging the RCAs and the thump goes away?

Hmmmm damn good question amigo i will  try that tonight

Unplugged the ZLD and turned ignition on, amps turned on and BT came on no sounds.  As soon as i plugged in ZLD (with ignition still on) it made the noise.

does that mean a relay wouldnt even work?  Almost sounds like its sending a signal to the amps when the ZLD turns on to make that noise

4 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Unplugged the ZLD and turned ignition on, amps turned on and BT came on no sounds.  As soon as i plugged in ZLD (with ignition still on) it made the noise.

does that mean a relay wouldnt even work?  Almost sounds like its sending a signal to the amps when the ZLD turns on to make that noise

Have you asked Brian or Donovan? What are their thoughts? Those guys at exile are super helpful. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

Have you asked Brian or Donovan? What are their thoughts? Those guys at exile are super helpful. 

I will call them tomorrow Donovan should know. I talk to brian on the phone all the time but sometimes i feel like i dont want to bother him with that when we are bro talking. Yah know.. 

As far as wiring a relay goes, any bosch style 5 pin relay will work.  example: https://smile.amazon.com/Nilight-Automotive-Harness-Interlocking-Socket/dp/B0748F1JK4/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=5+pin+relay&qid=1555430770&s=gateway&sr=8-7

It would be wired like this (remote turn on lead will be your rocker switch, additional accessories will be everything but your zld).  The ZLD would stay on the switch (i.e. fed by same B+ as remote turn on lead in the diagram).

addremacc.gif

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

@shawndoggy  thank you for that!!

no prob.  you could test whether this will work by manually disconnecting the amp turn on lead, powering up the zld, then reconnecting the amp turn on lead while the zld is powered, and seeing whether you get noise.  

Edited by shawndoggy

A standard relay will only shift the turn-on load, which is hardly measurable, from the actual switched source, to the B+ supply terminated to pin 87. Nothing about the turn-on timing or sequence changes with a standard relay. 

Relay closes after the switch, by a few milliseconds. Of course it changes the timing. Is it enough of a change? Dunno

can always get something like a programmable delay timer if not but those are a PITA to set up in comparison to a Bosch relay. 

Edited by shawndoggy
On 4/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

My Exile ZLD is turning on before my Exile amps which is creating an annoying loud high tone 2 second “zip” noise.

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

The ZLD would stay on the switch

40 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Relay closes after the switch, by a few milliseconds.

So based on the OPs deduction that the issue is the EQ coming on first, the relay would further the amp's turn on delay, thus increasing the undesired noise. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, MLA said:

So based on the OPs deduction that the issue is the EQ coming on first, the relay would further the amp's turn on delay, thus increasing the undesired noise. 

which is why I suggested testing first by powering up zld and pulling the remote lead.  

Basically, OP needs to isolate why the sound is happening.  Maybe it IS the other way around, with the amps on first and the zld comes on and creates the noise?  That seems a little unlikely because isn't that how a regular HU works (HU turns on then amps)?  but maybe it is the case.  He gonna have to experiment to figure it out.  Certainly if he wants to add a couple second delay, something like a PAC TR7 would work https://smile.amazon.com/PAC-TR-7-Universal-Trigger-Output/dp/B0002J22BO/ref=pd_day0_hl_504_1/140-8220004-3839430?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002J22BO&pd_rd_r=6164a6e6-60a4-11e9-bb40-b11ab2c84204&pd_rd_w=XF516&pd_rd_wg=ZstsU&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=CJ47YHF7ZF61MYHHBC0R&psc=1&refRID=CJ47YHF7ZF61MYHHBC0R

• Like 1

I can't believe with all the exile systems nobody has had this issue or they chose to ignore it.  Or something is unique with my exile install.

called Brian and he confirmed they build in a relay into the amps but sometimes it's not enough so relay is needed on occasion. 

I know my ZLD is wired as the furthest component away from the battery, could that could be the unique identifier making the Amps turn on before the ZLD.  That just seems like micro seconds for my ZLD to get power last before the amps, kind of doesn't make sense to me.... 

Basic Audio theory really:

• Amps always on last
  • Amps always off first

Which reduces any noise or amplifying noise in the lines (spikes, etc..)  I guess I need to wire in a relay to further delay the amps.  Or is that basically what the PAC TR7 is? @shawndoggy

the tr7 is programmable and you can add in different amounts of delay for different accessories (like amps).  Mostly people use them as bypasses so the video screen on a double din headunit will keep working while you drive.  But there are other uses too.

manual here: http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1011230044.pdf

• Like 1

All modern amplifiers contain a built-in instantaneous delay so that they don't reproduce a 'turn-on' event, and 'turn off' events. So this should not be happening. You mentioned "amplifiers" as plural. Have you checked 'ALL' the amplifiers independently to make sure this problem isn't limited to a single amplifier?