Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yeti cooler size for 18/19 23LSV?

gregtay

3 hours ago, Chappy said:

Did AO make the soft coolers that Malibu provided back around 2008 or were those some knock off brand?  Just curious because those things were cheap and kept ice for about 15 minutes, I think mine only made it 2 seasons before I had to toss it!

AO made an identical sized cooler that was much better quality than the factory soft sider. It never made it a season for me but the AO are solid. I did have an AO start leaking after several years, they sent me a brand new one.

I run an AO 48can in the walkway.  Loaded up that thing is HEAVY so I would rather run multiples than one even bigger.  I have the smaller AO's when additional capacity is required.  

Great for boating, not great for keeping ice if camping. 

Just now, Dfowkes said:

You should check out RTIC coolers. They are also very well built and if the labels were missing from each cooler you would have a hard time telling the difference, in the hard coolers. RTIC soft coolers are great also. We own a couple of RTIC’s hard and soft and have been very pleased. They often run 20% off deals. 

Second this. We've got two RTIC coolers, a 45 that lives on the floor of the boat and a 60 that stays on the dock. I believe the quality is damn close if not the same to that of a Yeti, but at a much better price. If you're leaving one on the floor, do yourself a favor and grab a GatorStep or Seadek pad to match your boat flooring. It serves as another place to sit while floating and it looks really cool! Note, GatorStep does charge a fee to add the Malibu logo, but the Toffee color matches perfectly with the Toffee in the LSV.

657961559_IMG_1926copy.thumb.jpg.7c8f6ab37453324f54ca9a7963551af0.jpg

1399753277_IMG_1410copy.thumb.jpg.8183a438a597abb624a10830e6dacd9e.jpg

I wouldn't use a yeti for a drink cooler.  All the opening and closing negates the extra insulation. If you use a thinner walled cooler you can fit more drinks in the same space.  Yeti and rtic are great for long term storage if you dont open them every 5 minutes.  

Also am I the only one who was super excited their boat could fit a cooler in a compartment?  Our old runabout used to have boards and coolers on the floor. Now typically my 23lsv has nothing on the floor and it's so easy to move around the boat.  Someone has to move to get drinks so every time we switch riders the drink person passes out another round.  No big deal. 

• Like 2

I will second the AO Coolers.  I have 4 of them.  Two that were made to replace the factory one.  That factory one lasted only a couple months and would not keep I for more than a couple hours.  The AO will still have lots of ice at the end of the day after being opened and closed constantly.  In my 2010 LSV I keep one in the factory cooler location and the other under the passenger seat that is hinged on the Port side of the boat.  There warranty is awesome as over the years they have replaced or repaired all of my coolers.  They do tend to last for 3 years or so.  I put about 100 hours on my boat each year.

My buddies at SC Wake can do custom seadek cooler tops btw.  They are awesome.  I’m going to do one this year for the yeti 35 I use on our boat.  I usually bring two coolers, a yet full of pellet ice and snacks and then a soft rtic for cans/bottles and some mixers and cube ice.

Sweet, matches the boat. I have the 40 and we love it. Word of caution, frequently use the zipper lube. The lack of lube and the extra effort involved will see the lower seam start to pull away from the cooler.

• 3 months later...

15 hours ago, gregtay said:

Figured I’d loop back with a photo of the big RTIC which fits perfectly under the port seat 😬.

E69FBBB5-A7EA-4F21-8B58-5587B521DF6E.thumb.jpeg.0889313a43fd7120e2d79e366c45f10b.jpeg

15 hours ago, wdr said:

I had an RTIC 40 and loved it, but I didn't use the zipper lube as much as I should have and now its toast unfortunately. So use the lube liberally.

I just bought a RTIC 30 soft cooler last week.  They are 50% off right now.  $99 for the 30.  They didn't have any cool colors like @gregtay got though, but still a great price.  Seems well built, but I can see how the zipper may be an issue if not lubed.  It's obviously such an issue that they include lube with it and instruct you to lube it.

Cooler.thumb.jpg.345701b60ca8b6ff8eaddd79363f1933.jpg

• 7 months later...

Where did you get cooler pad that says Malibu?  I have the same colors.  i don't see that gatorstep does the Malibu logo. and seadek just has basic ones in a few colors.

Gregtay.... looks like that RTIC 40 fits in there really nice.

But how do you get the zipper open to get into it? Do you have to lift the cooler out?

Been watching this close as looking for a solution on my 2020 T22.

I have a YETI 45 that I have put in the bow walkway, which is a really nice fit there. I was considering a Roadie 20 for under the seat in that location. My logic is for quick runs out, the 20 would be enough, and for days where the boat is full, food in the 20 under the seat and beverages in the 45 in the bow.

I’m also probably going to get a jug with a spout for water (not an Yeti...) but something where I don’t have to have the cooler 40-50% full of just water for the family and have to deal with all the trash. Everyone can bring their canteen (have 15 cupholders) and I’ll throw some extra keg cups on for guests that want water.

I do like the premium coolers... I’ve trashed a bunch of coolers in the past. Once you get a Yeti and see how they perform and hold up, it’s hard to go back to Coleman/Igloo, etc...

1 hour ago, KSUwildcat said:

I do like the premium coolers... I’ve trashed a bunch of coolers in the past. Once you get a Yeti and see how they perform and hold up, it’s hard to go back to Coleman/Igloo, etc...

Agreed

I received my Yeti 45 as a birthday gift from my wife. I waited almost 2 months to use it because I was ging to return it. I could not see paying that much for a cooler. Now that is the only cooler in the boat and I have 4-5 other coolers that stay on the houseboat/land and refill the Yeti daily from them. 3 years of sitting/standing/dancing on the Yeti, in the Bu, and it is still as strong as new. It just wont give up. 

1 hour ago, KSUwildcat said:

I have a YETI 45 that I have put in the bow walkway, which is a really nice fit there. I was considering a Roadie 20 for under the seat in that location. My logic is for quick runs out, the 20 would be enough, and for days where the boat is full, food in the 20 under the seat and beverages in the 45 in the bow.

Good to know.  Have always wondered which Yeti would fit in the walkway...now I know.  

11 hours ago, KSUwildcat said:

Gregtay.... looks like that RTIC 40 fits in there really nice.

But how do you get the zipper open to get into it? Do you have to lift the cooler out?

I’m also probably going to get a jug with a spout for water (not an Yeti...) but something where I don’t have to have the cooler 40-50% full of just water for the family and have to deal with all the trash. Everyone can bring their canteen (have 15 cupholders) and I’ll throw some extra keg cups on for guests that want water.

No need to lift it out to get the zipper but it is a little tight getting your hand around the front (but it is a soft cooler so you can make it work.).  Most of the time we just unzip it and leave it unzipped. The lid closes tight due to the foam insulation, so works great. Just flip up the seat and flip open the cooler.  

On 3/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, ToddK said:

Where did you get cooler pad that says Malibu?  I have the same colors.  i don't see that gatorstep does the Malibu logo. and seadek just has basic ones in a few colors.

Your nearest GatorStep licensed dealer can special order the Malibu logo in whatever color/pattern you want.