Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu M5 M6 winterization

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, asnowman said:

i was told last year, there was an issue with the origional part, and it was being re-designed, i am still waiting for the new part to be available.

I am sure it is a "specific part" for Malibu, but I am also sure you could easily and probably much cheaper, build something on your own. I'll try to get a picture this afternoon for ya!

• 2 weeks later...

So my 2020 25 LSV was a late February build and it also doesn’t have a blue plug on the hose below the heat exchanger. Just a fat black hose running all the way to the v-drive without any fitting in it (as shown in Hop’s pic).

In my case I’m “summarizing” my boat as it came factory direct without any dealer prep. There were four (4) plugs in the glove box, but only three (3) places to put them in. And the hose IS connected to the heat exchanger. So I’m thinking the factory just took the three (3) plugs out after the water test and called it a day (ie the boat was not completely winterized when I took delivery). But then why four (4) plugs in the glove box?? 

97C57945-B713-46FD-A3F9-7100279C2469.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV

@IXFE, that is weird. Yours was built like a week after mine. Granted I have the M5 but I don’t know if that changes the raw water plumbing... I don’t know where else the 4th plug could go. You could do a test run on a fake lake to see if water is spraying out somewhere before you go to the lake. Or do it at the launch on the trailer if it’s not busy. 

7 hours ago, IXFE said:

So my 2020 25 LSV was a late February build and it also doesn’t have a blue plug on the hose below the heat exchanger. Just a fat black hose running all the way to the v-drive without any fitting in it (as shown in Hop’s pic).

In my case I’m “summarizing” my boat as it came factory direct without any dealer prep. There were four (4) plugs in the glove box, but only three (3) places to put them in. And the hose IS connected to the heat exchanger. So I’m thinking the factory just took the three (3) plugs out after the water test and called it a day (ie the boat was not completely winterized when I took delivery). But then why four (4) plugs in the glove box?? 

97C57945-B713-46FD-A3F9-7100279C2469.jpeg

I am guessing, but at this point in M5/M6 production most of the water test people are used to seeing "the 4th plug" for the HE elbow and that they probably just chucked No. 4 into the glove box thinking that they probably dropped/lost a plug in the after process.

So I got it all squared away... turns out the 2020 25 LSV M6 does indeed need all four plugs. That fourth plug under the heat exchanger was a real booger in my boat. The raw water hose almost completely blocks any access to where that plug goes... you have to get your whole body down inside the locker lying down, then it’s the right hand through the tiny space left by the raw water hose and the left arm wrapped around the back of the engine and your left hand under the heay exchanger from behind. Then it’s a blind game of trial and error to thread that small plug into the tiny, invisible black hole. Good times!

One thing I was concerned about was dropping the plug. You’d never find it again and I have no spares. So I did a little plug mod... this saved me three times!  

154DC86C-4A18-4C1F-BD56-36CB6702AF2D.jpeg

3EB39646-613F-4EB2-B339-C54B1C87FCDD.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/25/2020 at 9:22 PM, IXFE said:

So I got it all squared away... turns out the 2020 25 LSV M6 does indeed need all four plugs. That fourth plug under the heat exchanger was a real booger in my boat. The raw water hose almost completely blocks any access to where that plug goes... you have to get your whole body down inside the locker lying down, then it’s the right hand through the tiny space left by the raw water hose and the left arm wrapped around the back of the engine and your left hand under the heay exchanger from behind. Then it’s a blind game of trial and error to thread that small plug into the tiny, invisible black hole. Good times!

One thing I was concerned about was dropping the plug. You’d never find it again and I have no spares. So I did a little plug mod... this saved me three times!  

154DC86C-4A18-4C1F-BD56-36CB6702AF2D.jpeg

3EB39646-613F-4EB2-B339-C54B1C87FCDD.jpeg

Brilliant job on the fishing line solution!  I got down and looked at mine and it's so tight I will have to get the wife to put her smaller wrist in there as I can touch it, but not turn it!  Not easy access!

So, my dealer said I only had to pull the three front plugs. When I read this thread , I wanted to be safe, rather than sorry. What a bugger! I did do the fishing line trick, cause @IXFE is right, you drop it’s gone! Very little water came out, don’t know if it was enough to freeze anything. Don’t know if it was needed or not. My 2019, you had to remove the hose. That sucked too.

Edited by surfdude
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Perch said:

Does anyone know why you can't just run rv antifreeze through the system via the flush inlet line?  Don't drain anything, just run a few gallons of rv antifreeze.....

You will be diluting the antifreeze. You also can't guarantee that it pushed all/any of the water out. It seriously takes 10-20 minutes to drain properly. It is well worth the time.

12 minutes ago, Perch said:

Thanks.  I am afraid its not going to be a short exercise if that rear starboard drain line is so inaccessible that I can't turn my hand to remove the plug!

If it makes you feel any better, my 2019 does not have a drain there, so i have to pull the hose off the heat exchanger. Still only takes about 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Should be easy access under the center rear seat. 

The 2021 has the sliding sky box seat in the rear.  I'm hoping I don't have to pull the floor panel to access it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 11:56 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

You will be diluting the antifreeze. You also can't guarantee that it pushed all/any of the water out. It seriously takes 10-20 minutes to drain properly. It is well worth the time.

So I hired the dealer to do the winterization since the boat is brand new/warranty and really wanted to see how they got that too difficult to reach drain plug out.  to my surprise on the drain plug They Don't remove them (only v drive)!, ...just pulled the inlet line, hooked up a hose and ran 6 gallons of RV antifreeze through!

1 hour ago, Perch said:

So I hired the dealer to do the winterization since the boat is brand new/warranty and really wanted to see how they got that too difficult to reach drain plug out.  to my surprise on the drain plug They Don't remove them (only v drive)!, ...just pulled the inlet line, hooked up a hose and ran 6 gallons of RV antifreeze through!

Not surprised really. When I have pulled my block plugs on my M5, there has only been a table spoon of water at most that has ever come out of either side. The heat exchanger will hold about a cup or so in the line and if you shop vac out the line between the HE and the VD you get barely a few drops from the VD plug. I pull them all and vacuum all out just to be safe, but that is just me being me. :love: Mine is going to the dealer on Dec 4th to get the main screen replaced. I will update the end results in that topic I started when it gets completed.

Edited by wdr
So
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for this thread.  

I picked up my new 21 23LSV witht he M6 Saturday and when I got it home I decided to drain it.  The dealer water tested it when it arrived and it's been stored in their shop since it was delivered to MI.  We have a run of a few days of cold temps and my boat is not living in a heated space right now.  This thread was super helpful.  I'm not sure what the difference is on the '20 vs '21 23 LSV, but getting to the plugs is a bit of a challenge.  The access door in the floor for the V-drive was super simple and easy.  The manifold heat exchanger plugs on the other had were not as easy. Not difficult, though.  I had to take the divider panels out to gain access as I wasn't able to reach down between the manifold and panels to access the plugs  I also pulled the panel in front of the wakeview bench seat simply because I wanted to see how overall accessibility was.  It's not necessary to do so to remove and reinstall the plugs, however. 

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Thanks for this thread.  

I picked up my new 21 23LSV witht he M6 Saturday and when I got it home I decided to drain it.  The dealer water tested it when it arrived and it's been stored in their shop since it was delivered to MI.  We have a run of a few days of cold temps and my boat is not living in a heated space right now.  This thread was super helpful.  I'm not sure what the difference is on the '20 vs '21 23 LSV, but getting to the plugs is a bit of a challenge.  The access door in the floor for the V-drive was super simple and easy.  The manifold heat exchanger plugs on the other had were not as easy. Not difficult, though.  I had to take the divider panels out to gain access as I wasn't able to reach down between the manifold and panels to access the plugs  I also pulled the panel in front of the wakeview bench seat simply because I wanted to see how overall accessibility was.  It's not necessary to do so to remove and reinstall the plugs, however. 

I’ve found that all boats with the walk through have much limited access for maintenance. Trade off I guess. 

This thread has reminded me of @IXFE’s trick of the fishing line on the plugs though and need to try to remember later and not just while making this post. 

20 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’ve found that all boats with the walk through have much limited access for maintenance. Trade off I guess. 

This thread has reminded me of @IXFE’s trick of the fishing line on the plugs though and need to try to remember later and not just while making this post. 

That post is in this thread.  

I agree on the walkthrough boats.  Definitely more cramped from the previous generation.  

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Thanks for this thread.  

You didn't mention the fourth plug, the one down in the bilge.  That one is a royal PITA, although it was a little easier in my 24 MXZ than it was in my 25 LSV.  I didn't even use fishing line this year.  Lol.