Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tongue Lock - What do you like?

carguy79ta

If I kept my boat or trailer outside all the time I would be more concerned but since I don't, I use a simple pin lock to lock boat to truck when parked at public ramps or when leaving trailer unattended while on vacation.

042899704218.jpg

On 4/12/2019 at 12:22 PM, wedge88 said:

If I kept my boat or trailer outside all the time I would be more concerned but since I don't, I use a simple pin lock to lock boat to truck when parked at public ramps or when leaving trailer unattended while on vacation.

042899704218.jpg

Thanks for your reply. Ours is always stored in a building also, but we are thinking that someone could break in at our lake house, so we are thinking about something for when we are not there...I realize if someone wants it, they will take it, lock be damned.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the one I use.  Coupler lock  replaces the pin.  

This Master Lock protects and guards against tow-away theft. The lock works when the trailer is either connected to the tow vehicle or when the trailer is unattached. The lock prevents the coupler latch from moving, therefore preventing either the coupler to be removed from the ball, or not allowing a ball to be placed into the coupler.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZ7WJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.3799f69d2281545f18e3e0639497734b.png

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Most tongue locks (old hot girlfriends excepted) are useless.  A boot is a better idea.  But regardless, if they want it they get it.  Last theft in my area used a flatbed to move the whole works.

18 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

But regardless, if they want it they get it.  Last theft in my area used a flatbed to move the whole works.

This.  Also, if you have a swing-away tongue without a locking pin you're exposed there too...

On 4/24/2019 at 7:26 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Most tongue locks (old hot girlfriends excepted) are useless.  A boot is a better idea.  But regardless, if they want it they get it.  Last theft in my area used a flatbed to move the whole works.

What kind of boot are you referencing?

My boat is in garage but I am also a bit weird about this. I have a pin lock for coupler like shown in 2nd post but before locking that into place, also put on one of the yellow gorilla locks that inserts where the ball goes and then has the u-bolt that locks down to hold it into place (would take a grinder or couple saw-z-all blades to remove that since its hardened steel and fairly thick and of course that creates 2 locks to cut if you are trying to hook the trailer to a truck). You can also remove and hide the pin for the swing tongue to create another problem for a thief so its a 3-step process. I have a detached garage I built for the boat at my house, so the perimeter of my home along with both attached and detached garages are monitored by security camera's. I also put 1 camera inside each of my garages so I can see the boat & vehicles in the event something does happen. Not much else you can do except have good insurance, we live in a crazy world where things happen without rhyme or reason.

At boat ramp, my hitch is locked to my truck receiver....and then the pin lock secures the trailer coupler to the ball (2nd pic down in this thread), locks the trailer to the hitch ball. Thieves are typically lazy and want to be in/out quickly to reduce chances of being caught, so normally if you are secured better than the guy next to you, they move on to an easy target. I have noticed that VERY few people at boat ramp do anything at all to secure their trailers, so I figure I am fairly safe.

Summer of 2017, I was meeting surfing buddies in afternoon after work and since that was before I moved to lake neighborhood and work was an hour away and lake was about half way...I would take the boat with me in morning and drop it off near lake (saved me an easy hour driving later in day). I got permission to park the boat/trailer at a Lowes store parking lot. I would unhook the trailer, installed both coupler locks and take the pin for the swing tounge with me. Then I also chaulked the tires and ran steel cables thru the wheels on each side that also locked to the tire chaulk's. I know it was overkill, but I still have my boat, lol.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 10:18 AM, Infinitysurf said:

so normally if you are secured better than the guy next to you, they move on to an easy target. I have noticed that VERY few people at boat ramp do anything at all to secure their trailers, so I figure I am fairly safe.

This.