Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu Wakesetter

MalibuRyan

Hi everyone,

Long time Malibu enthusiasts/owner/driver. My family has had a Malibu Wakesetter since it was new in 2002, and it’s now time to buy my own. I’m buying a 2012 Malibu Wakesetter VLX w/190 hours on it and with a factory LSA 555hp motor as well. Very exited to pick it up soon! I’ve seen some older threads on here talking about the vinyl issue when the OEM Cover is on the boat, and the color change. The current owner informed me of this and still uses the OEM cover but stores the boat indoors all the time to avoid this and informed me that the color “bakes out” in the sun and does go away. 

Couple questions:

1. Is it too late to try and reach out to Malibu on this issue for material correction? 

2. What covers do you all suggest to be the best for overall use(trailering, water/weather proof, let’s The not breath etc) and to help avoid this problem? 

The boat will sit out most of the time so looking to avoid this issue if I can. 

Appreciate all the help and feedback and looking forward to being a member!

Thank you,

Ryan

I re did my interior completly in 15 or 16 and the new interior does it too.  It is the heat.  I have a new bakes cover from 17.  It is a great cover but it is the heat.  If you keep the cover from directly contacting the interior it will help.  Just bought a CS cover last year for an 06 vride same thing.  I say it is one of those things.  Within a few hours to a day at most it is all gone.  Not a big deal.  Most people care that you have a sweet boat not about the color of your interior.  I say dont even sweat and just let it happen.  Keeping the cover off things is a PITA.

Thanks for the info!! I’ve heard that a new cover will make this go away and new interior will fix it as it was a defective glue in the vinyl? My families old 2002 Wakesetter sat under a nice cover the whole summer and never once had this issue. Which cover would you say would be best to try and prevent this and overall use, especially for trailering. What does PITA mean, sorry haha. 

Evolution covers are the best covers there are, but there's a long wait list. It's well worth it though. Great for trailering and sitting. 

PITA = pain in the a**

11 minutes ago, MalibuRyan said:

Thanks for the info! I reached out to Evolution covers and they are booked until August. Will put deposit in and get a place in line. 

That’s not too bad. I put a deposit in October last year and mine will be ready at the end of May. 

My VLX with black cover does the same but only on the very top of the bow seat. Doesn’t seem to happen on the engine covers. I just slip a towel between the cover and the bow seat if I know it’s going to be out in the heat for a decent stint. 

Thank you everyone for all the amazing information. I have a call with Evolution today when I get out of work. From not knowing the main difference, what sets apart an Evo cover from another big brand like a Carver boat cover? That Evo cover in the pic looks incredible! 

I have read that the issue with the Vinyl is related to glue, I am really trying to avoid that at all costs, and told a new cover, different from the OEM Black Malibu cover should make it go away.........

I pick the boat up in the beginning of May and itching to get on the water!

I love my Evolution cover, however, even in grey the cover will discolor your interior. Fine in the shade but turns orange and pink in the sun with the cover on. The good news is that it has always cleared up after an hour in direct sun lite.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:05 PM, windy1 said:

I love my Evolution cover, however, even in grey the cover will discolor your interior. Fine in the shade but turns orange and pink in the sun with the cover on. The good news is that it has always cleared up after an hour in direct sun lite.

That is my hope, that it totally bakes out in the sun. Evo covers are booked until August, so will have to have the stock Black Malibu cover on it until then.....

On 4/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, BSUBU_Kris said:

I would buy a roll of this and put it over your rear deck when putting the cover on the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK6T6KQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_JBITCbQ7P41JP

I have used it for other purposes and the side opposite the sun stays very cool.  You could roll it up and fold your cover around it between uses. 

So you're suggesting to role this out over the rear deck(white vinyl down) and then put the cover over this material. Do you think this would deflect enough of the heat to help with this vinyl issue? Any concerns of this trapping more moisture/heat in between this pad and the rear deck?

I have used it in windows on another boat to keep heat out and the side opposite the sun is cool to the touch even in 100 degree heat in direct sunlight.

-h7gLxviRSSplwKsBgsmjQ?viewBox=944,1259&

This is cut up into strips but I started with the same roll of insulation referenced.

FMTjuZLUQcCfMTsLJsvUjw?nonce=7ZxGGmNjtYZ

Without the insulation the inside of the blinds were hot to the touch.  Made a huge difference in keeping the heat out.  Little different application but it should work for the cover also.

Kris

Edited by BSUBU_Kris
Fix image link.