Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1988 sunsetter starts great

Not sure I am using the controls correctly. . It has a single arm with no collar just a ball at the top and a button on the main part of the control base next to the arm. I can pull the button out and start the boat but am unsure how to engage transmission and dont want to break anything it dies if I push the lever forward or backwards

The “pull button” you speak of....when you pull it out that keeps the transmission in neutral so you can advance the throttle and rev the engine. With it pushed in, the transmission should engage. Couple things to note. Do not engage the transmission on the trailer as the drive shaft is lubed by water. ( the reason if you spin the prop by hand it makes a moaning sound.) A possible reason it dies is I’m betting it’s a carbed engine and it needs to warm up before advancing the throttle. When is the last time she was tuned up?  

To be honest if you could tell me how to upload photos that would be a great start. I just acquired the boat and the owner is deceased so unclear as to tune up. He owned boat 2 years and didnt appear to destroy what was absolute love from the original owners.

12 minutes ago, TroyNic said:

To be honest if you could tell me how to upload photos that would be a great start. I just acquired the boat and the owner is deceased so unclear as to tune up. He owned boat 2 years and didnt appear to destroy what was absolute love from the original owners.

To upload a photo... get a flickr account or any other photo sharing site. Upload your photo there and copy the web address. Paste that address here in the comment box. Or become a paid member of this site to upload as you please.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Also, if you are starting it while on the trailer, are you connected to a water supply?  If not you will destroy the pliable rubber water impeller pretty quickly.

@TroyNic:  As a novice I suggest you find the engine and owners manual for your new acquisition and read them from start to finish before you spend more time running your boat.  They will contain the information you are asking about and much more on operation of your boat.  If you don't have them, they will be accessible online and probably in the Resources section of this site.  You are new to the aspect of a raw water pump as the device that provides engine cooling water, the impact of running your boat dry and on the trailer, so I urge you to learn more on those specific subjects as understanding them is critical to maintaining your boat in good shape.  I also suggest you study the boat regulations for your area and the key safety items you need to be aware of and have on your boat.  A marine safety course should be on your to do list.

Plumas lake, and yes I had a water supply when I started the motor, did not engage transmission on trailer and my wife and I very carefully put it in the lake after making sure we were good to go. It performed great.

• Like 1