Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Euro F3 Ballast

91malibu

I'm looking into ballast bags for my Sunsetter Euro F3, but need some help.  I'll typically have my 3 young kids and wife along and will not use bags (I need the floor space with the family), but I do want to have some ballast for days out wakeboarding without the whole crew.  I don't want to go super heavy and risk taking on water, but would like enough to make a decent wake for beginner/intermediate wakeboarding.  My question is what kind of weight will that take?  There will generally only be 1-3 adults in the boat while wakeboarding.  I am looking at a 350 pound bag on each side of the motor...is that enough weight for what I'm trying to do?  I'd like to leave the rear seat in place if possible.  FYI I am running an ACME 541 prop.

From what I've read, weight in the ski locker/bow may actually hurt the wake with my hull design.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

You shouldn't need any ballast for beginner/intermediate wakeboarding.  I've had guys doing backflips of my Tantrum wake with no ballast, just two adults sitting in the back seat.  I know your hull isn't exactly the same as mine but they're close... my boat doesn't weigh anything... i do have a single fat sac (I think it's 350 or 500 or something) but rarely use it.  The issue like you said is that there isn't a lot of room in these boats.  

If you were to do it, weight in the back and beside the motor box is probably the best.

Does your back seat bottom raise up to sit on the arm rests? I used a half filled "lounge seat" fat sack under my rear seat in my 90 Euro.

For surfing I used 2 lounge seats, one on each side of the engine, and people or other sacs in the rear. My rear vents would always get filled with water when stopping. I think you can still see my old boat in my gallery.

17 minutes ago, solorex said:

You shouldn't need any ballast for beginner/intermediate wakeboarding.  I've had guys doing backflips of my Tantrum wake with no ballast, just two adults sitting in the back seat.  I know your hull isn't exactly the same as mine but they're close... my boat doesn't weigh anything... i do have a single fat sac (I think it's 350 or 500 or something) but rarely use it.  The issue like you said is that there isn't a lot of room in these boats.  

If you were to do it, weight in the back and beside the motor box is probably the best.

This... The best wakeboarders behind my boat are ones that learned to ride on a small wake... Wakeboarding started before these big wakes ;) 

Thanks for the replies.  I’ll give it a go with moving people to the back of the boat and see how it goes. Any recommendations for starting rope length?  I’m thinking around 60 feet should be a good starting point. 

8 hours ago, 91malibu said:

Thanks for the replies.  I’ll give it a go with moving people to the back of the boat and see how it goes. Any recommendations for starting rope length?  I’m thinking around 60 feet should be a good starting point. 

Speed will play a part in this as well... No less than 60 ft. As an intermediate rider, I ride at 65 - 70 ft. and 22 mph... My beginner riders (depends mainly on age but other factors as well.. I pull at 18 - 20 mph.

Everyone has an opinion on what is best.. all I can say is that slower speeds hurt less when you fall.. I have some semi pro riders that ride with me... 2 preach start with small wake and shorter rope with slower speeds.

• 3 weeks later...

It's possible in a Euro F3 without any extra weight (but much better in the T22!). Video is on a choppy day with only two on board. Skilon pole and 65ft rope. At the end of the day, it's a ski boat (and a great one).

Wake