Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 T23 issues

Made4water

I have a ‘17 T23. I know they are slightly different but here is my set up for a killer wave

Full ballast plus PnP-750’s in rear full

650 PnP in bow full

2277 prop

110 Yeti full of ice and drinks pushed to the front

2 girls in bow or one of my big buddies.

Slightly list the boat to the side your surfing- usually moving just 1 person.

11.3 mph

I have the floating wedge and I do not use it

My crew is usually 3 girls and 4 guys

Great wave, I am very pleased with it. I noticed after the first runs I needed a lot of bow weight and needed to increase my speed over 11 mph. My depth is 200’+. 

Also, typically only 1 person sitting in the rear, most are mid ship

I can get the wave to look awesome but as soon as get behind it it has zero push except if I’m “riding the platform”. This is not my first boat and have tried countless different setups with weight, speed, wedge , ect just as the op. My previous boat was a 16 a20. Full pnp with sumo 650 rears and it was awesome. Better than this t23 which is totally wrong. 

Edited by Giesh164
24 minutes ago, Giesh164 said:

I can get the wave to look awesome but as soon as get behind it it has zero push except if I’m “riding the platform”. This is not my first boat and have tried countless different setups with weight, speed, wedge , ect just as the op. My previous boat was a 16 a20. Full pnp with sumo 650 rears and it was awesome. Better than this t23 which is totally wrong. 

yodapic.jpg

Without pics/vids i would guess a nice looking wave that has no push is probably too tall and short.  Sometimes on a wave thats too tall and squatty it feels like the curl comes from behind and makes pumping back in difficult.  Throw some weight in the front and see what happens.

Here is my surf setup for our 2017 T23

Full hard tank ballast

Wakemakers custom 825# bags in each rear locker

The plug-n-play 650# bag under the seats in front (not sure how much you actually get in that one)

200# of lead under the bow bag in front (this stays in the boat all of the time, I find it rides better all-around with it there)

I have an additional over the bow seat triangle bag 1000# fatsac (no one really enjoys sitting up front anyway and the T23 has plenty of room in back for us)

Floating wedge down

11.2mph

We run a relatively small crew of 4 people total most of the time.  This set up has been really successful for us and gives us a really nice wave.

Ive got a 2019 T23 with the high altitude prop.

900's in the rear with the auto vent so they dont quite fill all the way up

center tank filled

plug and play front filled

100lbs lead in the nose under the plug and play

100 lbs lead directly across from the drivers side

If there is less than 4 people on the boat then "Regular side" we wedge at 4, "Goofy side" wedge at 2

More than 4 people no wedge at all.

We shift people to the wave side as needed, and I usually ask a girl to sit on the deck on the surf side. 

• 4 weeks later...

2019 T23 - still just figuring it out - full plug and play from the dealer in the rear(i think they are 500's?), 200 lead under the Plug in play in the front - wedge at 4 regular, 3 goofy seemed great and really brought the bow down and lengthened the wave.  i figured more was better and added another 100 of lead to the front and 100 lead across from the drivers seat and it still seemed great.  started surfing with no wedge and it seemed to have better push and a cleaner lip farther back.  BUT once i put 6 or 8 people in it, it struggled at times to get up to surf speed (I have the 409 hp PCM Monsoon and stock prop at 500 ft altitude).  I'll contact the dealer, but I couldn't get up to 11.1 or over 4000 rpm's. At full throttle it was around 3800 and speed was only 9.6 at best.  I still find it odd that it runs at 3800 to 4000 rpm's to go 11.1 even without that extra lead or people.  i also thought it was odd that it wouldn't push higher rpm's even full throttle.  Maybe it's a prop issue?  

Bottom line, the wave is a great surf wave - without the lead, with a bit of the lead, with the wedge, without the wedge  - all of them were very surfable, just different.

- unless you fall out of it trying yet another unsuccessful 360

surf 2019 axis.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have had a similarly frustrating experience with a new 2019 T23 and still working on it.  The first issue was that the rear sacks were super tight to the touch after filling but turned out to be full of air not water.  After venting all the air by completely unscrewing the vents on the top of the sacks and filling the sacks completely until water ran from the top of the sacks, the wave looked and pushed much better.  Second, a two hundred twenty-five pound friend sat on the tip of the bow (not on the seat) and the wave elongated by at least ten feet (proof we needed lots more bow weight).  Third, to get the port side wave to form correctly, we dumped some ballast from the starboard side.

I was running at 11.2 mph with the wedge at 2 for the starboard wave and 4 for the port wave.

I think the boat needs a LOT of bow weight.  I have a plug and play under the front seats.  I think it's 450#.  To that I plan to add 200# of lead under the bag up front and a 1000# fat sack on top of the seats within the next few weeks.  Also, I am looking into auto vents for the rear bags.  I'll update after.   Any feedback is appreciated.

I have a T23 with 450 lead in bow evenly distributed then 150 under port side seat 200 under rear seat in front of engine 200 center but we used wedge 6 did really good. So we will put 200 in rear and do wedge 3 or 4 should be ok. 

Edited by Chadwiswall
On 8/1/2019 at 7:25 PM, Chadwiswall said:

I have a T23 with 450 lead in bow evenly distributed then 150 under port side seat 200 under rear seat in front of engine 200 center but we used wedge 6 did really good. So we will put 200 in rear and do wedge 3 or 4 should be ok. 

do you have the bow bag too? if so  that's a ton of bow weight! ( do you leave all of the lead in full time or only while surfing?) any photos of your wave?

We had some weirdness with our '19 T23. Think it was driver error though. I didn't get any photos of my husbands first ride unfortunately; was holding our toddler. I think our driver was going too fast and turning too much. My husband got back behind the wheel with the same setup and threw a massive wave, unfortunately, without anyone behind the boat. The water was choppy and nasty as hell so nobody wanted to surf. Windy, 107 degrees with a hairdryer wind, and tubers everywhere.

Anyway, I was just wondering. Where is the best place to get lead?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, sparker19 said:

We had some weirdness with our '19 T23. Think it was driver error though. I didn't get any photos of my husbands first ride unfortunately; was holding our toddler. I think our driver was going too fast and turning too much. My husband got back behind the wheel with the same setup and threw a massive wave, unfortunately, without anyone behind the boat. The water was choppy and nasty as hell so nobody wanted to surf. Windy, 107 degrees with a hairdryer wind, and tubers everywhere.

Typically its best to throw it up in the bow if your loading the back with ballast or your crew. I've also heard of people having great success throwing it under the spotter storage, but I've personally never tried that - only bow

On 8/6/2019 at 3:00 PM, sparker19 said:

Jared at www.leadwake.com  He is good guy.  Tell him TMC referred you or Don.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I struggled all summer chasing the unicorn that is a great wave for the 19 T23. 

I finally landed at a go to wave because I usually run with just my family (wife and 2 kids under 13) 

11.3, PNP 750s in rear, 200# less in port locker, 200# lead in observer compartment as far forward as possible, no wedge. Easy on the gas and surfs pretty good. It’s me second season surfing so by no means am I an expert but I can stay in the wave with some effort. I found that boards really matter. Easiest board for a gig like me (195#) is the Ronix Powertail. Push for days! But I needed to find out what all this bow talk was about. 

I borrowed an 800# sumo bag and put it in the walkway as far forward as possible, had 2 buddies sitting port side, dropped the wedge this time to 4 and man we were in business! Much longer, much more push. I was riding a new Ronix conductor and had to keep putting on the brakes. Never fell out the back except when I attempted another failed 360 (though I’m close). At any rate, I think I will try and talk the good woman into letting me keep the sumo bag on board always to get that perfect wave though I see a big eye roll coming from her. 

Here is a pic of my first backside slide

5EEEAD33-EB3B-40F3-AC36-1208E7C83451.png

Edited by ScottyT23
Added pics
6 hours ago, ScottyT23 said:

I struggled all summer chasing the unicorn that is a great wave for the 19 T23. 

I finally landed at a go to wave because I usually run with just my family (wife and 2 kids under 13) 

11.3, PNP 750s in rear, 200# less in port locker, 200# lead in observer compartment as far forward as possible, no wedge. Easy on the gas and surfs pretty good. It’s me second season surfing so by no means am I an expert but I can stay in the wave with some effort. I found that boards really matter. Easiest board for a gig like me (195#) is the Ronix Powertail. Push for days! But I needed to find out what all this bow talk was about. 

I borrowed an 800# sumo bag and put it in the walkway as far forward as possible, had 2 buddies sitting port side, dropped the wedge this time to 4 and man we were in business! Much longer, much more push. I was riding a new Ronix conductor and had to keep putting on the brakes. Never fell out the back except when I attempted another failed 360 (though I’m close). At any rate, I think I will try and talk the good woman into letting me keep the sumo bag on board always to get that perfect wave though I see a big eye roll coming from her. 

Here is a pic of my first backside slide

5EEEAD33-EB3B-40F3-AC36-1208E7C83451.png

Do you have the pnp bow bag? For that boat those 750's are alot for the rear without a ton of bow weight. The bow bag should be 440 pounds. If you dont, then Id suggest that and about 400 in lead bags instead of the 800 in the walkway. I run 750 rears and 900 total in the bow of my a20 and the wave is damn near perfect. 

Yes I have the bow PNP (450) and I will try shifting the lead to the bow. I will still need some weight to list it I believe. I suppose I could fill the starboard PNP half way, then I could probably do wedge 1-2 for some more rear weight.

5 hours ago, ScottyT23 said:

Yes I have the bow PNP (450) and I will try shifting the lead to the bow. I will still need some weight to list it I believe. I suppose I could fill the starboard PNP half way, then I could probably do wedge 1-2 for some more rear weight.

I list as well. Not much, probably less 300-400 on the non surf side.