Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yeti cooler size for 18/19 23LSV?

gregtay

Howdy all, our new 23LSV is about to leave the factory on its way to us and my birthday present from the family this year (today is my birthday:)) is a Yeti or RTIC cooler for the new boat.  Question.. is there a size that fits in the same spot that the factory Igloo cooler fits for a 23LSV?  thanks!  

@gregtay sorry I cannot be more help on answering your question, but Happy Birthday!! I believe most people have been going with an AO soft cooler that fits best, but I'm not sure what size or anything.

I don't know the answer either but you could call your dealer and they should be able to measure real quick for you.

Also happy B-day!

I have a friend that put one in his new 23. I think it was a Roadie. It fit physically but you couldn't latch the lid down or unlatch it without lifting the cooler up past the edge of the compartment. He's out of the country this week but I'll check with hiim when he gets back.

I tried my 20 qt Pelican and 40 qt Yeti and had the same problem @Ronnie mentioned.  Depending on how many people are going for the day, I usually take one and set it in the floor.  I haven't used the igloo yet since I use that area for rope, anchor, bumper storage.  I might use it if I am taking 9+ people out and need the extra floor room to walk around.

I use an AO where the Igloo went.  Usually put food in it as our crew is usually 8 + people.  

I have a Yeti 60 and 75, one if which usually lives on the floor of the boat.

Even if you find a Yeti type cooler that fits where the Igloo goes, it is still a PITA to have people constantly getting up to access it.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

I don’t get the point of using a super insulated cooler in a boat, giving up interior cooler space to insulation when you are opening it every 10-15 min.  Cool goes out, heat goes in every time you open the lid.  Get a decent soft-sided cooler, easier to carry and more interior space.

You won’t notice a difference in ability to keep ice unless you are going to use it for prolonged storage with limited access.

Was thinking the same thing.

1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

I don’t get the point of using a super insulated cooler in a boat, giving up interior cooler space to insulation when you are opening it every 10-15 min.  Cool goes out, heat goes in every time you open the lid.  Get a decent soft-sided cooler, easier to carry and more interior space.

You won’t notice a difference in ability to keep ice unless you are going to use it for prolonged storage with limited access.

Probably largely depends on what type of boating you are doing.

We do several trips every year to Lake Powell, where it is 100* +, and the houseboat is camped somewhere between 25 - 90 miles away from the nearest marina, so ice is a precious commodity.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that Yeti type coolers hold ice significantly better than anything else in these conditions.

42 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Probably largely depends on what type of boating you are doing.

We do several trips every year to Lake Powell, where it is 100* +, and the houseboat is camped somewhere between 25 - 90 miles away from the nearest marina, so ice is a precious commodity.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that Yeti type coolers hold ice significantly better than anything else in these conditions.

Right, as long as you aren’t opening to grab a beer every 5-10 min.  

Someone needs to put an igloo inside two other igloos and see how long the ice lasts in it vs a Yeti.  It seems they just have thicker walls which is more insulation.   Brilliant marketing by them, but it seems like simple thermodynamics.  I get it, they are well built, etc. but it amazes me at the prices they command.  

• Like 2

And fwiw, I think my AO is a 36 can.  I know the newer ones are a little deeper, but it was a great fit under the seat on my 2016 LSV or behind the driver with the seat flipped up.  That was the most convenient spot as it didn’t require folks to move.  

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

Someone needs to put an igloo inside two other igloos and see how long the ice lasts in it vs a Yeti.  It seems they just have thicker walls which is more insulation.   Brilliant marketing by them, but it seems like simple thermodynamics.  I get it, they are well built, etc. but it amazes me at the prices they command.  

You should check out RTIC coolers. They are also very well built and if the labels were missing from each cooler you would have a hard time telling the difference, in the hard coolers. RTIC soft coolers are great also. We own a couple of RTIC’s hard and soft and have been very pleased. They often run 20% off deals. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

You should check out RTIC coolers. They are also very well built and if the labels were missing from each cooler you would have a hard time telling the difference, in the hard coolers. RTIC soft coolers are great also. We own a couple of RTIC’s hard and soft and have been very pleased. They often run 20% off deals. 

Yep.. Looking at RTIC as well and so far like them better.

10 hours ago, Lees23 said:

Right, as long as you aren’t opening to grab a beer every 5-10 min.  

All I can tell you is that from personal experience, the ice will last longer in all conditions.  Even being in the cooler constantly.

8 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

I gave up on Yeti.  I like supporting innovation (face it, they took a huge risk when they came to market - 10 years ago who thought people would spend $400 on a cooler?), but at this point their prices are too high, and I still don't like what they did with the NRA.

RTIC has been advertising "price war" pricing, and up to 40% discount lately.  I bought a 120 quart cooler from them two years ago when they were on sale.  The biggest problem with that was they weren't in stock.  I want to say I ordered in October/November, and didn't get the cooler until March/April.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I gave up on Yeti.  I like supporting innovation (face it, they took a huge risk when they came to market - 10 years ago who thought people would spend $400 on a cooler?), but at this point their prices are too high, and I still don't like what they did with the NRA.

I also have given up on Yeti for the same reason as RyanB. However, I bought some Rtic thermos, cups etc. The quality is not there. They leak, where as the Yeti's don't. I am going to Orca or Pelican for the next one. I use multiple smaller 48/60 qt chests because I can lift them. Igloos don't hold ice as long as the Yeti. My wife bought me my 48 qt Yeti for my birthday and I almost returned it. So glad I didn't. The Yeti sits on the floor of the boat at all times and I refill it daily from another chest on the houseboat. It has lasted 2 years and shows no signs of wear except being dirty. I would go through at least one Igloo per year in the boat from people walking/sitting on them. I also have started occasionally using the AO soft sided for day trips when it is just the wife and I.

AO coolers are my choice.  I often find ice in it the next morning and they are so economical that if you leave liquid in it for days and do let it get moldy you can just throw it away and get a new one.This one is pretty good for under your seats:  https://www.amazon.com/AO-Coolers-Stow-N-Go-Cooler-38-Pack/dp/B0030J017U/   No paying for Yeti's advertising costs!  Then  again I'm a day tripper (at the longest) so super insulation doesn't matter much.

Lots of sizes to fit most anywhere.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

AO coolers are my choice.  I often find ice in it the next morning and they are so economical that if you leave liquid in it for days and do let it get moldy you can just throw it away and get a new one.This one is pretty good for under your seats:  https://www.amazon.com/AO-Coolers-Stow-N-Go-Cooler-38-Pack/dp/B0030J017U/   No paying for Yeti's advertising costs!  Then  again I'm a day tripper (at the longest) so super insulation doesn't matter much.

Lots of sizes to fit most anywhere.

I use the same one under the seats but mine has the Axis logo as I got it as a Christmas present.  We have a Rtic20 that stays out for quick grabs but lunches and restocks go in the AO under the seat. I've had the AO for 5 years now.

I have both the RTIC 45 and the RTIC 65. The 65 takes up too much room on the floor according to my wife but it's nice because food and drinks fit in the one cooler. I put it in the middle of the cabin floor and even though you have to step over it the cooler does function as a nice table top. I will admit that even though I like the cooler size it does take up a bunch of room that doesn't affect me much when I'm in the captain's chair but does affect the people in the cabin space.

So, I purchased an RTIC 45 over the winter. It takes up a lot less space and you can walk around it instead of over it when it's in the cabin. 

Neither cooler fits under the seat. When we're using the RTIC 45 we also use our AO soft cooler under the seat.

I love the RTIC coolers. They're really well built and keep ice as advertised. I've actually bought 3 of them now. Here are the links to the ones I own:

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded/RTIC-65-Tan

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded/RTIC-45-Tan

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/softpak/Soft-Pack-30-Grey

The softpak 30 does fit under the seat BTW.

Hope that helps. Congrats on the new boat.

Did AO make the soft coolers that Malibu provided back around 2008 or were those some knock off brand?  Just curious because those things were cheap and kept ice for about 15 minutes, I think mine only made it 2 seasons before I had to toss it!

Just now, Chappy said:

Did AO make the soft coolers that Malibu provided back around 2008 or were those some knock off brand?  Just curious because those things were cheap and kept ice for about 15 minutes, I think mine only made it 2 seasons before I had to toss it!

That thing was awful... I felt mine in the back of the car one day after being on the lake and when I went out a few hours later the ice had melted and water seeped out the bottom soaking the carpet in back of the SUV.. but worse is the black ink they used in the fabric bleed and stained the carpet in my car black.  It was a mess.

Back to the original post:

At the moment I think I am going to pick up one of the larger RTIC soft coolers and an RTIC 20 hard cooler.... or just grab a second soft cooler. Figured one for drinks and one for food when we need it :)

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Back to the original post:

At the moment I think I am going to pick up one of the larger RTIC soft coolers and an RTIC 20 hard cooler.... or just grab a second soft cooler. Figured one for drinks and one for food when we need it :)

Sorry for the sidebar:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Chappy said:

I got my AO two years ago and it still looks new, holds water, and the zipper is good - although we don't use it much because it's easier to grab stuff out of it and it still keeps the cold in.