Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Malibu 22MXZ vs 2019 Axis A22

a1costly

New to the forum and looking for good insight from current Malibu owners. We are looking for a new boat this summer and we've narrowed it down to two options, an older Malibu and a new Axis boat. We currently have an 05 Nautique SV211 so anything will be an upgrade but I also want to know we''re making the right decision.

The 2015 22MXZ only has 80 hours and its fitted with PW2 and includes the PNP sacks. Really a beautiful boat. Asking price is ~75k

The 2019 A22 would need to stay under the 80k range so based on research would include the stock engine and sound, etc.

We have yet to determine what the 5 year factory warranty is worth to us so have yet to factor that it to our decision.

Looking for any helpful feedback and looking forward to being a part of this community. Thanks in advance!

ahopkins22LSV

Five year bow to stern warranty is huge imo. You’re covered if anything happens to go wrong then. 

One other thing to factor is that a 2015 mxz has surf gate and will surf pretty good but the surf gate and hull hadn’t been tuned in yet. The A22 is on its third hull generation and second hull/surf gate redesign since surf gate came out in 2014. The A22 was updated in 2015 and then again in 2019. I haven’t surged both back to back but my feeling is that the A22 will surf better, if not much better then a 2015 22 mxz.

Neither would really be a wrong choice if the 2015 checks out good but it is fun ordering a new boat. If you do go a22 I highly suggest power wedge 3. It’s been tweaked to be even better than PW2 and the surf pipe integration is much nicer. 

• Like 2

Thanks yall for the input. Really appreciate it. Was surfing the web last night and found a 16 23 LSV in our price range as well with less than 100 hours. Would that compare? Or is the A22 really that much better than anything used?

We'll use the boat for a little boat of everything, true family boat. We ride, surf, and ski. Skiing isn't a huge priority though.

ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, a1costly said:

Thanks yall for the input. Really appreciate it. Was surfing the web last night and found a 16 23 LSV in our price range as well with less than 100 hours. Would that compare? Or is the A22 really that much better than anything used?

We'll use the boat for a little boat of everything, true family boat. We ride, surf, and ski. Skiing isn't a huge priority though.

19 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

The 16' 23 LSV is a great boat. Surfs way better than the MXZ.

Agreed. The 23 LSV is the best selling boat in the Malibu lineup for a reason. It’s an amazing boat and that changes the decision for sure. One thing to think about now and should be anyway is how big is your crew? The LSV will have significantly more space in the main cabin but a bit smaller bow then the A22. Do you drive to the lake and spend all day on the lake or will the boat be at your dock at your house? One of the other might lean you to a bigger boat.

If I were in your shoes I’d pursue each option and try to get in each boat. Study every nook to see which boat will fit you and your family best. Then see which fits best into your budget. I’d try to demo each on the water too. Both are going to give your a great wake/wave though. Skiing is going to a bit hairy on each depending on what your expectations are. 

I bet I’d end up with the LSV if I were you. 

• Like 2

Update:

We've decided that having the luxuries of a Malibu are important to us, so we're going the used Malibu route. Unfortunately, someone beat us the 23LSV i mentioned before.

How do 22VLX's compare to the 23LSV's?

We are targeting 2015-2016 year models with <200 hours. I know that surf band is new for 16. Any other new features? I've been trying to do this research via interweb and youtube but I though asking here from folks who have actually been in them would be helpful.

Again, Thank you all for your help! Boat shopping is tough.

The 22VLX is pretty much identical to the 23LSV, it's just a foot shorter.

Keep a few things in mind about the luxury. You want to be within the warranty period. The warranty only transfers one time, so make sure you're buying from the original owner. The screens are NOT cheap to replace. In 2016 there was a bad batch of screens for the bottom right screen, and they were de-laminating and required replacement. I think the part along is over $1,000 IIRC.

Edited by boardjnky4

2016 was the first year of the 5 year warranty, so they likely get the edge over a 2015 on that category.  All 2015s are likely out of warranty at this point.  2016 was also the first year of the Ford engines (a plus in my book) and new tranny ratio (at least on the 23LSV - I am unsure on the 22), another plus in my book.  

Edited by hethj7